S-shaped rear springs - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2002, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 228
Send a message via Yahoo to morgan
S-shaped rear springs

I just noticed this morning that the McCoy / MAF / JTO 2" FJ55 springs under my FJ55 (in SOA configuration) are S-shaped at the rear axle! The axle is canted backwards now - it no longer sits "level" on the apex of the spring. The part of the spring forward of the axle has a shallow arch and the part behind the axle has a pronounced arch. The pinion is pointed more up now. I've been running them for three years, the last year SOA without an anti-wrap bar. The rear of the 55 is sitting lower than the front, but I hadn't noticed the wrap before. I run big tires, and even empty the truck is 5700lbs. I'm putting Paul Decker's anti-wrap bar on this Sunday, and I'm wondering about these springs. Fronts look fine.

What's the effect/prognosis of running "wrapped" springs? I will look into getting some new ones from MAF and others. Any advice?

Morgan
Morgan Fletcher, Oakland, CA - 76 FJ55, 94 FJ80 - TLCA #5973
Ad Astra Per Alia Porci! - [url="http://www.birfield.com/~morgan"]http://www.birfield.com/~morgan[/url]
morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 02:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 7412
they are weaker and will break, its just a matter of time. and also how bad they are bent. i ran a bent set for a year before i got around to fixing them. put the traction bar on now before you pop a pinion off. mike
Old 07-11-2002, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 228
I've already broken one rear pinion, last year, and a friend watching me told me the rear wrapped before it broke.

I'm doing the anti-wrap bar for sure, just don't know whether to go with these springs again or something else.

Morgan
Ad Astra Per Alia Porci! - [url="http://www.birfield.com/~morgan"]http://www.birfield.com/~morgan[/url]
Old 07-11-2002, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 3760
I waould say try the 63' chevys. All the mini truck guys run the 3-4 pack. You should run the 5 with an overload to compensate for the weight.

Dan
Old 07-11-2002, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Old Rock Doc

Member # 915
I would recommend replacing the springs, Morgan. Decker's anti-wrap bar is a cleaver design, and will prevent future bending of the spring packs. How long the bent ones will last, I don't know. But they will fail. If the pinion is pointing too far up with the bent springs, you might also be looking at more problems there and with the u-joint.
Old 07-11-2002, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 5286
Send a message via Yahoo to Jason M
Replace em.

Are both of them bent? Or just one?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RECENT ORDER FROM OUR SEX TOYS WEBSITE.

YOU'VE REQUESTED THE LARGE RED VIBRATOR AS FEATURED ON OUR WALL DISPLAY.

PLEASE SELECT ANOTHER ITEM.

THAT'S OUR FIRE EXTINGUISHER
Jason M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 02:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4783
Re: S-shaped rear springs

Quote:
Originally posted by morgan
I
I will look into getting some new ones from MAF and others. Any advice?

Morgan
MAF "Safari" springs are also McCoy products, so they might do the same thing.
Pin Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 6588
ok, the springs are bent cause of no wrap bar, and will definitely break, you could break another pinion tooo, you can also break driveshafts and spring packs on cue, just get the revs up, drop that clutch and give it some hammer, flat change to second and watch what comes flying out the bacl

replace your springs with junkyard items, or whatever you want AND THEN do your wrap bar on the same day.....remember your new (non-bent) springs will put the pinion on a different angle, and you'll need your wrap bar set for the new springs.......or just make it fully adjustable......either way its definitely needed

(everyone that replied before me has said the same sorta stuff) and obviously thought, i should be good to wheel without a track bar and learnt the hard way (or saw others) i learned the hard way
Old 07-11-2002, 06:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 2569
ALL IGOT TO SAY IS

FAWK MAF........

I ORDERED FRONT STOCK 40 SPRINGS AND PUT THEM ON...THEY SAT FROM THE BEGINING LIKE THAT.....AFTER A WHHELING TRIP OR TWO...BENT ONE OF THE FRONT SPRINGS.......

NOW I KNOW IT WASNT JUST MINE....

THOSE FAWKERS

NOW I HAVE STOCK SPRINGS ON THERE FROM THE LATE 1960S AND THEY WORK AWSOME.....

SWAY AWAY airs at 220 ea the rest 10% off retail
DUDENBEAR 10% off retail
RUBICON XPRESS buy 4 or more at 28$ ea
AIR MANAGMENT
ETC ETC

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Lime"][FONT="Impact"]WWW.WICKEDFABRICATION.COM[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

WickedFabrication.com[/URL] [/SIZE]

[email]SALES@WICKEDFABRICATION.com[/email]

408-898-6210
71RCKCRZR RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2002, 06:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 2029
hey morgan i replied to the "other" place on your springs as well, go get that traction bar, and your springs will probly last for quite some time to come, but i would replace them if only to "raise the titanic"
Old 07-11-2002, 07:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 5767
Send a message via Yahoo to ginericfj80
Will MAF warranty them? JT Outfitters had some 60 springs fail in a SUA application and they warrantied them for the customer. Same McCoy springs right? I know your SOA sort of is not the intended use but they might warranty them if you asked nicely. It never hurts to ask. And if it was me. I'd take them off the rig and lay them on the ground and photograph them to explain the problem to MAF.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 10429
Just a shameless plug for JT.. They are a good buncha guys, and are about as opposite of the "business man in business" as you can get.. just 2 brothers trying to help the cruiser crowd.

No, I'm not sponsored, just a happy customer!
Old 07-12-2002, 07:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
Old Rock Doc

Member # 915
Lets not heap too much praise on JT. RedDog might just wake up and tell us what HE thinks of their business practices
Old 07-12-2002, 08:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 228
Quote:
Originally posted by lcsixty
Will MAF warranty them?
I bought them from JT Outfitters as "Pinnacle Engineering" springs almost three years ago. I can't imagine getting them warrantied this far into my ownership, and I bet MAF would punt to JTO if there was any chance they were warrantee-able.

Eric, I feel guilty everytime I see your name! I will get that tlca sysadmin stuff done ASAP.

Morgan
Old 07-12-2002, 10:10 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 5767
Send a message via Yahoo to ginericfj80
Morgan,

I'd try Joe for the warranty on them. He warrantied Leo "the French Cruiser" springs on his SUA 62. They did the same thing as you are describing. 3 years isn't that long for a spring to live. How long did your stock springs live?

And I'm not going to say anything about any vendor as they are all like Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. One person gets great service and the next guy gets screwed. I've been fortunate I've gotten great service at least once from every vendor and been screwed only once by each vendor. Once I get screwed by them I don't return.

Don't panic on the TLCA stuff. We do a lot of hurrying up to wait type stuff. I'd love to have it up and running, but I also realize that you are volunteer. No need for guilty feelings. From what I've heard you have had a lot more important stuff on your plate.