454 carb - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 18917
454 carb

Finally getting to cleaning up the engine bay and poking around the Quadrajet I'm finding it is toast. Do you guys have some input on the Holley offroad carbs? Have a factory Holley cast manifold with an adapter for the Q-Jet and would like to stay away from another adapter- less things to leak.

Was thinking the 670cfm would do the trick. The 454 is a '70 Chevelle SS 4-bolt main, internally balanced, .03 over, large oval ports (2.19/1.88 valves), HEI.. it is smooth and seems to take a lot of fuel in stride pretty easy. I'm going for something tame on primaries and some roar when the secondaries open up. From what I've read that is the Q-Jet's forte.

Anyways, for those that might have the Holley Truck Avenger, how have you found it's manners and what has been your experience? What size motor and what carb flow are you running? Does it stay tuned or do you have to keep at it? Have you had to do a lot of setting up before you got it right? How is the transition from primaries to 2nds? Any info appreciated- pre thanks!

Having a great time with it in the snow as it is- it is set way advanced to overcome a large vacuum leak. Internals are worn and it still is smooth when warm and roars to life when you get on it.
Ken, Cascade Cruisers, TLCA #4408
64 FJ40, 66 FJ454, 79 FJ40, 81 BJ42, 85 mini, 89 FJ62
eshelbyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 6816
i don't really have any experience with the holley. i did have a q-jet on my BBC and loved it. then i installed a carter/edelbrok offroad carb. what a pile of crap! but then again, i was a lot younger and that carb sure sounded good from what the magazines said......
anyways, went back to the q-jet and never looked back.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 21453
If you can swing it, go tbi...a 670cfm carb isnt really enough for big power and nor is tbi but if your looking for reliability and something that runs nearly upside down the tbi is it.

That being said, iv never had much luck with the edelbrocks or the holleys iv ran. Under ideal conditions with tweaking they can be great but the next day is never the same....Im all for efi when possible. However, i have had really good luck with quadrajets. Tune them a little and do a rebuild and they usaully work about as flawless as a carb gets, plus you can get pretty good power outta them.

Also, These experiences were all on smallblock chevies (350's and 400's). I have just recently entered the BBC world with a 427 talldeck motor.. though smallblocks and bigblocks arent all that much different outside of the obvious size differences.

Last edited by Kilborg; 12-05-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Kilborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 18917
I'm all for fuel injection too, but I want something to hold me over until I get a few other projects out of the way. The Q-jet for it's worn rods and vacuum leaks runs pretty sweet, if a little rich. Eventually I'd like to run a TBI with a MegaSquirt controller.

I'm leaning toward keeping and rebuilding what I've got. George's comments make another nail in the coffin.

What I was hoping to hear was someone that knew Holleys and thought they were bulletproof enough to spend 300 dukets on a new ebay avenger.

For the flow, I think a little mellow is better than the 770. The 45 has a rear Dana 60 housing with what appear to be Cruiser full floater axles built into it. Not sure what is inside the gooey center yet... at any rate at least one side's inner splines are going so I have to be careful until I can get to that.

I am building up a BJ42 to be a trail/expedition rig (37s, lowish SOA, turbo, toybox, discs, alum tub, yummy metaltech protection) so that'll be taking time away from the 45 over winter.

Thanks for the feedback-
Ken, Cascade Cruisers, TLCA #4408
64 FJ40, 66 FJ454, 79 FJ40, 81 BJ42, 85 mini, 89 FJ62

Last edited by eshelbyk; 12-05-2006 at 10:50 AM.
eshelbyk is offline   Reply With Quote