Anyone here SAS a 05-07 Tacoma yet?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 13347
Anyone here SAS a 05-07 Tacoma yet??

Looking for tips and pointers
I am going to use a radius arm and panhard system with early bronco coils.
narrowed cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 463
check out Demello. They've done it.

Nick

Torchmate Racing
www.torchmateracing.com
ToyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 84124
www.Demello-Offroad.com or send a PM to Wyatt (AWSUMDC) as it's his 05 Double Cab truck that was sased. You can also find more information on his truck here and here.
sbechtold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 13347
I have seen that one it is crazy!
I am looking for ones that were done in someones garage
Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 84124
PM sillyneck he just did an FJ Cruiser and might be able to help you. He's in SAC as well.
sbechtold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 08:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 47477
Like Sol said, check out sillyneck. They did a good job on an FJ Cruiser with coils and shocks. There was a rumor some time ago about one in Vegas but no one has ever seen it. Don't know of any others out there. We have done an FJ also but used a coilover system just like the one on my '05.

You should also talk to Dick Foster because he has a set up similar to what you are looking for.

Last edited by awsumdc; 09-12-2007 at 08:09 AM.
awsumdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 13347
Yah I am allready working with sillyneck I went to his shop the other day to check out the fj and it looked pretty good.
I am going to have sillyneck do the work for me I was just wanting to see more pics of other projects.
I am still trying to convince myself to cut up this new truck!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 14006
Why in hell would you use bronco coils. Just get yourself some nice coilovers and be done with it. I haven't seen any radius arm setups but there have been some 3 links done. Try Jason DeMello or rather Wyatt (it's his truck) at DeMello Offroad.
Dickfoster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 14006
Since you're in Sac, try AJ at Bent Up, Bentup.com. He's right there in your neck of the woods.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 72297
I still have yet to see a garage done project.

I'm starting in February/March, with a 3-link / panhard / 16" coilovers. I'm still in the parts gathering stage, but I've already got the axles and histeer stuff together.

Document the build, I'd like to see some pics as you go.
Sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 13347
I had a ranger with the bronco coil setup and it was nice
Also the pics from this build helped push me to SAS rather than a crappy ifs lift. The bronco coils work- work good and are much cheaper than coilovers I hapen to think it looks cooler than coilovers to

CHECK OUT THESE PICS
/forum/toyota-fj-cruiser/607390-old-blue-went-urban-wheelin.html
Old 09-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pissing Excellence

Member # 517
Send a message via ICQ to Sillyneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickfoster View Post
Why in hell would you use bronco coils. Just get yourself some nice coilovers and be done with it. I haven't seen any radius arm setups but there have been some 3 links done. Try Jason DeMello or rather Wyatt (it's his truck) at DeMello Offroad.
cheap, progressive rate, cheap, nice fit, no need to cut into the engine compartment, cheap, no need for an engine cage, cheap, no need for a sway bar as there's no charge trying to push it over all the time, balanced travel w/ the rear leafs as opposed to the front doing all the work and trying to cheat it w/ a sway bar etc. oh and cheap!
Poly Performance
Off Road Warehouse
MJ Motorsports
Ruffstuff
Driveline Service Sacramento
Wrap Concept
Barnes Welding Supply Sacramento
RADFLO
Sillyneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 94468
Smile

hey i have a 98 that i did a missing link design and used rubicon express coils it came out awsome and it flexes like crazy!!!! oh ya and i did it in my friends drive way
Old 09-14-2007, 09:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 363
coils may be cheap, but if your hackin a brand new $35,000 truck, there must be money bleeding out of one orifice, maybe two.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 14006
Cheap and not a clue as to what kind of wheel rate you'll get or what you'll wind up as far as how it works. Ask yourself how much is it gonna cost you to redo the thing when you find those Bronco coils don't work fer shit under that Tacoma.

With coilovers you can dial it in exactly right. If you're gonna do it, do it right don't try doing a link and coil half assed or you will just wind up with a half assed truck. Doing a link and coil suspension has nothing to do with saving money in the first place. Once you get under there and start looking for space to put everything the coil overs will start to make a lot more sense.

Even if you intend to fuck it up, you can a better job of that for a lot less money. Just get some junk yard leaves and slap them on.

And oh BTW I have a radius arm setup with 12" Sway-Aways under a 95 Taco. It's all of 6" over stock with 35's.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 14006
You guys aren't making much sense. Bronco coils come in how many spring rates and how many heights? Let me guess, one and one.
Tell me how you are going to make them work well with any truck, with any weight, any bumper, winch or no, with how many variables in how many suspension builds and how many targeted tire sizes with how many different axles?

Oh I know, you start with the spring and build the whole truck around it. Yep that must be what the Ford engineers did when they built the Bronco. They started with the sping and dialed the truck in around it.

Proper suspension design and fab doesn't have a fuckin thing to do with looks either. It's all about fit and function and only about fit and function. If you built for looks I can just imagine how your shit works on the street or out on the trail. About as well as those mall runners with nose bleed lifts that flop over on anything larger than a curb stone I imagine.

Pics made you do an SAS? Really? What does that say?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Sometimes I drink

Member # 39343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyneck View Post
no need for a sway bar as there's no charge trying to push it over all the time, balanced travel w/ the rear leafs as opposed to the front doing all the work and trying to cheat it w/ a sway bar etc.
From the FJ build:
Quote:
just got this thing about done. waiting for the rear anti rock sway bar...

3 link w/ panhard front
same in the rear just executed different.
So does it need a sway bar or not?

Last edited by SinisterTaco; 09-14-2007 at 05:03 PM.
SinisterTaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 13347
The sway bar was used for the rear I am not shure why he did but if I recall right he ended up removing it.

I am shure he will chime in .
Old 09-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 94468
if you are going to link it do it right and dont use radius arms use actual links. my 7.5 rubicon coils are perfect under my tacoma.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:32 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 87936
Send a message via AIM to xjmania030
There is a guy down here in tucson that droped 20 grand to swap his 04 with coil overs on all four coners. IDK were all the money went. Ill try and get pictures up soon.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 AM   #21 (permalink)
Pissing Excellence

Member # 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickfoster View Post
Cheap and not a clue as to what kind of wheel rate you'll get or what you'll wind up as far as how it works. Ask yourself how much is it gonna cost you to redo the thing when you find those Bronco coils don't work fer shit under that Tacoma.

With coilovers you can dial it in exactly right. If you're gonna do it, do it right don't try doing a link and coil half assed or you will just wind up with a half assed truck. Doing a link and coil suspension has nothing to do with saving money in the first place. Once you get under there and start looking for space to put everything the coil overs will start to make a lot more sense.

Even if you intend to fuck it up, you can a better job of that for a lot less money. Just get some junk yard leaves and slap them on.

And oh BTW I have a radius arm setup with 12" Sway-Aways under a 95 Taco. It's all of 6" over stock with 35's.

Well...so I guess dick isn't short for richard.

I mean wtf do you actually know about building a rig... honestly... what are your credentials? I'm not saying you don't have any... I'd just love to know. Just cause it's a tacoma and you built 1 tacoma doesn't mean you know at all better than me how to do things and keep it in a certain $$$ range. I seem to get this a lot from web wheelers and people that read something and decide they're seasoned vets. Like f-cking 00operataco... that guy got me really reved up like this... just bow down to your superior bud!
Wild horses has 5 different height coils and each taller coil is stiffer than the previous one. The rates come in rock crawler and pre runner. The 3.5 rock crawlers are the best coil I've ever experienced. You're sitting here talking shit and telling the guy to spend over $700 (+ extra sets of springs... the cost of me to install them and trouble shoot....) when $140 will do fine.

I could spend hours trying to explain something to you, that you've already made your mind up on... so I'll just address others.

The Fj cruiser got the 3.5 w/h's all the way around. it rides mint, flexes mint, runs down the road like a hot rod w/ no sway bar.

Why did't it get coil overs? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and if the money was going to get wasted on that then maybe we should have taken the (and this is for dickf-cker) $40k truck and cut through the back to make room for the c/o's and cut into the engine compartment, move the gas tank and make the rear a 4 link instead of a long radius arm set up..... maybe we should have put 2.5 tons under it w/ full hydro and an exo-cage and make it so it can't be driven on the road.

It was done the way it was done because that's how I did it and it works great... if that won't work for you as an answer how about. I asked your mom and she said to do it like that!

It's just hard for me to understand why you think you know better. I've done front and rear link systems on over 30 vehicles that I can think of. Hell I've done 8 this year alone. That doesn't count the rigs that get one end or the other done.
Attached Images

Poly Performance
Off Road Warehouse
MJ Motorsports
Ruffstuff
Wrap Concept
RADFLO
Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 AM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 27179
Send a message via AIM to reklund5
You can't argue with EB springs when they work so well. Sure, coilovers work well and look cool, but what really matters? Maybe in this instance, the customer would rather spend less on EB springs and have the truck done and have money leftover to go out and wheel, than spend all his coin on blingy coilovers, have the truck in the shop longer, and not have money left for gas to go wheeling with.

Like I can talk...My truck hasn't seen dirt since February- and it's not even taken apart or anything.

Ryan
reklund5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2007, 10:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pissing Excellence

Member # 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by reklund5 View Post
You can't argue with EB springs when they work so well. Sure, coilovers work well and look cool, but what really matters? Maybe in this instance, the customer would rather spend less on EB springs and have the truck done and have money leftover to go out and wheel, than spend all his coin on blingy coilovers, have the truck in the shop longer, and not have money left for gas to go wheeling with.

Like I can talk...My truck hasn't seen dirt since February- and it's not even taken apart or anything.

Ryan
you are a true genious. bring common sense to the table... many will starve... but those who matter will feast If I felt less of a personal attack I would have loved to say it just like that
Poly Performance
Off Road Warehouse
MJ Motorsports
Ruffstuff
Wrap Concept
RADFLO
Old 09-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 47477
We've done coilover and leaf spring swaps but never coil with an out board shock and as far as time spent on doing the two different swaps it would be the same. (And don't try to compare Sol's truck to Missfjs truck. That would be unfare to either one of them.) You still have a coil that is supporting the truck and a shock that is damping the spring. You still have some kind of link system whether it's a radius arm or a true link. It's not true that you have to have an engine cage for a coilover set up. There are some who have done them with out a cage and they work very well.

I saw the Fj cruiser this week end with the coils and shocks and it seems to do very well. I haven't driven it but have talked to some that have and they say it drives great.

I personally think it's all up to the person who is getting the job done. I could afford my setup and just felt that it was the only way to go. Missfj went with the coils and it works just fine for her. Better in her words than she expected and I think thats what counts.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 72297
Quote:
It was done the way it was done because that's how I did it and it works great... if that won't work for you as an answer how about. I asked your mom and she said to do it like that!
LOL...

You do realize that Dick is literally 65 years old. I'd hate to think what his mom looks like now days.

Damn necrophiliacs
Sisyphus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.