Taco vs. V6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 30087
Send a message via MSN to Izeloz
Taco vs. V6

I just picked up most of a '97 Tacoma 4WD with a 3RZ. Figured while I swapping the engine into my '85 I might as well swap the rear axle in, too. Just out of curiosity, is the taco 3rd stronger than the '89-'95 V6 3rds? I know the axle housing itself is a little weaker, but I was under the impression that the 3rd is stronger. Can anyone verify this?
Izeloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 36822
If it's an 8.4" (should be if it's not a TRD e-locker) then the third is stronger in the respect that carrier bearing caps are "girdled" together. The R&P are the same as a V6, so no difference there. I, personally, would stay with a "non-girdled" third simply because they have threaded adjusters and DON'T use washers/shims to adjust backlash like the "girdled" 8.4's do (a lot easier for me to set-up). The 8.4 thirds will NOT fit in an '79-'95 housing.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Suzuki/Toyota Parts

Member # 80948
Taco Axle

Definitely you would benefit in width, but the availability and swapability of the 8" Third Member from your '85 is going to be much better than the non-e-locked 8.4 diff you have. It is all up to you though, most people prefer either the e-locked 8" axle from the Taco, or swapping a e-locked third into a IFS Rear axle due to the extra width. There is just a lot of options for you, but generally the 8" differential has the most options. There is a strength advantage on the 8.4" diff over what is in your '85, a place you can look at pics is http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

Hope this helps.

YOUR Suzuki and Toyota Parts SUPERSTORE. Over 5300 Products and Counting.[/SIZE]

We ship WORLDWIDE.
Low Range is offline   Reply With Quote