Pirate 4x4 banner

Real Man's Minivan

18K views 74 replies 26 participants last post by  Terrys_85_Toy 
#1 · (Edited)
It's time to post a build...

It started as a 2000 Toyota 4Runner all setup to haul the kids around for my wife, but she wanted a minivan.:shaking:

Sooooooo I took it, and.........

My main goal was to keep as low as I could on leafs and 40's.
So I decided to french the front hanger 1" into the frame.

After this I realized an error in calculations and had to move it forward 1".
But continued with the build and moved it later.

I bought the Trail Gear shackle kit and started plating the frame.

See less See more
#5 ·
Dude. Really? Incredible!

:beer:

#7 ·
My goal with most of the mods was to keep it looking as "stock" as possible.
I reused all of the factory mounting brackets for the brake lines and bent the tubing to fit.
I used some socket head allen bolts to mount the brake lines across the top plates and drilled slotted holes to mount the speed sensors as well.

#13 · (Edited)
TY.

Now I just need to throw a set of 60's under it and be done.

A K30 front with 3" trimmed off of the long side to set the WMS at 66.5" and inboard the front spring perches to match the Toyota @ 29" is appealing.
Then run a FF D60 out of a 78 Ford @ 65.75".

So if anybody wants to donate some Ton's to the cause?:flipoff2:

Ohhh and shocks. I need to take those Rancho's out for target practice.

Bilstein 5100's !!!!

Damn I need a paycheck

#14 · (Edited)
Hell no, I bought her a Mazda5 and called it good. The runner is mine now.
She can drive it from the passenger seat.
While she hands me a beer!!:flipoff2:

But I'm going to keep her anyway. I dropped cash on a 4runner for her, then kept it and dropped like another 5k into it and she still loves me.
That's reason enough to keep her. That and she's cute.

This thing has DVD, TV screens, custom JAOS interior, and a banging system.

I hooked her up with a pimp little mommy ride and she wanted her Mazda5, so I tweaked it to my taste.
The only problem is that my taste is expensive.

#29 ·
I need to build some bumpers for this thing and have been tossing around a number of ideas.

What my plan is, is to tie into the rock sliders and bumpers with some fender tubing.

I am thinking about framing the bumper with some 1/2"x 1/2" square tube and covering it with a mixture of 1/4" and 3/16" plate.

The other option is to tube the bumpers with 1.5" .120 wall DOM and welding tabs to mount the plate. This would allow the tubing to be visible.

I have also been thinking about a stinger.

My big issue is that I can't make up my mind.

Ideas, suggestions and some pictures would be great.

I already started building it with the 1/2"x 1/2" and planing on the plate, but would scrap it for a better idea.

POST UP PEOPLE. I'm brain farting over here.

#31 ·
I have busted a rear side glass out of my first gen runner and from what Ive seen on here these windows may be slightly less protected. Several threads with rear side windows repaced with plex or alum or whatever. You may condsider some tube up that way. I am building one of these now and not sure how much protection I want to scab on either. Just food for thought maybe coming off your fender well toobing somehow. I would love something suttle off an interior cage, we'll see.

#37 ·
wow, my shifter was not in the same place at all on my runner. the auto must push that ahit way back. mine was where the change holder was on my console (like near your cup holder?).

looks good.

what are you plans for music if you take the doors off? thats my biggest problem right now if i take my doors off i have no beats, so i leave them on and they get beat to shit.

#38 ·
The shifter for the reduction box sits on the front edge of the cup holder.
I built a custom shift lever to relocate it to the factory location.
I'm just glad that the twin sticks ended up leaving me a cup holder.:grinpimp:

I really haven't thought about tunes.
I will remove the doors from time to time and am going to need alternate speakers.
I have some old school Lanzar 6x9's that I could build box's for and mount somewhere in the rear.

One other perk to removing the doors is that the're heavy.

#47 ·
I have been too busy with work to really get anything done on the 4runner so off topic....
I own a company called EDH Design and we specialize in high end railings and ornamental iron. All parts are hand made via cold roll or forging.
We build most of our products onsite then remove, send out for powder coating and final install takes about one day on most jobs.

By the way. I need to find a good powder coat shop in the Richmond/Pinole area for these railings. I really don't want to haul these things up to Sacramento and back.

This job is for a private residence in Martinez CA and has been killing my time to get things done so I can get on the trail.

#59 ·

By the way. I need to find a good powder coat shop in the Richmond/Pinole area for these railings. I really don't want to haul these things up to Sacramento and back.
I've heard good things about Maas Brothers Powder Coating though they're out in Livermore. They do free pickups in some areas some days of the weeks so might be worth a call....

That's a killer looking rig too btw.

-Ferg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.