Pirate 4x4 banner

Baja FJ45 (Buildup thread)

240K views 593 replies 126 participants last post by  troy scott 
#1 ·
Finally starting the Baja 45 project! Little background. After years of looking for the right one I bought a 63 FJ45 SWB from a guy in Sacramento. I had big ideas from the get go but I was not sure what way to take this little truck. I knew what I was going to be using the rig for and that it had to be very dependable, store a fair amount of gear and be fun to drive. My original thought was 5.3 Chevy, 4L60E, Atlas. To be honest I have done a fair amount of fuel injected conversions and wanted a new challenge. Why not keep it Toyota? Not a week after this revelation a buddy of mine wrecked his 98 Taco with a 3.4 and a stick. I took this as a sign and bought the truck from the insurance a couple days later.
This truck will be taking my Girlfriend (Kelly) and I on many camping trips, and the trip it is really being built for, spending at least a month at a time on the Baja. Plus She loves Toyotas and would love to have something fun to drive in the summer.:D
Here are some pictures of the 45 and the Taco.

Attachments

See less See more
#374 ·
You're right on time. I was discussing with a friend of how mount the computer this week.
Good reference point.

How did you put the wiring through from the engine bay side of the firewall?
Are you planning on running original heater? I have the heater motor on the engine side in that spot and the square duct inside just under the glove box.

#375 ·
I went through the factory hole. The taco harness fits nicely. The good part of where the computer is mounted is you can get to the plugs fairly easy but everything is tucked up and out of the way.

Attachments

#379 ·
How do you plan to have a fan option? Originally blowing motor was in the engine bay. Thats where square duct coming from.
Also interested how do you plan on connecting windshield ducts.

#380 ·
The fan is a 3 speed unit. It sits on top of the heater core. It's all servo controlled by 3 dials so there are no goofy cables. Vintage air did a nice job of packaging a nice small heater that gets it. A friend of mine put one of these in a daily driver fj40 and it smokes the stock heater.

#384 ·
I think Bob the body man was feeling bad or bored yesterday and he came by and painted all the little odds and ends that needed to be green. Today all the pewter pieces get the paint.

Attachments

#388 ·
Lookin' good. Hope you make a trip back to AZ in this beauty.

#390 ·
This thing is built to see some road miles. Arizona is a for sure.
Not sure if I posted it but I acquired a brand spanking new ARB rooftop tent in a trade deal. I am going to build a rack over the bed that will house the tent. More to come on that this week.

#389 · (Edited)
From the product description Mr. Rice

Description: These Vintage Air Gen II heaters provide superior performance from the servo-controlled air door. They feature an improved case design and an exclusive electronic servo-actuated heater/coolant control valve. The heaters use a new 3-knob control that regulates temperature, fan speed, and the heat/defrost balance mode. The Vintage Air Gen II heaters are designed for use as floor outlets or to be connected to dash louvers.

#391 ·
Few dash lay out pics. Clean and simple. Heater, wipers and lights. I used new electronics and kept the factory knob for the lights. Its keyed with new factory switch and keys.

Attachments

#392 ·
Nickle an Dime. We are going slow but getting somewhere. If the Hydro fittings show up I will start her this weekend. The motor is ready to run. I am changing direction on the Chassis harness. I dont need 18 Circuits I need 8 so if you want a bad ass Painless harness PM me.

Attachments

#393 ·
I had a request to post a few pics of the steering linkage. Yes I kept the Factory 45 fender mount with a FJ60 box, 16" shocks and GM steering column. Its a tight fit but more than doable.
The last pic is just a shout of the front clip coming together.

Attachments

#398 ·
Living with the old rubber. I got some of that weather strip refresh stuff I will let you know how it turns out. That is the only piece of the entire vehicle that did not come out and apart. Every single piece was cleaned to bare metal right down to the gas pedal. Just no way to remove it and not damage it and there is no such thing as new with that stuff.

#400 · (Edited)
Looking very nice Justin.
I'm doing a frame off resto with mods on a 69 FJ-40.
The color you picked is it Lilly white?
Looks real close to first color I was going with.

Can't wait to see the finished results. :beer:

#406 ·
Got to work on the 45 a little today. I am going backwards at the moment. But the way I look at it, if I am building my dream Cruiser and taken this long to do it exactly how I want it what the big deal.
We have the bed off for paint and I could not let it go. I have not liked the way I built the gas tank straps from day 1. Finally today I started re building that portion. Not a huge deal but a days worth of Fab.
This is the way it was. I am worried about the Aluminum sitting on these straps and cracking the seams. Plus I needed to add a skid plate any ways.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.