Pirate 4x4 banner

Hardcore 3rd Gen 4Runner Build

65K views 204 replies 20 participants last post by  YotaAtieToo 
#1 ·
I am turning one of my favorite vehicles into a hardcore rock-killing beast and though I would share the experience.

The base vehicle:
2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD

The first build setup is the usual starting point for these rigs, a mild lift (3") bigger tires (33"), new upper control arms, some armor, twinkly bits like go faster stickers, etc. You know what I mean. What we all do when we get a new toy, we pamper it and bestow many gifts of easy to bolt on parts.

So what am I doing with this excellent specimen of a 4Runner? Basically, I'm building a street legal-ish rock crawler (because I live in Tennessee now, and that's what we do here, play on the rocks!

The fun to come in this build thread:
  1. King-Pin High-Pinon Dana 60 Front (1978 Ford F350 Snofighter Axle)
  2. GM Corporate 14 Bolt Full Float rear Axle
  3. NP203/205 Doubler Transfer Case with triple sticks
  4. Custom built beadlocks with 40" tires
  5. Custom Built cage / tube work
  6. and probably a whole bunch more!

See less See more
#2 ·
I am turning one of my favorite vehicles into a hardcore rock-killing beast and though I would share the experience.

The base vehicle:
2002 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD

The fun to come in this build thread:
  1. King-Pin High-Pinon Dana 60 Front (1978 Ford F350 Snofighter Axle)
  2. GM Corporate 14 Bolt Full Float rear Axle
  3. NP203/205 Doubler Transfer Case with triple sticks
  4. Custom built beadlocks with 40" tires
  5. Custom Built cage / tube work
  6. and probably a whole bunch more!

Looking forward to seeing this build. Pretty Awesome parts list! :smokin:

#9 ·
Wheelbase I'm still deciding on. I'd like to keep it under 117 inches max (stock Jeep JKU wheelbase), but ideally be right at 112 to 115 inches. Yes it will be linked front and rear. Triangulated 4-link out back and 3-link up front.

As for lockers, I already welded the rear, and haven't decided for front yet.

#6 ·
Okay, let's get started.

Here she is June of 2013, the morning after a 1.5-hour flight to Pensylvania where I purchased her CHEAP (eBay), followed by an eight-hour drive to North Carolina (where I lived at that point in time).
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Toyota

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

Here is the first build - mild bolt on, paint the chrome, add some 33" tires and a 3" lift type stuff.
Off-roading Vehicle Car Off-road vehicle Mud

Now it's time to start cutting.

#7 ·
This is the GM NP203 Range Box I will mount up to my Ford NP205 transfer case. Built specifically for my rig (as a divorced unit) by the engineers at Offroad Design in Colorado. Got the triple sticks too. This rig is going to not just be a masterpiece, but also a billy goat!

Auto part Vehicle

Auto part Rotor Tool accessory Machine Machine tool

#8 ·
My wife and I went house shopping last year and the rule was it had to have a killer basement with room for all my equipment, tools, and a LIFT. Well, we found it! Here's the 4Runner on the lift just before tear down.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Automobile repair shop Car Service

My only regret, not power washing the hell out of this thing before starting to tear into it. I was just excited to get started I guess. :shaking: Look at all that dried mud!
Automotive tire Tire Automotive wheel system Auto part Wheel

#13 ·
Scalpel... Doctor, we are fresh out of scalpels. Well then nurse, hand me that badass Sawzall over there. Let's begin the first incision at the posterior "C" pillar. The second incision at the anterior "D" pillar. Careful not to scratch the paint!

That's right folks; the decision was a coin toss. Heads and I chop off the rear roof and make a bed for the spare, fuel cell, etc. Tails we keep the extra weight and leave it stock. Heads it is then.

Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Bumper Auto part

Vehicle Car Subcompact car City car

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Bumper

#16 ·
I'd rather not have the 203 divorced but I have no choice. Keeping the stock 5VZ-FE engine and A340F transmission. There is no adapter that I can find to mate the 203 to the A340F (which has a 23 spline output. I checked with Advanced adapters, who said the Tacoma kit they have for the Atlas case won't work with the 203/205. So, I can either have an adapter created (by whom I have no idea), or I can run it divorced. My plan is to yank the 23 spline female input from the stock transfer case and fab something to work.

Got any better ideas?

#18 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's what I thought too.
Advanced Adapters makes an adapter plate and 23 spline spud shaft for the Atlas 2/4 speed transfer case to mount to the A340F 50-5710 : Toyota Tacoma Tranmission to Atlas transfer case Adapter Kit (23 spline) | Advance Adapters (for a Tacoma), but I called and asked the pros at Advanced Adapters who said it would not mount to the 203 (I think because mine is the GM 203 with the race track bolt pattern). I also called Offroad Design to discuss my options, but unfortunately, they pointed me to Advanced Adapters or said I would have to custom fab something, which I'm cool with.

#21 · (Edited)
No, the eco box is $729 and the Advanced Adapters kit is $390. I'd still need to source the planetary gear set in a 241 too, which I don't have.
I'm using the 203/205 because it's what I have already the 205 cost me $40 and it's bullet proof, plus I've invested in other parts for the 203/205 setup already. My budget for this build is nearing the end and a blackbox will come close to wiping out the remaining budget entirely. I have considered it though.

I am liking where RANGERROD is going with getting the Tacoma Adapter from Advanced Adapters and using a 23 spline Dodge input shaft on the 203 and drill it myself to work.

#26 ·
I looked into the AA 5710 adapter to run a single case d300 behind the a340f. They said it wouldn't work. I think it would but I don't want to shell out the cash on a hunch. I think they need to do some more research. I could swap the tail shaft and housing from the aw4. But I like the idea of the adapter.

#28 ·
Yeah, I bet that it would work for that application. You may have to drill it, but it looks like it would fit. I'll let you know how it goes with mine and then post some detailed pics when I get it.

#42 ·
I mentioned that I had beer in the shop and two of my buddies showed up. I put them to work of course. :grinpimp:

Motor vehicle Machine Engine Technology Auto part

Got the cage designed and the main hoop bent up too. This is just the roll cage. Designed for safety and strength not looks. The cosmetic tube comes later.

Text Electronics Technology Design Multimedia

Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

#44 ·
Custom radiator mounts fabbed up and installed.
Machine Machine tool Automotive exterior Toolroom Bumper

The radiator is a dual core universal aluminum radiator from Summit (Part number SUM-380425) complete with an aluminum shroud and new 16" electric fan to help keep things cool at idle and low speeds on the trail. The stock engine-driven fan just didn't have enough oomph to draw air through the radiator, condenser, and trans cooler.

The tube mount behind the radiator has tube couplers at the base to allow the radiator to be removed. You know, for that eventual LS swap. :flipoff2:

Metalworking hand tool Vise Clamp Machine tool Tool accessory

Radiator Engine Vehicle Car Auto part

Treadmill Automotive exterior Bumper Room Vehicle

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Gas Metal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.