MC09 Crawler shifter setup - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34250
Send a message via AIM to jtaco1
MC09 Crawler shifter setup

Getting geared up to put together a MC09 crawler setup in my Tacoma. What modifications are being done to the shifters. From the pictures I am seeing, it looks like people are going with a short throw shifter and some other modifications. Is this all necessary. I have a body lift on my truck and bench seat with no center consule to get in the way.

So what I guess I am asking is can I just assemble the crawler setup, bolt it up and run the stock crawl box and Tacoma t-case shifters, bent if need be, or cut a larger hole??
Old 08-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 72658
This may or may not help you...

/forum/toyota-tacoma/560093-crawler-install-write-up-tacoma.html

How much body lift do you have? How much rotation of the TC are you planning?

If you dont have a center console with a specific hole location your trying to fit the shifter in then there is no reason that you should need a short throw kit on the shifters, unless you have a 3" body lift. By using a big body lift your pivot point of the shift lever is so far from the floor of the truck you will have alot of throw which could cause problems, so in this case I would say yes the short shift kit would help you alot. I have a 1" BL and use short shifters on both cases and I like it. Was it absolutely necessary? No, not really but every truck is different.

The best advice I can give you is get the parts in mocked up with no silicon or gear oil or anything and see what is going to work and what is not. Get some 1/2" cold rolled round stock and start "doglegging" the rear shifter to go where you want it, but just tack it until your ready for final install. The front shifter should work fine out of the box. I used a 4" hole saw for the floor but your application will vary. Everyone I know that has done a crawler has had to mock it up several times before it was ready for final install.

Good luck!
highplainsdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34250
Thanks for the link, read that the other day, which is what got me thinking. Yes, unfortunately I do have a 3" body lift and everything is built around it, so it won't be coming off anytime soon. As for rotating the cases, I am getting the MC09 from a buddy and should see it friday, but I don't know if or how much it rotates, if any. I haven't purchased the front adapter yet, but I guess that rotates it 10 degrees.

Maybe just wait and see what I end up with and go from there. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 14006
If you have a body lift I'd say short throw shifters is a really good idea. It will make the size of the hole you have to cut in your floor smaller due to the shorter throw, lessen the change of problems with shifters hitting the floor and popping out of gear less likely while reducing the throw of the longer shifters necessatated by the BL substantially. Just generally make life easier all the way around.
Dickfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34250
How much does a short throw setup usually run for our trucks?
Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 14006
I don't know, I made my own short throw when I made my twin stick setup. I do know that Marlin and others sell them though.
If you decide to do your own, it's not hard to fab up. All you need is a spacer of X thickness for the shifter base and longer shift fingers to match.

A 2" thick spacer seems to be the general rule as a good trade off between distance of shifter throw against shifting force required without needing to mess with the detent springs.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 73099
the adapter i sent you is rotated 10deg and if you get the 10 deg out of the other adapter you will be at the same hight as mine was this past weekend. however with the body lift you could do a small drivetrain lift to get it up a little higher. its nice you dont have to beat the shit out of the bottom of the cab like i had to.

with a 3 inch bl can he still use the short throw setup or will the shifter be real low to the floor?

reguarding the bending of the levers, i did have to do this due to the clocking but its not bad at all, it still fits in the same spot as the oem box did on mine
Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Member # 5579
Here is one of the very first MC09 installs we did. This was taken back in 2003 into a 3RZ 4Runner.

We built the TacoSupreme with a Short Throw Shifting Kit:

The Beauty of the Marlin Crawler is that it can be assembled as a Complete Unit that then simply bolts into place just like a t/case. No time-consuming internal assembly/dissembly. The Marlin Crawler is the only 1995-2007+ Tacoma/4Runner/Tundra/FJ Cruiser dual case adapter that I know of that can do this, and we are certainly proud of it.
Pictured here with a Total-Spline input gear:

Here is how the shifter was positioned inside this 4Runner.

The end result was very clean indeed and definately looked factory!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaco1 View Post
How much does a short throw setup usually run for our trucks?
Dick has good advice on a DIY kit, but if you don't have time or the parts for it, we offer a short throw kit for $150. The offset on the shifter is optional, but if so desired, we usually make them anywhere up to a 3" offset:

(please ignore the incorrect oil slinger shown in this picture thanks to our former photographer)
Please see this link: Transfer Case Parts & Accessories

Regards,
BigMike

(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295
My 511:1 Triple Cased and World's first 3RZ-powered 1st gen Hilux
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34250
Thanks Scott, I think I jsut need to see all the parts in front of me and go from there Hopefully you can shoot me some pictures of your setup to go off of.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34250
Thanks BigMike, I have been studying that build up for a few days now trying to figure out what I am going to do. I will be in touch within the next few days about some crawler parts orders.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:16 AM   #11 (permalink)
Marlin Crawler, Inc.

Member # 5579
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott6261 View Post
with a 3 inch bl can he still use the short throw setup or will the shifter be real low to the floor?
We recommend short throw kits to any thing over a 2" body lift, so in this case, it would most definitely help out a lot with clearance issues.

Quote:
reguarding the bending of the levers, i did have to do this due to the clocking but its not bad at all, it still fits in the same spot as the oem box did on mine
Just a note, if anyone is planning on bending a factory Toyota lever, then take note that their is rubber inside the shift handle that is easily damaged by heat (torch) and the end of the shifter that inserts into the transfer case can be broken off in a vice. Two things to remember.

BigMike

(888) 94-CRAWL / 888-942-7295
My 511:1 Triple Cased and World's first 3RZ-powered 1st gen Hilux
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 73099
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post

Just a note, if anyone is planning on bending a factory Toyota lever, then take note that their is rubber inside the shift handle that is easily damaged by heat (torch) and the end of the shifter that inserts into the transfer case can be broken off in a vice. Two things to remember.

BigMike

right, i forgot to mention that, thank you. when i bent mine the first time it wasn't enough so i had to reheat it, when doing so the lower and upper section seperated so i ended up epoxying them back together and it has been fine.

jt, feel free to call me any time about this and i will help you as best i can
Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 34250
Thanks Scott, will most likely be giving you a call once I get all the other parts pulled together.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 14006
Shoulda put a short throw on the TCase too. I left my tranny shifter alone but opted for short shifting the crawl box and T case. But then I don't have a body lift either.

It's also a great time to do a twin stick on the T case since it's already out on the floor. Cracking the case and doing the mods isn't hard at all. I did a writeup mit pics for it that's over on the TTORA board Wiki.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 24948
I have an MC09 R10 in a 2000 4Runner. I built a 1" Short throw and used basically the same design to put my shifter up through the cup holder. The only additional challenge was the 10 degree clock. If the shifter came straight up it would be into the pass seat. It just took a little extra trial and error to get the shifter right.
F-Toy #81, Crawler, Locked, 37" Reds
Albuquerque Jim is offline   Reply With Quote