Project/lawn ornament 97 Taco - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 112659
Project/lawn ornament 97 Taco

Its been a while since i built a truck. I have wanted to do a tacoma for a while. I bought this 97 Tacoma extracab with the 5vz-fe(3.4L) and 5spd with 119K for 5K, while i was still in Afghan.
Name:  DSC00147.jpg
Views: 9910
Size:  73.3 KB
Name:  DSC00148.jpg
Views: 9560
Size:  73.5 KB

I was also able to pick up a complete D60KP dually axle for 300 dollars complete and a D70U for $200.

Plans are obviously the same as many others, SAS it with the 1tons.
RUF's
4.88's
ARB's (dont want to drive it on the streets here in the winter locked up)
Hysteer
Dual ultimates
39 IROK's
Old 07-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 112659
I got bored one night and decided to do a bed bob. I cut 13 1/4" out the bed. and made a simple bumper in 45 minutes.
A couple days before the bed bob, me and my room mate built a home made snow plow and were racing around the drive way and he acedently backed into the bed. No biggie didint hit anything that i wasnt really cutting out.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 112659
After gathering up most all the parts i decided to cut it up. Started that on April 1st.

45 min later

Had remove a piece of the exhaust to drill. Everything is all rusty here so i ended up sacraficing a cheap socket.

First idea was to run the shackel mounts through the frame but i quickly changed my mind as i didnt like it and went out and got skys frenched shackel kit instead.

I also used the front hanger as i dont have stuff to fab as well up here and metal is expensive. I was upset that i asked for the hanger with out the logo and they sent it anyways.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 112659
Not too much got done on it over the following 3 weeks. My brother and his friend came up and helped some. I was told we were going to have it sitting on its wheels before he leves and well he wasnt joking.

So far the rough measurements are:
22 3/4" to bottom of frame.
75" top of cab
and a ridiclous 129" wheelbase. Might be adjusting the in the future.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 112659
Then as im putting it together and doing all the small details i learned some shit i didnt know.
Ok,(regarding a D60F) so it turns out when using the remaned D60 forged wheel hubs from Solid axle to convert from DWA to SWA,

(http://www.solidaxle.com/ProductCart...&idcategory=11)

you cant just use the rest of your regular D60 parts. Obviously your DWA hubs are different and the rotars are bolted to the hubs insted of pinned whith wheel studs. I figured i could just go get the wheel studs and SWA rotars and calipers for a standard 1 ton Chevy truck equiped with the D60KP. wrong. When using these hubs to convert to SWA on you D60, you must get a flat brake bracket, can be ordered from Solidaxle Or you can make your own.

Next you need 73-78 Chevy 1/2 ton brake calipers.
Raybestos parts numers:
Wheel studs # 610-180
Rotors # 5014 (chevy 3/4 front rotors)

The nice thing about these forged wheel hubs are that:
• Wheel hubs designed for strength and durability.
• Hubs are CNC machined from a forging.
• Not a cast piece like all other competitors.
• Utilizes standard components (studs, bearings, seals) readily available at local parts stores.
• Accepts internal style lockout hubs as well as drive flanges from most manufacturers including Solid Axle Industries' drive flange kits.
• These are manufactured by Solid Axle Industries and are not weak remanufactured OEM Hubs.
• Fits Dodge and GM spindles
• Replaces cast units

These hubs call for Ryabestos PN: 610-180(3/4 ton wheel stud) wich is a wheel studs measuring .605dia at the knurl. DONOT REAUSE ANY OF YOUR OLD WHEEL HUB STUDS! They are too big. They meassure .675ish dia.
When my brother and i put the truck together real quick to atleast have it on wheels, we reused the old dually wheel studs. i didnt have my rotora at the time. when i put on the rotors i thought i was to use (since their website didnt tell me to use 3/4 rotors) they didnt fit. my new wheel studs PN:610-180 would fall thru the holes.
I went back and got wheel studs from napa for a 1ton chevy truck which are a little bigger in diameter and pushed them thru.
* this is a fix if you do make this mistake, Note that you will need to drill or grind out the holes in the hat of the rotor a very small amount or you will crack the rotor when seating the wheel studs.

Last edited by Mike Honcho; 07-17-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Mike Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 112659
Well i got one of the hubs completed. waiting till tuesday to order the bracket to mount up the calipers.

I did my oil pan swap, Took the factory front sump oil pan out and strainer and installed the new 2wd T100 oil pan and strainer. pretty fast swap.

next i started preping the shock hoops to be mounted. made frame scabs for the mounting of the TG shock hoops. (haha woulda made my own but getting tube here is ridiclous)

Before i can finish up the shock hoops i want to mount the steering gear box. That way i can ensure when i put the bracing on the hoops they wont interfere with the steering shaft.
Its a really close fit, but after cycling it a few times i decided it would be good enough and drilled the holes.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 112659
Ok, so i was learning more as i went. I have yet to find this info anywhere regarding these hubs set up on a normal D60. I was tols that most of the time these hubs are used in comp buggies on custom axles.
Now that my flat brake brackets showed up from spintech i started mounting everything up for the front brakes. I made sure i traced the bracket before instalation so i can send it to my brother to enter into a plasmacam back home.

Once i mounted the braket i reinstalled the rotor and hub, then tried bolting up the GM 1/2 caliper. I noticed the caliper didnt go on as it was hitting the spindel. So i traced the area on the spindal i woul have to clearence, took the bracket back off and ground it down.

Once it was ground down, i reinstalled the bracket and test fit the caliper.

Once the test fit proved good, I took the caliper off and reassembled the whole hub, rotor and caliper set up.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 112659
Well not too much has been acomplished lately. Alot has to do with the gheyass army ways in wich i spent many nights getting home late for no reason other than we didnt get released until late even though there was nothing to do. Therefore every thing was closed.

I did get my package from my brother the friday. It was my custom power steering line for the high pressure side. Total cost was like 16dollars. I then bought some more line and a cooler and got it all hooked up.

I also got the crawl box cleaned up and built. so now i just got to clean all the grease and grime off the second Tcase that i will be using, then i can build it and mate them and one day install them.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 112659
As of today the dual cases are build but sitting in the house. waiting on a box from my brother that has some shit i need.
The D70U ARB and gear install is kicking my ass. Ive never had a problem like this before. The only issue and which ive never had experienced before is i have a tight spot in the gear set. Its only in 1 spot when rotating the ring gear around it will tighten up. My BL goes from 7thou to zero. Ive got a good pattern tho. Ive torn it all apart twice, flat filed the ring gear mounting surface as well as carrier. Im totally confused and getting pissed. I think i will tear the whole thing apart and double check everything.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 75648
What's you MOS, killer?

Making quick work of the taco!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #11 (permalink)
4" penis

Member # 2931
did you know your brother is gay? tried to gimme a blowjob last time i was up there

4sale: 37x17 radial irok(spare) Xterrain(70%)and two36x17(50%)bias$50-100, 97 fzj80 front axle(open/4.10/stock)$600, FOA airbumps w cans$200/pair(2 sets, no leaks), drilled/ tapped ifs box$150. PM for pics via text
Booger Weldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
4" penis

Member # 2931
taco looks badass...low and wide! deja vu
Attached Images

4sale: 37x17 radial irok(spare) Xterrain(70%)and two36x17(50%)bias$50-100, 97 fzj80 front axle(open/4.10/stock)$600, FOA airbumps w cans$200/pair(2 sets, no leaks), drilled/ tapped ifs box$150. PM for pics via text
Old 07-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
4" penis

Member # 2931
[QUOTE=Mike Honcho;11654175] My brother and his friend came up and helped some. I was told we were going to have it sitting on its wheels before he leves and well he wasnt joking.

wes can definitely knock out some fabrication in a small amount of time!

Old 07-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 112659
Quote:
Originally Posted by TachedOutOffRoad View Post
What's you MOS, killer?

I wish i was working faster
MOS is 11B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Weldz View Post
did you know your brother is gay? tried to gimme a blowjob last time i was up there
Haha. what do you mean tried? you didnt let him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Weldz View Post
wes can definitely knock out some fabrication in a small amount of time!
When he wants too. haha. Not too much to fab. mailnly bolt together. Just sux workin out side in the weather. need to finish before the snow is back
Old 07-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 10069
Send a message via AIM to bigredford04 Send a message via Yahoo to bigredford04
What springs are you using?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 121406
looks great. i love tacos on tons
83oneton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 112659
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredford04 View Post
What springs are you using?
RUF's and the factory tacoma springs in the rear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83oneton View Post
looks great. i love tacos on tons
Thanks
Old 07-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 112659
Well tonight i tried doing the rear gears again. This time i rotated the ring gear on the carrier reinstalling everything for the millionth time. This time around theres not tight spots and it stays between 6 an 7 thousandsth BL.
So i start to prep the cap to notch it for the copper line and broke the damn copper line off If it aint one thing its another. Oh well its now getting that much closer to driving again. Had to quit for the night cause it started to rain. Miss having a garage.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 31552
Send a message via AIM to abrogate Send a message via MSN to abrogate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
Then as im putting it together and doing all the small details i learned some shit i didnt know.
Ok,(regarding a D60F) so it turns out when using the remaned D60 forged wheel hubs from Solid axle to convert from DWA to SWA,

(http://www.solidaxle.com/ProductCart...&idcategory=11)

you cant just use the rest of your regular D60 parts. Obviously your DWA hubs are different and the rotars are bolted to the hubs insted of pinned whith wheel studs. I figured i could just go get the wheel studs and SWA rotars and calipers for a standard 1 ton Chevy truck equiped with the D60KP. wrong. When using these hubs to convert to SWA on you D60, you must get a flat brake bracket, can be ordered from Solidaxle Or you can make your own.

Next you need 73-78 Chevy 1/2 ton brake calipers.
Raybestos parts numers:
Wheel studs # 610-180
Rotors # 5014 (chevy 3/4 front rotors)

The nice thing about these forged wheel hubs are that:
Wheel hubs designed for strength and durability.
Hubs are CNC machined from a forging.
Not a cast piece like all other competitors.
Utilizes standard components (studs, bearings, seals) readily available at local parts stores.
Accepts internal style lockout hubs as well as drive flanges from most manufacturers including Solid Axle Industries' drive flange kits.
These are manufactured by Solid Axle Industries and are not weak remanufactured OEM Hubs.
Fits Dodge and GM spindles
Replaces cast units

These hubs call for Ryabestos PN: 610-180(3/4 ton wheel stud) wich is a wheel studs measuring .605dia at the knurl. DONOT REAUSE ANY OF YOUR OLD WHEEL HUB STUDS! They are too big. They meassure .675ish dia.
When my brother and i put the truck together real quick to atleast have it on wheels, we reused the old dually wheel studs. i didnt have my rotora at the time. when i put on the rotors i thought i was to use (since their website didnt tell me to use 3/4 rotors) they didnt fit. my new wheel studs PN:610-180 would fall thru the holes.
I went back and got wheel studs from napa for a 1ton chevy truck which are a little bigger in diameter and pushed them thru.
* this is a fix if you do make this mistake, Note that you will need to drill or grind out the holes in the hat of the rotor a very small amount or you will crack the rotor when seating the wheel studs.

I don't know if I am following this right, but it doesn't really matter now that you already have it all together. Most people refer to the axles as DRW or SRW (meaning the front axle came out of a truck with either Dual Rear Wheels or Single Rear Wheel). This hub made by SA must be a little different than others, because the ones I bought (OEM GM stuff) I just needed a different rotor and used the same studs, calipers and caliper brackets.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 31552
Send a message via AIM to abrogate Send a message via MSN to abrogate
And what RUF's are you using? They don't really look like the 2nd gen pickup stuff.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 112659
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogate View Post
I don't know if I am following this right, but it doesn't really matter now that you already have it all together. Most people refer to the axles as DRW or SRW (meaning the front axle came out of a truck with either Dual Rear Wheels or Single Rear Wheel). This hub made by SA must be a little different than others, because the ones I bought (OEM GM stuff) I just needed a different rotor and used the same studs, calipers and caliper brackets.
I know the meaning behing DRW an SRW. Thats the info that i got when i called people at SA. i thought it was odd but its cool that you can do it this way and not grind calipers to fit 15" wheels, plus its cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrogate View Post
And what RUF's are you using? They don't really look like the 2nd gen pickup stuff.
IIRC its a mix of 1st and 2nd gen rear leafs. I dont rember exactly, I got them from a guy up here and put em together.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #22 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Honcho View Post
I know the meaning behing DRW an SRW. Thats the info that i got when i called people at SA. i thought it was odd but its cool that you can do it this way and not grind calipers to fit 15" wheels, plus its cheaper.

IIRC its a mix of 1st and 2nd gen rear leafs. I dont rember exactly, I got them from a guy up here and put em together.
it was two 2nd gen packs one 84 and one 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachedOutOffRoad View Post
What's you MOS, killer?

yeah right.....notice the snow level in the beginning to now....get off your ass grandpa

BTW it is about time you started a build thread when did you start work on this like march?

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 07-21-2010 at 11:33 AM.
ryantowry_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 89309
Updates????
Old 08-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 37728
Badass!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM   #25 (permalink)
Expert Web Wheeler

Member # 122722
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1TNDRA View Post
Updates????
some one does not have a computer right now but i can tell you it is on the road......in 2wd. i will get him to take some pics and post them or him.
ryantowry_81 is offline   Reply With Quote