Need: Vacuum Diagram for NON-USA 2F - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 32015
Need: Vacuum Diagram for NON-USA 2F

i've got an 80 FJ40, 2F

Previous owner hosed the distributor advance line to a tee that also picks up the distributor VENT!

and for those that know what i mean: Canuck motors have no smog equipment, no VAV, no solenoids no nothing. there's vacuum advance for distributor, for the hot air warmup reg, auto choke, but no smog equipment from the factory.

any help would be appreciated.

thanx

Last edited by Mekanix; 09-12-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Mekanix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Desert Rat

Member # 27432
Since you are running without the equipment, what's the point in having the diagram? All you really need is an efficient way to plumb the dizzy advance and to make sure you've got the power valve in carb working properly.

How many ports on the inboard [valve cover] side of the carb at the base?

Originally Posted by lc tpi
...if I have to buy them from Trail Gear I guess I dont need them.

65SWB45, 64LWB45, 68FJ40, 72VJ40, 76K5, 73Sub454, 97Sub5.7, 2002 Trailblazer

tlca #1086
member: Trail Crew-L.A. TLCA, Elwood Chapter, TLCA
65SWB45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2005, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 32015
Quote:
How many ports on the inboard [valve cover] side of the carb at the base?
there's only one facing the valve cover at the base of the nylon spacer. the carb also has one on the rad side of the carb base that is "capped" as you can see in that pic, there's a thermo unit that is capped off too. that's why i ask.

the carb seems to be in good shape, exhaust just has a severe gassy smell when running.

thanks for the help.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Desert Rat

Member # 27432
Run the distributor advance to the port on the inboard side of the carb. It should have no vacuum at idle, but pick up vacuum shortly above the idle.

As far as the "gassy" smell, would that be rich gassy or lean [burning eyes] gassy. What color are the spark plugs? For instance, blackened, sooty plugs would be consistent with a rich mixture.

tlca #1086
Old 09-14-2005, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 32015
Thanks for the update. It's stuff like the vac switch that i'm worried about.

as for the smell, it's the "my clothes smell like gas, don't light a match, and man do i have a headache" kind of smell. Plugs look to be within normal colors.

carb seems to be in good shape. i soaked it in seafoam, and cleaned out the ports / lines. fuel filters and lines are new, comming from a new Jegs fuel cell. Vehicle is operated at sea level most of the time, max elevation for wheeling up to 3000' at absolute most.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Desert Rat

Member # 27432
Ok then the next question is whether we are dealing with raw gas that is leaking from somewhere, or whether is is fuel vapors. Lets assume for now that you have checked for signs of visible fuel leaks, and that we are dealing with a vapor issue. One of the common misconceptions is that ALL smog equipment is bad.

Your fuel tank builds up pressure as the fuel level drops and the air [read:vapor] space increases. The 70 and newer cruisers came with extra vents in the tank to draw this vapor out of the tank. The 73 and newer cruisers utilized a charcoal canister that condensed the heaver particles of gasoline, while sending on the lighter vapors to a vent above the fuel bowl in the carb.

It is not evident from the photo that you have this vent, so I would suggest that if you have a fuel vapor 'smell' inside the truck, that you take one of the vent lines on your tank and plumb it into your air cleaner somewhere between the air filter element and the carb itself, so that there will be sufficient 'draw' to attract the vapors.

tlca #1086
Old 09-16-2005, 06:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 32015
Thanks, I guess that i didn't make it that clear. I am running no top or doors or even tail gate right now, the smell is definitely from exhaust and gets carried in by the wind while driving. The fuel cell has a return line from the mechanical pump that is teed and gravity vented to atmosphere at the rear of the truck, but the odor is definitely comming out of the exhaust. I've checked my vacuum connections yesterday, and all the hoses are good and new.

Our crusiers up here do not run any smog equipment right out of the factory, so perhaps that's what we're getting mixed up about. I guess that i'll need to send my carb out to one of the gurus on this board to tweak, but i would think that the rest of the truck might be important to fine tune it.

If there's a better picture that i could ost, let me know what to include. BTW, i still would like to know what the vacuum switch is for!
Old 09-19-2005, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Desert Rat

Member # 27432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanix
Thanks, I guess that i didn't make it that clear. I am running no top or doors or even tail gate right now, the smell is definitely from exhaust and gets carried in by the wind while driving. The fuel cell has a return line from the mechanical pump that is teed and gravity vented to atmosphere at the rear of the truck, but the odor is definitely comming out of the exhaust. I've checked my vacuum connections yesterday, and all the hoses are good and new.

Our crusiers up here do not run any smog equipment right out of the factory, so perhaps that's what we're getting mixed up about. I guess that i'll need to send my carb out to one of the gurus on this board to tweak, but i would think that the rest of the truck might be important to fine tune it.

If there's a better picture that i could ost, let me know what to include. BTW, i still would like to know what the vacuum switch is for!
The part that you have circled in the second pic is not a switch, but a filtered vacuum port for the other emissions devices on a smogged landcruiser. It is not a source of concern.

tlca #1086
Old 09-20-2005, 04:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 32252
The gentleman answering your questions, Mark, would be one of those carb rebuild gurus...

Tailpipe placement is key to keeping exhaust out of your cab with the top off - how is your s routed currently?
Fort Collins, CO
[URL=www.tlca.org]TLCA[/URL] #10713
[URL=www.cruisemoab.com]Rising Sun 4x4 Club[/URL]
PabloCruise is offline   Reply With Quote