Add more leafs to rear springs. Should I try it? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 78648
Add more leafs to rear springs. Should I try it?

I'm considering adding 1 or 2 extra leafs to the rear of my 2000 tacoma. It has the 3 factory leafs, and the overload leaf at the bottom. I installed an add-a-leaf as part of my 3" lift. This helpes alot, but the rear still sags just a little. I'm not concerned about the ride, but I'd like to be able to haul a heavy load without worrying.
I can't afford new springs. I just would like to improve what I've got. I have a set of matching tacoma springs to use. I'm thinking about cutting the ends off the main leaf and inserting it between my main and 2nd leaf. Maybe add another shorter one toward the bottom.
Is this ok to do as long as I keep the staggered pattern of long to short? Will it add some arc to these flat springs, or are they hopeless!? Any other ideas?
Thanks.
WVHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 41156
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVHillbilly View Post
I'm considering adding 1 or 2 extra leafs to the rear of my 2000 tacoma. It has the 3 factory leafs, and the overload leaf at the bottom. I installed an add-a-leaf as part of my 3" lift. This helpes alot, but the rear still sags just a little. I'm not concerned about the ride, but I'd like to be able to haul a heavy load without worrying.
I can't afford new springs. I just would like to improve what I've got. I have a set of matching tacoma springs to use. I'm thinking about cutting the ends off the main leaf and inserting it between my main and 2nd leaf. Maybe add another shorter one toward the bottom.
Is this ok to do as long as I keep the staggered pattern of long to short? Will it add some arc to these flat springs, or are they hopeless!? Any other ideas?
Thanks.
been done, works fine. Atwinda (ttora) has a full writeup on his site

http://www.mor4wd.com/mods.asp?ID=12
Old 08-18-2007, 10:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 78648
Excelent link! Thankyou. My next project is in the works.
WVHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote