Pirate 4x4 banner

Linking the Rear

36K views 115 replies 38 participants last post by  rockthedog 
#1 ·
finally got started on the rear link. the plan is to link the rear and use coils springs. as you know ive been collecting parts for awhile, so it's time to get busy!! i only have two or two and half days a week to work on it , it's two hrs away in Grass Valley.....so bare with me!
i want to stretch it 7 more inches. target wheelbase is 109".
i put the rollers on the rear only to get it in the garage so when i got it in i could jackstand it atfull ride hieght with the fronts on. would give me more room to work under it......... so i'll start with a side shot for a start:D

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
i took my old faultline fab rocksliders off. they served me well and are beat to death but i had them tied into the old spring hangers and they had to come...i put fresh angle iron in the rockers to cap them and i'll build new tube ones after this is done.
firsti plated the rear half of the frame with plate that wfo concepts cut for me on their torchmate, was way easier than me making them from scratch, and very reasonably priced.

Attachments

#3 ·
next, my cross member at the rear was originally built just to handel my traction bar and attatch the rear half of the skidplate to... it needed to be beefed up to handle the lower link forward attatching point, (batwing). i built it up from 1.5" to 2". i just opened up one side of the 2" and slid it over the 1.5. i had wfo make the batwing to fit 2". so it is a perfect fit. i'm going to add a gussett at each end, other than that it ought to be strong enough.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
couple more of the cross member and the comp cut on the rear...i had to cut the rear now cuz im going to put the 42's back on the rear axel when i roll it under to measure for link material and drive line length...... tomarrow will be finish smoothing out the 14bolt so i can tack on the truss and link brackets......most of today was spent trying to clean all the old crap off the axle.....12 cutoff wheels , a stone , and a flapper and its still not done.... need a plazma cutter bad.
clint spent the whole afternoon cutting and grinding till we ran out of wheels....:shaking: get back at it tomarrow.....thought clint riding the grinder for a few hours would encourage him to go ahead and buy us a plazma cutter:D

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
put the cross member in . i had already checked it for clearance with the driveline , thats why i left it in. the holes in the frame are sleaved in the location of the oe crossmember. and the crossmemeber is locked into the back half of the skidplate as well
disclaimer: any bailing wire you might see is temporary:flipoff2:

Attachments

#8 ·
worst case if he cant make rubithon he can always ride in with me in the heep.:D

#9 ·
IMHO, tie the entire xmember into your skidplate. that bar will see a LOT of stress...

#10 · (Edited)
the skid is tied into the x-member already and i'll be locking it in even more....it should be ok.....infact i just re-read it and i mentioned in a previous post

#14 ·
FC fabacation

Looks good Glen !! nice job on the welds ,I think you could work for Don ??:homer: I"m impressed, & jealous ! Also Clint is suppose to spend his dads money not his !:laughing::laughing:

#21 ·
Looks good Glen !! nice job on the welds ,I think you could work for Don ??:homer: I"m impressed, & jealous ! Also Clint is suppose to spend his dads money not his !:laughing::laughing:
thanks mike (everyone), but work for don?:laughing: sweepin his floor

#15 ·
finally got the 14b cleaned off and painted the center that would be covered by yhe truss..... and panted under the truss........tacked the truss on and bolted on the pinion guard......and put the 42's back on

Attachments

#16 ·
went to wfo and picked up my link material...lowers are 44"total- 2"x.25 wall dom with 1.25" heims
uppers are 75% the length of the lowers at 33"total 1.75x.25 wall dom with 7/8 heims

we rolled the axel under and mounted the lower axel brackets on the burned in the upper frame mounts

Attachments

#20 · (Edited)
yah.....the truss and link brakets worked perfect and were worth EVERY penny!! not done yet though lots of work left but the base of the project is there.....oh and gonna drop off the drive line tomarrow to get retubed

#19 ·
1 more, kinda get a idea of the seperation....and nothing is finish welded yet. i' getting a new welding helmet so hopefully i'll have it for that:D

wheelbase is at 109":smokin:

next is spring captures and measure for coils

Attachments

#29 ·
yah coilovers would be good but$$$$$$

i did get a new helmet though ive been wanting one with a bigger lens and adjustable sooooo ...:smokin:

tacked on the spring captures and went down and dug through a pile of kings at the shop, i needed the spring to be at 13" at ride height so they recomended starting with 16"x 300lbs. i think they nailed it cuz they sit at 13.5" with a little rake since i carry too much crap:shaking: if the seem soft ill go with a shorter heavier set... for now these are nice.
still kickin around putting some airshocks on .....i'll be able to outboard my shock now so well see.

i might just run some good shocks and a sway bar well see

Attachments

#30 · (Edited)
i picked up some dom shock brackets too..... for the price they are gonna work great and i think i will tie them into the gage as well......
gettin there.... next weekend will be ripping it all apart so i can finish weld it all and start on shocks, brakes ,tail lights, limit strap xmembersway bar.....yada,yada......i love this stuff!:homer:

the green tape was so i didnt jack up the powder coat on the kings incase i
needed i different set

Attachments

#31 ·
Damn Glen! That's some Blingin helmet! Seems a shame to spark it all up.

Nice job on the link project! It'll be fun to test:smokin:

#32 ·
thanks bill! i was thinking the same thing about the helmet, :laughing:
i used it a little today it was sweet having an adjustment.

yah it will be a bit of a change to wheel, kinda like the first time out with the 42's.... now it should be in proportion to the 42's

#33 ·
wow Glenn! Zip zip zip- the fasted link up in history! Looks great!

That helmet is rad! You're stoked!

Welds and work look great. You guys are doing some goooood work. Fun project. Keep it up!

cheers!
Dustin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.