pto winch w/ saginaw p/s - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2002, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
LT

Member # 11458
pto winch w/ saginaw p/s

I just bought a 76 fj40 with the factory PTO winch. I really need to fix the steering on it, cause it's about a 1/4 turn counter clockwise to even drive straight, and driving on the freeway is a different matter. I want to keep the factory PTO winch and use power steering. I know that the saginaw get in the way with the PTO setup. If can't go saginaw, i guess i could go the scout or fj60 route. Oh, and i have a 78 fj40 we are parting out.... anyone interested in the northwest area that want some parts let me know.

Travis
LT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2002, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 9154
search for scout p/s on toyota fj
v6toy4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2002, 10:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4783
The Scout box is a Saginaw too.
Pin Head is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2002, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 1849
Travis-

several questions:
Do you have smog? Will you run tires larger than 33"? What is your budget? How you done any front end maintenance?

spring bushings, center arm, tie rods, wheel balance, wheel bearings, knuckle bearings, drag link, and steering stabilizer can all contribute to poor steering. The steering wheel off is easy enough- a quick fit is mark and remove steering wheel and rotate to 'correct' position then reinstall.

You can add factory FJ40 PS for about $600+/-. You still have 2F right? Tercel pump I have been told will fit in smog pump position, Mini truck PS box can be rebuilt in a 40 PS casting, and the shorter steering column can be found at Toyota. You must have no smog requirements and run 33" tires or smaller.

Look at the list above and make sure things are tight. Drag link can be oh with "2 cent fix" and a new cotter pin. Wheel bearings should just be repacked (unless cooked). The other items if bad will require some dough, but when done it will be very close to the showroom feel and drive.

If you want larger tires and/or truck is non resto then consider scout/60 conversion to keep the PTO. traditional saginaw (ala jeep lookin') blocks the PTO.
rick d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2002, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
LT

Member # 11458
The 2f has been de smoged. It came from a 79 at 80,000 miles on it. It has a hooker header, a weber 38mm carb, and a h.e.i. distibutor on it. I plan on running 33" tires with a 4" lift with a locker in the front and rear. I've put my old 78 in 4wd with the locker in the front with 29's and it sucked. My budget isn't really all that limited, i know with the saginaw way at www.overthehill4x4.com it will cost me $850. Which is fine by me. Also to mention when i drive on the freeway i could be pulled over for a d.u.i. if a cop were to follow me. So i do want to go power steering and get it over with.

Travis
Old 09-12-2002, 09:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Old Rock Doc

Member # 915
Travis.... The Scout Saginaw box is the way to go if you want to retain the winch. I did one of these conversions for a friend a few years ago and it works very well. PM me if you want some pictures.

They actually let you use the word "green" at that school of orange and black???
Old 09-12-2002, 01:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 6650
i recently saw a 40 with a mini ps box mounted in the stock location. They fabbed a new tower/mount. It looked pretty cool. I can get some pics if needed but it looked straightforward. The other thing is mounting the pump. lots of good stuff already out there for that though

later, Scott
Past President 2010-2012
Retired Director 2004-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqme View Post
Punctuation eludes you.
cruzila is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2002, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
LT

Member # 11458
Hey both my parents are OSU grads and my dad nick named it that. Some nasty hills in Eastern Oregon that the cruiser couldn't go up, so he called it a weeny, cause it doesn't have a big block 454 v8 like his 73 monte carlo hehe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.