Pirate 4x4 banner

My new trail/street rig build- '97 4runner

474K views 916 replies 141 participants last post by  Evilwhitey 
#1 · (Edited)
[edit]
Also see the build web page to see a consolidated and more final version of this build w/o sorting through this whole thread!]
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/97runner/
[/edit]

I've been wanting to build a 3rd gen Runner for years. Now I finally get to do it. :D

I picked up a fairly pristine high mileage (224k) commuter 3rd gen for only $6k a few months ago. Seems to be in perfect running condition. :cool2: My '86 runner is getting retired and all of its goodies are going on the '97.

Specs/plans:

- 3.4L V6, 5-speed (stock)
- ScanGuage2 for digital guages/engine monitoring
- 140A alternator, probably just like OOP's 3.0L setup, assuming it fits the same. I'll try to use the one from my old rig first.
- York OBA, which will require moving the battery and fuse box slightly. Bud @ Budbuilt is supposed to be building York bracket kits based on my setup...

- Fully built/clocked passenger drop dual-ultimate t-cases from the '86
- Clocked FROR crossmember
- Clockable Inchworm V6 adapter (can clock up to 20* using both Marlin clocked dual case adapter and Inchworm V6 adapter).
- Marlin 23 spline input
- Marlin VSS

- 63.5" D44/Lock-Right/AlloyUSA/Longfield front (link)
- 3-link/panhard front suspension, possibly with coilovers and air bumps
- 2wd T100 oil pan kit (Sky)
- Steering box? Undecided, might go with a forward-swing box... (FJ60 or ScoutII). Ordered a Scout II box from a PBB member.
- ******* ram hydro assist
- PSC power steering pump kit (PORC)

- 63.5" Trussed/shaved Tacoma/ARB/PolyPerformance rear axle w/ 1.5" spacers (link)
- 4-link rear suspension, probably coils/shocks
- Ford gas tank for better ground clearance and space for the 4-link
- Aux air bags (center mount?) for heavy loads and lifting the rear up during high centers...?

Links will have Johnny Joints at one end, bushings at the other.
Lowers will be non-adjustable, 2x2x3/16" square tube.
Uppers/panhard will be adjustable using Ballistic Fab tube adapters and bushing sleeves with threaded studs, and Johnny Joints with studs. 1.5"X.120" round tube.

- Brakes: T100 booster, GM master, Sky rear disk kit and Allpro t-case e-brake. I may have to see if I can swap to a dash mounted e-brake handle vs. the stock 4runner center console one???
- ABS will be removed

- 37" MTR's
- May switch from 8" to 10" rims
- Staun beadlocks?

Here are some comparisons between the old and new rigs as they currently sit:
Measurement ____'86 _____'97 __ difference
tire size ______ 37 _____ 31 ___ +6"
frame height ___ 26 _____ 16 ___ +10"
belly height ___ 23? ____
roof height ____ 78? ____ 70? __ +8"
Wheel base _____ 107 ____ 105 __ -2"
outside width __ 78? ____ 68? __ +10"
(The '86 has a 1" bodylift, the '97 will not.)

I'll be shooting for about 4" lift, no body lift, 23" frame height, front axle moved 2" forward, rear axle moved ~4" back, ~113" wheelbase. The goal is for it to be similar to my '86, but a couple inches lower and longer and with a slightly better rear departure angle.

This will be a fairly slow build, so don't go cluttering up this thread asking for updates every couple of weeks. :flipoff2:

My plan is to keep the '86 wheelable as long as possible while I do bumpers/sliders/fuel tank/OBA/alternator and anything else I can on the '97, and then start cutting it up and getting the axles and t-case under it and have it done late winter/early spring, in time for the Hammers. :mr-t:
[edit]Scratch that- both rigs are now both all torn apart!

Also, here is a link to some stuff Sean and I were discussing about our future 3rd gen builds:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587375

See less See more
#5 ·
Wow very sweet looking build! Your 86 has been a huge insperation for me, Ive Built alot of my rig from watching and reading about yours. Good luck with the new toy and build.:beer:
My rig

#11 ·
Don't think it would be worth it... I'd be modifying the hell out of it to get it to fit my app, and I want to do it my own way anyway.

Looks good Beebs. Hope I am on the trail with you when you put the first dent in it!!!!!!!:grinpimp:
Chances are good for that! We seem to get ourselves into some predicaments together... :flipoff2: :laughing:

Do you plan on running it on the street?
Definitely. My rig has never seen a trailer, except for the one that gets pulled behind it. :D Any input/experience you can add would be appreciated. Got more pics of the front suspension, panhard, etc.?

#10 · (Edited)
Do you plan on running it on the street? if yes there is a couple things to be aware of, i only say this cause i just finished a build on a 97 4 runner and ran into some major issues that if i didnt have a work around for the problem it wouldnt be on the street, possibly would have gone a different route if i knew then what i know now.

here is a couple pics

Attachments

#12 ·
Cool, I'm sitting with a 1996 DD 4runner I'm going to build up, not too much info out there though...

Currently it's got the 2.7 with the w59

I'm going to be swapping my duals out of my 83 and I have a r150 with the 4 cyl adapter, just need the marlin 2.7 to r 150 bellhousing...

Not sure what I want to do with the suspension (budget wise was thinking of the marlin sfa kit...looking forward to updates on the build

#17 ·
Dang Erik - you pack your 4Runner like me.. to the roof! Looks like it's a good thing your new rig has some cargo space.
Yeah, having that 37" spare takes up a lot of real estate inside. I'd like to build a tire carrier for the new one, but will probably only use it for the bigger trips when I need the extra space.

did it come with the 5-speed?
Yep. I had to look around for a while to find the 5-speed/V6 combo, and in the price range I was looking at.

-> I updated and cleaned up the original post a bit. :)

#14 ·
nice this will be a good build to see. I parted out my 86 in november to build my 96 tacoma that I now drive around a hundred miles a day. You'll love the power and comfort of the newer rig

#15 ·
did it come with the 5-speed? or is that something you are going to be swappin in? i've been getting ready to build one aswell once i can find a good canidate, so im looking forward to seeing this

#16 ·
Subscribed.

I've got similar plans for my '97 3.4L 5-speed whenever my rig gets too beat up to drive on the street anymore; but I'm still a few years away. :D

I'm interested in seeing how yours turns out though.

Here's mine.

Attachments

#21 · (Edited)
Dunno. I'm curious about that myself. I should weigh the '86 before I tear it apart, and the '97 before and after I build it for some comparisons. :idea:

here's to hoping your build goes much faster than mine :beer:
:eek: Me too! :D
Unlike you I'm only a part-time family guy, so I *should* have plenty of time to get things done...

Are you running cromo's in your taco rear?
Yep, Poly Performance shafts. Never had a problem w/ the stockers, but was worried about not having any spares. Now I've got chromos AND spares, so I should be more than set.

Oh yeah, I'm also going to pick up a ScanGuage2 for its digital guage/engine monitoring/scan tool features. :)
http://www.scangauge.com/

#24 ·
subscribed. if you build yours slow enough i can be the guinea pig for the link setups(my 2nd generation is under the knife as of next weekend). im keeping the gas tank in the stock location and running a copy of trail gears rear link setup and the same up front. build it yourself, you dont need a kit, we all know your a fart smeller, i mean smart feller...

what do you think about using a body lift to provide space for that rock anchor gas tank hanging way below the frame rail?

#28 ·
what do you think about using a body lift to provide space for that rock anchor gas tank hanging way below the frame rail?
I don't think a BL is a good idea if you're trying to keep it low. I want (and I think you do too) a relatively low lift, so that means there isn't much room between the axles and frame for steering and links and panhards and crap. If you do a body lift, then the frame is essentially lower if the rig is the same overall height, which means even less room.

And while I while want my rig lower than the last one, I also want to have more compression travel, so that means I need/want all the frame clearance I can get.

That's also why I'm going to use the Ford tank again. Its bigger and tucks up a lot higher even w/o a BL. The stock tank (and factory rear link mounts) on my 3rd gen hang down over 4" below the frame rails! :eek: That would take a lot of body lift to get up even w/ the frame rail. And it would still be under the middle of the rig where its more susceptible to damage. I don't have a skid plate on my Ford tank and I've never even hit it yet since its up high and in the rear. It may not be as good an option for you though since your rigs are usually bobbed...

I will be watching your build(s) though, as always. :D

What? Did you say you were going to drive up with your plasma and help me cut off all this crap when I'm ready? :evil::D:grinpimp:
Thanks, that's awesome of you! :flipoff2:

#33 · (Edited)
Its cool to see you are started on the new ride! Let me know if you want help. My buggy is going through some major changes as of the morning
What are you doing to the buggy, Andy? I may be asking you and/or Ben for some help with tube work. :D

And speaking of tube... I've been looking at some bumper designs and here are some front ends I'm liking:
(Nick- I've looked at your Shrockworks bumpers and they are very nice too! But not quite what I'm looking for.)

Mossyrocks:

Buddha:

Brianc33:

Godyilla:

Captkirkyota:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382512

Ben Calhoun's 4runner

I'm kind of moving away from the slow approach. I think I'm going to put it up on jackstands next week, hack everything off underneath :evil: get the axles under there and just start building.

I ordered a plasma cutter from Parker Metal Working
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539511
Which I figure should really help out with OEM bracket removal and cutting new tabs and brackets. $399+shipping for PBB members. :smokin:

Attachments

#31 ·
Sounds like a cool project, Erik,

I sold the 3.4 to a friend, and he is installing it in an 85 4Runner (Jeffco's old Runner), auto tranny and all,!!

I'm not sure what my plans are for my Runner,,,,:shaking:
glad I was able to inspire you,,!!:smokin::D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.