I'm one a you guys'z now - I bought a diesel 60 - rear spring questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13395
I'm one a you guys'z now - I bought a diesel 60 - rear spring questions

A 1984 BJ60 with 332000 kms, from the original owner. Oil changes ever 3000 kms with a four inch stack of reciepts to prove. H55F, 3B, brown with ugly greenish interior. I love this thing. It cost me 5K Canadian with an excellent body, needs a rocker and has some puffiness here and there. In Ontario that's a sweet body for a cruiser and I think it's a deal.

The truck runs and drives like new, only issues are the steering box has a bit of play (adjustment) and the springs are bagged out back.

What can I do about the rear springs? I was thinking about adding a leaf as the springs look OK, just sort of getting bagged.

It was really funny as the seller was JUST leaving as a friend pulls in with a 2000 ZR2 Blazer he just picked up for 10K... He thought I was nuts when I told him that this rusty brown piece of shit with tons of miles just cost me 5K. I guess it's a matter of opinion
Old 05-17-2005, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 12758
Cool JL - welcome to the club! You know you belonged here too long ago
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2005, 10:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 6816
congrats bud!
you're in northern cali, right?!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 12758
JL is canuck through and through
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2005, 02:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 25339
What's the frame like, especially the rear around the shock crossmember? I tried the add a leaf route on mine when it had saggy butt syndrome and I ended up with a snapped main a year or so later. The BJ60's and the FJ60's are identical in everything other than engine, engine wiring and the tranny input shaft so a lift for an FJ60 works!

btw. I'd have done the same as you and picked up the BJ60 over any Jimmy or other peice of crap!
cruiser guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2005, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 13395
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser guy
What's the frame like, especially the rear around the shock crossmember? I tried the add a leaf route on mine when it had saggy butt syndrome and I ended up with a snapped main a year or so later. The BJ60's and the FJ60's are identical in everything other than engine, engine wiring and the tranny input shaft so a lift for an FJ60 works!

btw. I'd have done the same as you and picked up the BJ60 over any Jimmy or other peice of crap!
Frame is amazing, has been oiled every year, looks super solid. I'm not really planning on lifting this one, maybe a 2" spring lift but that's about it. The 3Bs are not very powerful and pushing more surface area would hurt it a lot I think. Just an ARB, my spare winch, rear bumper, some 750R16 XZLs or something and some camping gear
Old 05-18-2005, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Turbo it!!!
It'll be like a new truck. I'll never have another naturally aspirated diesel. The turbo has all kinds of pluses and very few negatives.
cruiser guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.