'60 series frame swap - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 09:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 25339
'60 series frame swap

I decided to take the "bull by the horns" and ELIMINATE rust from the frame of my '82 BJ60. I was somewhat encouraged to do this by my buddy who also has a BJ60 of similar vintage and who broke the spring mount right off the frame due to rust!

I located a rust free BJ60 frame here in Central America last spring and brought some RustBullit to paint it with when we returned in the summer.

I was finally able to arrange to get the swap happening the week prior to Christmas vacation. Drove down to Tegucigalpa, Honduras on the 11th of December in preparation to start the swap first thing Monday the 12th.

I'll post up pics of the whole operation but remember, this is Central America and the shops are NOT equipped like they are at home.
Attached Images

'67 Toyota LandCruiser FJ45LV being restored by my shop class c/w 3B and turbo, H41 low range 4 speed, as well as minitruck disc upgrade!
cruiser guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Here are some pictures of the truck prior to the work and of the frame trouble spots. There will be more frame pic's later once the old frame is out from under the truck.

You can see how good the body mount bolts looked!
Attached Images

'67 Toyota LandCruiser FJ45LV being restored by my shop class c/w 3B and turbo, H41 low range 4 speed, as well as minitruck disc upgrade!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2005, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Up with the body! Out comes the old frame on day two! There was nice wobbly supports holding up the old body and we had to air down the rear tires just to get the frame out.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2005, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Out comes the frame! Scary stuff when you look at how it's supported.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 8568
Wow that looks like a sketchy operation.
TLCA# 5305
RustyNailJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 10:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 34369
looks like your enjoying your Christmas holiday...

is that thing being held up by a 4x4 post balanced on a floor jack?

chris

Q: How do you find God to avoid Hell?
A: Through his son, Jesus Christ.

Q: What does this mean to me?
A: If you are living your life without accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you are on the road to Hell.[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
DHONDAGOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2005, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHONDAGOD
looks like your enjoying your Christmas holiday...

is that thing being held up by a 4x4 post balanced on a floor jack?

chris
Yep, jacked up on a 4x4 balanced on a floor jack! Scary, but like I said, shops here are generally not nearly as well equipped as at home.

For pics of the Christmas vacation in Tikal, Guatemala check out http://www.4wdtrips.net/forum/default.aspx?f=10&m=27511
This trip was AFTER the frame swap and all went well so I'm happy!

Last edited by cruiser guy; 12-31-2005 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Here's some more pics as we are swapping stuff to the new frame. You can see the body supported on a 2x6 at the rear and just behind the tranny area.
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2005, 05:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Now the problem is "How to transfer the engine/tranny/transfer to the new frame WITHOUT a hoist?"
YES, they did remove it with the pipes and chain/rope and a bunch of guys!

And you guys at home talk of "booty fab", you ain't seen nuthin' yet!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2005, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 8568
You sure dont hesitate to take a cruiser off its frame.
Where do you get all the helpers? Guatemala Mofia?
TLCA# 5305

Last edited by RustyNailJustin; 12-31-2005 at 06:32 PM.
RustyNailJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2006, 08:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNailJustin
You sure dont hesitate to take a cruiser off its frame.
Where do you get all the helpers? Guatemala Mofia?
Actually, I'm serious, this IS a professional mechanics shop in Tegucigalpa, Honduras and all the guys except me and the guy where I was staying are his employees. It's relatively standard. Some shops will be better and some even worse equipped (dirt floors etc.). Shops like we're used to at home are only found at places like Sears.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Here's the engine going into the new frame. We decided that an engine hoist was a good idea so they searched one out from a neighboring shop. There is even a picture of me one of the guys took.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2006, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Frame was back under the truck at the end of the third day! Then I could rest easy again as the truck couldn't fall off the supports any longer.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2006, 10:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 34369
that is so awsome! scary but awsome..

hey, post some pics of the daily common things that we all take for granted here. things like the shop, average home, gas station etc.. its interesting what and how other people live in other parts of the world. makes everything we have here seem a little better by proportion...

chris

A: If you are living your life without accepting Jesus Christ as your personal savior, you are on the road to Hell.[/QUOTE][/COLOR]
Old 01-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Here's the truck back on the frame getting finished up. The fourth day was basically putting everything back together.

Chris, if you'd like some pictures of travels in Guatemala, I've got some posts on the www.4wdtrips.net site. Some of the destruction from Hurricane Stan. You can PM me and I can let you know more if you want. I'll be in California in mid-February.
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2006, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Here's the finished truck and the team, less me, that did the work! Complete frame swap in 4 1/2 days!
No more rusty frame issues for me for at least 20 years!
Attached Images

Last edited by cruiser guy; 01-01-2006 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 37146
Send a message via AIM to 89s rule
wow you are one brave sole. Looks like some of the stuff I might try to do at my house, but even scarrier! Mad props.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89s rule
wow you are one brave sole. Looks like some of the stuff I might try to do at my house, but even scarrier! Mad props.
Hey, it got the job done and now there is NO rust on my frame! I know folks at home likely have better facilities in their home garage but when a mechanic here makes $20 - 30 a day you can't expect alot more. I'm happy, it worked well and they were careful (well as careful as one can be given the circumstances )!

Old 01-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 12758
That is really pretty damn cool. Congrats and very cool that you swapped your frame in Guatemala!
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 34369
how much to bring the hood thats hanging on the wall in the second picture with you?

cruiser looks good! see you in feb!

chris

Old 01-08-2006, 06:25 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 25339
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHONDAGOD
how much to bring the hood thats hanging on the wall in the second picture with you?

cruiser looks good! see you in feb!

chris
I would if I could but it's a little big for airline baggage . I'm flying north and driving south with another teachers truck from Washington state once I'm finished my business in Vancouver.

I e-mailed you on your school e-mail account but no response yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.