old friend - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 43856
old friend

What's up fellas! Been a long time but trying to get back to the dirt. I took a few years off letting the primed bobbed sas'd taco sit to take care of my young family. Its been long enough and reading mags and occasional posts just isnt cutting it anymore.

Ive read just about everywhere and now am lookin for experiences and what ever strength info anyone wants to offer.

I need a new front axle. My plan is to not to over build but to hopefully find a good mix of weight and strength without just going big with a 60. Basics are 39" tires on a full bodied 1st gen double cab, v6 for now, and my level 10 tranny that could pull a foundation from a house.

Of course any new axle will use quality components, so that is not the question. Assuming the best parts available for any given axle whats worth my limited time and money.

my waggy 44 is too narrow and bent, but I could probably keep some of the components and find a full size as possibly my cheapest option. I've read that toy axle components are holding up more and more, and would be the lightest option as well as remain faithful to toyota. Ford 9seem to have great strength and weigh slightly more than toys, with a removable 3rd also.
Dana 60 are the build it once and forget about it but are heavy as a fat chick at a salad bar.

I know with a double a 4cyl can move a D60, but I want to keep flying up the sand dunes outside of Mead dry lake and still work through Outer Limits (if it remains available by the time i finish my build).

What are you running and hows it holding up.

Thanks for the help trying to get me back into the garage.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
El Presidente

Member # 38540
Whatup ? , I was wondering what'd happened to you . You should go to TDS next weekend for some motivations

WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

*ROCK BRAWLERS* So-Cal
www.RockBrawlers.com

Fifth annual SoCal Off-Road Truck Show . Coming 2013 .
www.OffRoadTruckShow.com
Infernal Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 43856
del sol would be tits but doing the boys bday this saturday so getting bouncers and beer. Fun for all. Putting a navi unit and component speakers in the new tundy on sunday.

I still got pics of your booger from the Expo I use for inspiration.

Its been crazy, 80hr work weeks, working on my bachelors dont help with a 4 yr old and 2 yr old, and a new house... I want to capitalize on the businesses closing their doors. Not much else I can get from Circuit City that will help the taco.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 19150
Lyle-

I'm in the same boat as you, wanting to got to 60s, but I don't want to spend a huge chunk of change. I would go with a diamond front and keep it all toyota. I have a diamond rear with my e-locker with a full float kit and it has never failed me on 37s. I'm considering a toy front as 609s are just way too pricey right now especially since I will be on leafs for the near future.

Tim
Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote