Drivetrain help needed - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 30087
Send a message via MSN to Izeloz
Drivetrain help needed

Okay, I just bought a '97 Tacoma that is missing the body. I bought it mostly for the engine (3rz) but it came with from (IFS) axles and rear axle. I am trying to decide it I should keep the tranny and tcase from the taco and use the taco box from Marlin for duals or rebuild my W56 and dump dual gear-drive cases in it. I want the most tried, true, amd effective option. Also, what's going to be the best conversion? I want a solid axle, so if I went with the taco I'd have to do a solid axle swap. Which frame is going to be the best and easiest to work on between an '85 toy or the '97 taco? Thanks for any help.
Izeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 03:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 16719
the old standby used to be the waggy d44 driver drop at about 61", but now diamond driver drop with all longs stuff, 6 stud, etc. you can argue about which can be built stronger/cheaper, but i'm liking the diamond setup. sas is about the same for taco as hilux, or you could link it with allpoop or similar. if you have a hilux body, you could put it on the taco frame, or hunt for salvage taco cab. it's some work either way, but not hard. I have the parts on hand to do something similar, but i'm fence sitting right now-haven't made up my mind on which way to go.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 36822
I'm gonna SAS my '97, too. I've already got an FJ80 front, R-151F and two 4 cyl. t-cases. My Taco has the 3.4L though. Still need to get a 3.0L bell housing and oil pan/pick-up. Just gotta wait until it's warm out.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 25660
If you want 'tried and true' then I suspect the traditional w56 is the way to go. Those taco box adapters aren't free, and with the rebuilt w56 you won't need to change the crossmember, driveshafts etc.

Assuming you've already got a trail rig this 3rz is destined for.
bkubisht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 30087
Send a message via MSN to Izeloz
Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll go with my W56. I have all the parts...just trying to figure out what combo would be best. Also, I have a couple frames to choose from. I have two solid axle shortbed frames or the '97 taco frame. Any opinions on what would be best to use?
Izeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 16719
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick View Post
Early frames would be better IMO.

The taco frame I believe has a smaller cross-section and I think slightly thiner material.....
taco has slightly larger cross-section, but am not sure how the material compares. the taco frame has a more substantial appearance and is boxed to the first cross member past the bed mount. either generation of frame will work so go with what's best for you.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote