New to the Fj cruisers, a few general questions - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 21453
New to the Fj cruisers, a few general questions

Long story short, completely destroyed my beauty 97 k2500 recently and im gonna be looking for another vehicle. I got a rental titan (which im not a fan of) for now and when that goes im gonna run some 35's on my 75 chevy til i buy something a bit better as a driver. Looking for something with a capable 4wd that will make for a good DD and i know some of the later fj series (Fj80 i think?) had electronic lockers front, rear, and in the diff, along with a couple nice offset straight axles that were comprable to dana 60's....Sounds to me like a excellent candidate for a mild lift and a decent set of meats for the occasional trail use and such. Plus iv sworn to myself after wrecking my 3/4 ton gmc that im never again driving something that isnt a bit older and well built...

Particularly, what am i looking at for years for what i think i can get in a stock land cruiser? Am i smoking crack thinking they actually had lockers or is my feeble mind correct? having trouble finding info on the vehicle. I have heard the gas engines are notoriously gutless, but as long as i can run say, 35's with possibly a simple regear and be fairly streetable ill probably be more then happy. What are the options on engines, was there a diesel in the states? If so, am i better off with a gasser? The only option im familiar with is the 2f which iv never seen built into a powerhouse though its probably been done....also the 2f is in the older 80's too if im correct? Sorry for being such a tard, just having trouble finding info.

Last edited by Kilborg; 12-04-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Kilborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 474
Firstly, I am not an 80 series expert - there are many around here that are who will no doubt speak up. But to answer some of your basic questions; yes, the 80 series is available with factory lockers - not all of them come so equipped - and many people who bought them from the dealer don't know what they are (they just wanted a "loaded" SUV) so you might get some interesting responses from sellers who are, shall we say, not very enlightened Why, of course it has locks!! The mid 90's are good candidates. Lift kits are relatively inexpensive, and there are after market treated axles and front CV joints (known as Birfields) that make the axle almost bullet proof for mild to medium wheeling.

The only draw-back to the 80 series is that they automatically want to stop at every gas station - not very economical for a DD - 15 MPG, IIRC.

HTH, Andy
Old 12-04-2006, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21453
Well coming from a rig that was only getting around 10-12 (very healthy vortec 350 in a 3/4 ton pickup) i guess i wouldnt feel the difference in economy. The truck im building to replace the 3/4 ton i already have a good 427 and other stuff for so economy isnt so much a factor...

So the aftermarket seems rpetty good....what about parts? Are they available on shelves readily? Cheapness? should i stay in chevy land where everything is relatively inexpensive? Also, to know about these lockers...It's my understanding that the are air operated and have an onboard compressor and that the case differential is electronically locked. Thanks for the help thus far you might be creating another cruiser freak....
Kilborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 22408
Look for a '93 or later. It's an FZJ80 then and it had the option for dif locks and a has much healthier motor. If you're looking at pictures on ebay or elsewhere the dif lock swicth is just to the left of the steering column. It's a rotary switch. If it doesn't have 'em it'll be a blank plate.
Rat70FJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 33583
IH8MUD.COM ---80 TECH SECTION. THERE IS A GUIDE TO BUYING 80 SERIES IN THE STICKY SECTION. LOVE MY 97FZJ80 WIL F/R LOCKERS