FJ40 re-buildup.?. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 2363
FJ40 re-buildup.?. update need pic poster

Hello everyone been on this site for quite some time, had a toy pickup that i had traded for a landcruiser, had the land cruiser running end of last summer then rolled it in a snow run . Anyways i am about there to getting it rebuilt to at least a running condition so i can wheel a bit at least. Anyways i am going to have a bunch of questions so get ready. the red star is coming and pics will be on the way from my new 30 dollar digi cam. Anyways my first set of questions is as follows.

I never had this thing streetable but i want to this means i want things like windsheild wipers and things, i have seen the rediculous prices stock like switches go for so what did those who used all stock functions use for switches?

Also pics will follow but i have a double welded steering arm for crossover and the damn thing hits the frame currently, before i invest in a high steer setup i was wondering what the best kit is to still use my tie rods on to reduce costs (saginaw steering)? 4x4 labs looks nice but with my setup i'm not sure i want it

Last for right now but i want to see pics or a nice description of how you guys routed your fuel lines with the 350 setup, i had mine ran but i don't feel comfortable with how i did it because of the location relative to the headers so? yes i searched and looked at pics but come on fuel lines are hard to see

Anyways when i rolled it the engine caught on fire so i'm rewiring it and fixing all that was wrong so i got room to work with here. Pics are coming i swear it.

Last edited by desertboy; 09-03-2005 at 09:44 PM.
desertboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 2363
come on now i got this thing moving today under it's own power, now if i had the time and patience to wire in all the electrical
Old 08-21-2005, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 1797
Send a message via ICQ to Cruiser Ken
Switches: buy'em used, unless you have to redo all your wiring anyway, used stock switches will be easiest to integrate and lowest cost IMO.

steering: my steering evolved much like yours on a 40 trail rig I had. crossover, then high steer with stock tie rod, drag link, then finally upgraded those as well. Wasted money all along the way. Go straight to the heavy duty shit and save yourself some pain and money.

fuel lines: routed mine near the tranny hump side, tight against the firewall. There was plenty of room between the firewall and exhaust manifold, but it was a Ford 302 so may not be a good example to compare to.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 2363
as far as switches go i really want ones that perform the same functions as the stock FJ switches because i am redoing my whole woring after an enginer fire when i rolled.

This weekend was the first time my landcruiser ran under it's own power in 9 or more months and it inspired me beyond everything to get it done, my wiring is the killer right now as i have no switches in the cab that are workable but i want the stock functions.

Anyways pics will be up i promise, after an identity theft thing with my college it isn't an easy thing to re setup paypal but it will be done.

Anyways it runs the sm465 shifting was sorted out and i'm just awaiting a new harness to start the painfull process of soldering a vehicle up, i'm also probaly going to do an SOA before i get back on the trail as my suspension flexes like a third grader, obviously its weak
Old 09-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 2363
ok, the rig is rolling and driving agaiin, has absolutely no electrical besides engine and minimalist electrical. If someone is willing i have few pics to be posted my red star is coming but i have a few pics so you guys can see whatr i have that way when i ask questions you all won't think i'm crazy.

Also, i need more throw out of my clutch slave but can't ID what i have from pics. So any info on id'ing clutch slaves and masters i would appriciate cause i can't tell