Rear 60 question - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Send a message via AIM to TxCruzr
Rear 60 question

I found a d60 that someone has laying around and I have a few questions. Right now all I know is it is out of a 3/4 ton ford and it is a high pinion 44 front and a d60 rear and that they are only a few inches wider than a wranger.
I'll try to find out the year and what not to see if its worth it or not. I'm hoping the d44 is driver side drop so I can sell it to my brother with a family discount (+$100)
I will still be running my front cruiser ax;e still and want to keep my 6 lug rims w/ beadlocks, so i've been searching and I can't find anywhere to get the d60 from 8 lug to 6. I keep finding stuff to convert a front d60 to 6 lug so it must be possible. Who does it?
Anyone know anything about the axle with the info I have so far?
Also, what is the width of a '69 cruiser axle?

'69 FJ-40 - under construction
TxCruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 24859
Doug Brown , extreme axle , highonda on this board has the hubs for the rear 6 lug IIRC.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 23362
Send a message via AIM to bustanutley
fj40 axle width is 55"
Old 07-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Quote:
Originally Posted by peesalot
Doug Brown , extreme axle , highonda on this board has the hubs for the rear 6 lug IIRC.
I sent him a pm as I found all his stuff for the front axle. It didn't look like he had anything for the ford axles, whats different?
I'll also probably have to install disc brakes to clear the 15" wheels too.

Last edited by TxCruzr; 07-12-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Got some more info on the dana60.

Quote:
The rear is about 66"
They are off of a 70's ford 3/4 ton with leaf springs NOT COILS!!! so its about a 75 or 76.
the brakes are the twin piston calipers
Any other sources for 6 lug rear d60?

Old 07-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 918
Send a message via AIM to peterfj40
never done it, but you switch it from full floater to semi using 9" axle big bearing ends and custom shafts.. so basically it becomes similar to a 9" rear or toyota 8" axle but w/ the dana 60 pumpkin

Last edited by peterfj40; 07-13-2006 at 11:38 AM.
peterfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
So is it really worth it then? Seems like I would be spending more money to down grade it. I figured there were shafts that were 6 lug instead of 8 lug, isn't that what you would do with like a 9"?

Old 07-13-2006, 11:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 23362
Send a message via AIM to bustanutley
Why don't you just upgrade to pig rear shafts and a fine spline rear pinion if you don't already have one? I run the smallest tires in my crew (37's) and we all run all yota drive train. The raisin runs 44's on yota axles.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Going to an auto with a different t-case = need center diff.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 5286
Send a message via Yahoo to Jason M
On a FF rear axle the hubs have the lug studs, not the shafts. The shafts are independant of the WMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RECENT ORDER FROM OUR SEX TOYS WEBSITE.

YOU'VE REQUESTED THE LARGE RED VIBRATOR AS FEATURED ON OUR WALL DISPLAY.

PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER ITEM.

THAT'S OUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Jason M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Old Rock Doc

Member # 915
Follow Peesalot's advice. Here is a direct link.

http://www.geartechhd.com/gallery/di...?album=2&pos=0

and a picture of the new hubs.
Attached Images

Last edited by Medusa; 07-13-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 9639
Send a message via ICQ to Advent Horizon Send a message via AIM to Advent Horizon Send a message via MSN to Advent Horizon Send a message via Yahoo to Advent Horizon
If you need a centered diff your best bet is the hybrid axle. By far the strongest, cheapest setup you're going to get. You'll be able to build the whole axle cheaper than just the 6 lug hubs will cost, and you won't need a special jig to narrow it.

But if you're going to the trouble of centering it, I'd do it with an IFS rear to gain 3" of width, and put the IFS hubs on the front axle too.
TLCA member #12717
Advent Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 48807
I'm running a rear ford dana 60 from a 1970 camper special, 8 lug full floater, with 63" wms. the above hubs will work to convert them to 6 lug.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa
Follow Peesalot's advice. Here is a direct link.

http://www.geartechhd.com/gallery/di...?album=2&pos=0

and a picture of the new hubs.
Thanks for the link Medusa! I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and try to get some info from them.
I'm currently running 3" spacers so that puts me at a WMS of 61". If it is really 66", thats 5" more than what I'm at, thats kinda crazy. If its 63" that'll be fine. I'll try to dig some info up on it.

I have looked at Proffitts mini/cruiser hybrid and it is rather reasonable, specially since I already have the 3rd to shove in there. The only thing is that I want to be able to hammer on this thing all day and not have to think about the rear end falling out. But with a bigger cruiser pinion and later down the road some bling mini shafts, maybe it will be bullet proof? Whats the comparison of a mini axle shaft, a 9"?

Old 07-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 6569
60 rear bore the spindles, 35 spline shafts, 35 spline spool or arb if you can swing it. Upgrade to a front 60 when you can. Run 8 lug and 6 lug till all 8 on all corners. Never compare 60's to yota crap. You can only polish a turd so much before turd don't float uphill. You can 5 bolt,cromo ALL DAY LONG, but in the end you wuill wish you went 8 lug 60's and let m eat. Chip away at it. Having toyoata stuff insures that you like to wrench on the trail. 60 good odds you won't have to touch them. Now that I have the yota people fired up, rant off
Old 07-13-2006, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 9639
Send a message via ICQ to Advent Horizon Send a message via AIM to Advent Horizon Send a message via MSN to Advent Horizon Send a message via Yahoo to Advent Horizon
You could do a 'cruiser/tacoma rear hybrid...That would match the 61" that you are right now without spacers and cost roughly the same.
TLCA member #12717
Advent Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalcruz
60 rear bore the spindles, 35 spline shafts, 35 spline spool or arb if you can swing it. Upgrade to a front 60 when you can. Run 8 lug and 6 lug till all 8 on all corners. Never compare 60's to yota crap. You can only polish a turd so much before turd don't float uphill. You can 5 bolt,cromo ALL DAY LONG, but in the end you wuill wish you went 8 lug 60's and let m eat. Chip away at it. Having toyoata stuff insures that you like to wrench on the trail. 60 good odds you won't have to touch them. Now that I have the yota people fired up, rant off
I would like to do that but the whole college kid thing comes into play. I have 6 lug beadlocks that are staying and the front will be staying for a while too. I still DD it and need to carry a spare to having 6 & 8 lug wouldn't work.
I talked to Doug at extreme axle and he gave me some options but it really starts jacking the price up quick. I just happened to fall on this axle and was trying to see if it would work. Just trying to slowly collect parts right now.
Also been looking at the ford 9" but it seems like I'd run into the same thing as the d60 but with less strength. Such a pain

Old 07-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 1700
the ford d60 is not worth it in my opinion. that is unless you are planning on throwing money at it. it will come with the 30 spline shafts and be significantly wider than your cruiser front axle. you also know that it will have 8 lugs and that would have to be addressed.

i say find a centered taco rear axle or even a t100 (depending on desired width)and run that. money wise it just makes sense. the only real thing to worry about then is matching the gear ratio's. just my op.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 7233
Send a message via AIM to Wilson
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCruzr
Also been looking at the ford 9" but it seems like I'd run into the same thing as the d60 but with less strength. Such a pain

I wouldn't consider a stock D60 to be stronger than a stock 9" by much. A slightly larger ring gear yes, put the 9" has better pinion support and 31 spl shafts.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wait this ain't Tx..

Member # 9380
Quote:
Originally Posted by High5
i say find a centered taco rear axle or even a t100 (depending on desired width)and run that. money wise it just makes sense. the only real thing to worry about then is matching the gear ratio's. just my op.
I really think that is the route I will probably end up going. Proffitt has a good deal on a mini/cruiser axle which would keep me from having to mess with regearing and throwing in a locker. Off to the mini truck forum to pester them

Old 07-14-2006, 10:15 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 6816
splitpea runs 6 lug 60s front and rear. send him a pm.