Straight Front Axle Conversion - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 88972
Straight Front Axle Conversion

I am looking for a used mid to late 90s Toyota to convert to a straight front axle.

Does anyone know a transfer case would "bolt up" to a 2wd "pre-runner" with the factory lift. If not, how much fabrication would be involved?

Or, would I just be better off (meaning cheaper in the long run) to start with a 4x4?

thanks,
James
college boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 30542
There is an adapter for a prerunner that Inchworm sells. But honestly, you might as well start with a 4x4 if you haven't bought one already.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 52753
How much money do you have avalible---realistically. From where you are it wont be cheap...based on the infor provided.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 16522
So the topic is Straight Front Axle Conversion and somehow we are talking about transmissions/transfer cases?

You could just buy a 4wd transmission/transfer case so you aren't plopping down the initial money you are paying for a 4wd over a 2wd but that might be too easy

Inchworms adapter is to convert a 2wd TACOMA transmission to use either an older Toyota transfer case or Tacoma transfer case, I can't remember which...

01 Tacoma with some shit
generalee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 16719
the answer you're looking for is on the other side of a time+skill+money equation. you must not have much time since you did no research, and you already sound intimidated by any required fabrication. that leaves money-you'll need your own bank.
jdrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 18993
i always wondered how it would work out if you ran a divorced tcase to convert the 2 wheel drive. you could do a divorced atlas or stack and use the cable shifters to put them where you want.

does that make sense?

i just dont know how much room is availiable behind the tranny to pull it off without the t-case hanging too low.

[QUOTE=Grumpy_old_fart;7711636]yeah, sure build it. drive it. can i get an insurance policy with your name on it, so i can be beneficiary when you die?[/QUOTE]
e-hills4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Grocery Getter

Member # 59
Start reading.

/forum/toyota-tacoma/504902-03-prerunner-4x4-sas.html
ErikB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 77523
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikB View Post
That's my favorite thread!

Let me see if I can give some advice to summarize that thread. . .

If you're gonna do the conversion, go with the Inchworm adaptor mentioned earlier in this thread (which is about $600). Don't bother with trying to find an exact-match tranny. It's very hard to find one, there's a lot of possibility for problems (as shown in my thread), and it'll probably cost more. . . .

The conversion will also require shortening and re-balancing your rear driveshaft, finding an appropriate t-case, cutting holes in the cab for the t-case shifters, and fabricating/installing a t-case crossmember (at least $1k all together). However, if you are going to put it in dual t-cases, then you would have to do all of those things anways.

The SAS will not affect your decision whether to do a conversion or buy a stock 4x4. The SAS is basically a separate project all together. Perhaps the only thing to consider is that doing a SAS on a 4x4 will leave you with more parts to sell and possibly make some extra money. . . .

So to summarize, I would say these are your best choices:

1. If you save more than $1500 getting a 2WD versus a 4x4, then get the 2WD and convert it.

2. If you are not going to save at least $1500, then just get the 4x4.

3. If you are going to install dual t-cases, it doesn't matter which route you take. It will cost about the same, except for the extra money you make from selling the front 4x4 parts after the SAS.

[COLOR="Red"]Diamond Axle w/ 30-splines, hydro-assist, Dual Ultimate Crawler, e-lockers, 5.29s[/COLOR] -- [COLOR="Orange"]5" springs, Bilstein 5150s, Fox airbumps[/COLOR] -- [COLOR="green"]40" Iroks on 17" beadlocks[/COLOR] -- [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]ARB bumper, rocksliders, Warn M8000[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504902"]PreRunner --> SAS 4WD Thread[/URL] :D
Revivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 52753
Hard to find a tranny for a tacoma? No way!

Getting a used tranny is much cheaper and easier.

I didnt have the money to go SAS (no the time or welder at a convenient locatoin), but I did go prerunner--->4wd.

Bought a 98 4Runner 5vz auto tranny. Bolts in just fine, all sensors plug in properly but the speed sensor---that is only because 4Runners have wheel speed sensors, not tranny ones. But you just have to buy a tacoma VSS and bolt it in (the hole is there---its just capped) That was 55 for me. Tranny after shipping was 700. 4wd auto tranny's also have larger pan which is better for cooling.

You also dont have to get the drivshafts lengthened or shortened. OEM's bolt in, mine cost 150 for the pair.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 77523
I hear you. . . . It sounds like you got some really good deals.

For me, it was a clear choice to go with the conversion adaptor. I couldn't find a tranny that would work (I wasted time and money on one that didn't). The adaptor is only $600 and is gauranteed.

I also didn't like the idea of putting in a tranny that I didn't know how it was treated or maintained. My tranny only had 14k miles.

In addition, I knew that I needed new drivelines front and rear because I needed a long slip to accomodate my lift and the extra flex I have. I also wanted to put in dual cases. . . .

So I guess it all depends on the each person's setup. I wanted to get it all done in one shot (conversion, SAS, dual cases, lift, wheels, etc.). So it made more sense for me to get the conversion plate. If "college boy" is going to run a stock case, no major lift or flex, and he can find a tranny/t-case as cheap as you did, then I would say that going that route would be better. But if he decides to do any of those extra modificaions, then he may want to consider the conversion adaptor.

[COLOR="Red"]Diamond Axle w/ 30-splines, hydro-assist, Dual Ultimate Crawler, e-lockers, 5.29s[/COLOR] -- [COLOR="Orange"]5" springs, Bilstein 5150s, Fox airbumps[/COLOR] -- [COLOR="green"]40" Iroks on 17" beadlocks[/COLOR] -- [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]ARB bumper, rocksliders, Warn M8000[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504902"]PreRunner --> SAS 4WD Thread[/URL] :D
Revivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 93462
/forum/toyota-tacoma/622105-3rd-gen-4runner-2wd-4wd-conversion-using-inchworm-lefty-5-1-prerunner-adps.html

another inchworm converison thread for you, check it out, though with my 4runner the tailshaft was twice as long due to a slipyoke dshaft.
neliconcept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:15 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 52753
Yeah I was a bit paranoid about the tranny for a month or so lol. But after a while I basically found it good.