Pirate 4x4 banner

Broken Carrier again!

735 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  woody 
#1 ·
This is the second carrier that has broke after welding it up. We welded the first one with regular rod broke within 6 months. The second was welded with rod made for welding cast metal. My buddy has welded up 15-20 rigs with no problems. So what i'm wondering is there locker option that comes with a carrier? I'm leaning towards the detroit locker but at $540.00 Thats a nice chunk of change. That auburn comes with a carrier also but not that much of a price difference compared to the Detroit, and i would just go with the detroit. Any other options? Have you guys ever heard anyone selling a used Detroit? Thanks

#3 ·
Auburn is not a locker, limited slip.

Detroit is full carrier and costly.

ARB is full carrier and more expensive.

The Cruiser carrier is super strong. I have never seen or heard of one breaking that had not been heated to hell with welding for a Lincoln locker.

As for the alternatives, do an Aussie. I have been very happy with my 2.

#5 ·
He did on 1 of them weld just the spiders but it broke and the broke 1/2 tooth off the ring gear. Maybe i will try the aussie and see how it goes. I'm currently running a lock rite up front and i've had real good luck so far. What's the difference between lockrite and aussie? Also where do i find an aussie and are they comparable in price to a lockrite.

#6 ·
Aussie is a little less expensive. They have basically taken the lockrite and improved on it in a few areas. Mine chatters less than any Lockrite I have ever owned.

I have yet to hear any "Bangs" like I did with my Lockrites...

#9 ·
Rod welding? Maybe that's the issue. We did mine with a big Millermatic wire feed. I followed Woody's writeup to the "T" and then some. Don't weld the inside of the spriders like I did :eek: , lots of filing the weld out to get the center pin back in :shaking: . Although I carry an extra third back in my buds Tow rig, I haven't had any problems yet. Like wngrog & pinhead mentioned, I haven't heard of one failing that was done right.
Lot of luck,
Campy

#10 ·
I've busted 4 coarse pinions running the same welded carrier.....see my writeup on how to do it.

installing a fine spline setup this weekend, busted a cryo-treated coarse one on my last trip out....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.