tranny fluid in tcase..need help ASAP - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2002, 06:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 918
Send a message via AIM to peterfj40
tranny fluid in tcase..need help ASAP

i was going to check the level of oil in the tcase, since it leaks about a drop or two every every couple days...when i open the fill plug, tranny fluid and a little oil start gushing out!!...this is a first...the tranny fluid never has gone in there before, i know this because i check every so often and know it has just happened...so basically i have to take out the tranny and tcase and go about finding out whats wrong and how to fix it...any other automatic guys run into a similar problem???
Old 02-27-2002, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
Easy fix,

MAF makes a kit to remedy this, but what you do is join the two units together with a hose tha allows the oil to flow back to the transmission when it drains into the transfer case.

Hell, you can look at the picture of the kit and make a knock off yourself for 1/4 the price.
www.cottonlandcruisers.com
www.rockmidgetphotography.com

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2002, 08:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1599
Location: Indianapolis, IN. Home of the Brickyard 400, Indy 500, and USGP!
Send a message via Yahoo to SpaceGhost
Did I see auto, as in tranny and fluid? Do not use the MAF jury rig to fix this, mixing the fluids will result in a tow truck and a some $$$ spent.

Fix it correctly by replacing the input seal on the tcase. Simple fix, painful procedure. Without knowing the particulars of your setup. You can likely pull the tcase and change the seal and reinstall. I would suggest a friend to help reinstall the tcase, and becareful not to damage the seal while hanging the tcase back on the tranny. Take a look at the tranny for a similar out put seal, I don't know jack about autos, but I assume something keeps the fluids in.

Now if it is not an auto tranny, Nolens suggestion is easier to install than replacing the seal. But it is not a fix, rather a patch. A convenient one at that.

UROC Team #180 running:
BFG's 37" Krawlers, Gordon Beadlocks, HP60's, T-Max w/Blue Diamond Rope, Green Filters, Marlin's ToyBox, 3.8 Atlas II, and "I got the shaft from Jesse" but I couldn't have done without Badlands Machine Shop (765-762-2981)!
SpaceGhost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2002, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 918
Send a message via AIM to peterfj40
yeah, automatic...this makes me want to throw a stick back in there, and go sm465-np205 and get a centered 60 for it
Old 02-27-2002, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 1313
I am assuming that you have an adapter between your tranny and transfer case. You also probably have a spud shaft that fits over the output shaft of the tranny and acts as the input shaft for the transfer case. The spud shaft will have a smooth section that rides against a seal or two in the adapter housing. If the adapter is from Advance Adapters I know you can get replacment seals from them. Good Luck!!
OBERON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2002, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 10333
I had the same problem after installing a TH 400 with Advance Adapter. The fix that worked for me was to go to a bearing shop with the original seal,they where able to find a dual lip seal with the same dimensions.I got 2 seals and placed them in the adapter back to back. That was 6 yrs ago,no leaks yet!
Old 02-28-2002, 04:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Moderating Midget

Member # 1154
Send a message via AIM to wngrog
Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceGhost
Did I see auto, as in tranny and fluid? Do not use the MAF jury rig to fix this, mixing the fluids will result in a tow truck and a some $$$ spent.
Dude I am so sorry I did not read closer and see that you run an automatic!

Sorry!

P/S, keep the auto. You won't be happy with the gear reduction of a 205/465. It is just not low enough.
www.cottonlandcruisers.com
www.rockmidgetphotography.com

USAF Veteran 1988-1998 GOD Bless America
wngrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.