1964 fj40 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Land Cruiser
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 08:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 94259
1964 fj40

I've been looking around for the answers to my questions but haven't had much luck. Doesn't seem like there are too many '64 still around. At any rate, I've got a 1964 FJ TLC that is 99% completely stock. I'm only missing the right turn signal and both side mirrors. The cruiser is running and has only minor rust believe it or not. This was a plow vehicle for the last 25 years and I bought it off of any older guy that had hand painted it. Here's my questions:

1. Would restoring this FJ be more benefical then cutting it up and building it with modern technology? I feel like I've got a piece of history and I'd hate to devalue it by changing things. Some day I'd like to build a nice rig that I could do some good offroading in but I'd also be happy driving this stock rig around town.

2. Drum brakes. Parts are getting very hard to find and I can't seem to get these old drum brakes to work on a regular basis. Would swaping axels and putting Disc brakes on her take away from the value?

3. If the answer to #2 is "No" then which axels should I use? This rig will probably never see Moab or do any type of hardcore off roading if I keep her as close to stock as posible. More likely a rutted and rocky fire road at best. However, I would like to drive her on a more frequent basis so I'd like something that is low maintenance when it comes to brakes.

4. Is there an axel that I could put under her that bolts on without a lot of modifications? (I.e. I've got a 1F motor with 3 on the tree tranny). Many guys use later model axels that came with Disc brakes but does everything line up?

Thank you for your time,
Travis
baja1d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 85813
Don't listen to him. Stay here.
E WHEELER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 8432
ultimately it is your truck, do what ever you want to it.

post up a picture of it. personally, i will always prefer a truck with original paint over a repaint any day. i like the patina of old trucks. you can put the entire disk brake front axle into your rig with very little drama, but that is where at it all begins..... next you will want power steering, then bumpers, then a cage, then sliders, then lift, then 9 months after you put the lift on you will be wanting to go SOA, then you will start hacking into that pristine body and the whole thing will end up rattle can army green any way.

good luck
spalding is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 161997
i'd say you should make this one nice and then find something newer and less "historical" to beat on.

my 2 cents ayways
Old 07-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 115261
Go to this site.

You'll find answers to all your questions and more. Before you swap the axle, make sure your adjusting the brakes properly. Buy a service manual or search the Tech section on the site below. It is common for people to adjust the brakes wrong.

Personally, i'd keep the axle as is. If your not building anything hard core, the front end should have the ball-n-claw steering joint. These pre-date the birfield and i dig them. I still run them on my 1964 and 1962 FJ40's. never broke one.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/

good luck
FAO4WD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.