Rear spring upgrade?? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Tacoma
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 137944
Rear spring upgrade??

I've searched and all I've found is stuff for 79-85 toyota's. I have a 99 toyota tacoma and the rear leaf springs are straight as a board. I want to put some springs on there that have more arch and flex but also be able to put a decent load in the bed or on the trailer hitch and not worrie about it sagging down to bad. I'm thinking the Ford F150 springs are the best thing to put in the rear of the tacoma. If anyone has done this i have a few questions.

- how much lift does it give with the stock shackels?
- what are the measurements to move the front and rear spring mounts to keep the axle in the stock location?
- do you have to reset the pinion angle?

If you have any other idea's for spring upgrades for the rear of a toyota tacoma I'm all ears. I just needs something that gives a about 3-5 inches of lift and is gonna give me the strength for a decent load. All I was able to come up with is Ford f150 springs they give good flex and a decent load.

Thanks for the help.
85 toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 129234
Why don't you go with new springs that fit the 99 instead of moving hangers and what not. I have the All-Pro 3" kit on my 99, I really like them and are plenty strong with great flex. They even make a 5" kit as well.

Or if your stuck on junkyard springs...I believe the chevy leafs give 3" or more inches. There's an FAQ on here all about that, search for it and you'll get your answer quick.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 137944
I've read the chevy and ford faq 3 times each now. I'm not stuck on the junkyard springs I just want something that will flex well offroad and at the same time carry a good load in the bed or on the trailer hitch. I have considered the all pro springs and they seem to be great but the only reason why I havent bought any is because they said on there web sight quote: (These springs are NOT designed for weight carring capability. They are designed for ride quality and flex.) But your saying that you can put a good load in your toyota and pull a decent trailer with your truck? Because they give me the ride and flex I want but it seems that I cant get the load capacity that I want. I'll get a set if you swear by it.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 86615
OME (Old Man Emu) Dakars are suppose to be a good spring, about 3in of lift, and go for under 400 a set...
Also make an HD set for towing

Wheelers offroad has a couple different options...

Last edited by Cheapj7; 08-19-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Cheapj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 165842
all im running in all-pro 5" in the rear and all all-pro 6" in the ront. flexes graet and rides nice. i love them. but i think im going to pull the two bottom spring out of the front pack..

kholt96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 165842
its going to be almost impossible to find springs that are going to flex and towing at the same time. you have to have a soft spring for flex and stiff springs for towing. it would be nice if it all worked out that way though.

Last edited by kholt96; 08-19-2010 at 10:09 AM.
kholt96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 57073
They chevy 63" springs work great for both offroading and carring a load. I have loaded up the bed full of firewood, camping gear, campershell, etc and never had a problem. I have even towed a loaded cargo trail and a camper before. It might cause it to squat a bit nothing to bad. Also if you are to worried just get the chevy 63" springs with the overload and then remove it if its too stiff. I have experience with softer springs cause I ran Deavers on my K5 blazer and those would sag if I put anything in the rear but the chevys work just fine on the Tacomas.
Camok5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 101155
i have to add another vote to the Chevy springs. i have them on mine and they flex great, ride like a caddy and they can carry a decent load on them as well. i left the over load and made some 5" shackles for them to get my desired lift. go for these. the price will vary, but i lucked out and got mine from a guy that was parting out his chevy and paid 25 bucks for them.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 137944
63" chevys are nice but people complain that they are to long for there liking. I would probably go with the ford f150 springs for the junkyard set up. But everyone kept telling me to go with all pro so I called them and they said that there springs will do anything that the stock toyota springs will do but maybe a litte more. But they were designed to flex and give a good ride. So I'm gonna go ahead and order the all-pro springs. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 160985
85 toyota, how soon you plan doing the spring swap? I'm running in the same problem. Mines a 1997 runner thats been SAS and I'm looking to leaf the rear but don't know which springs to go with. I have a few people tell me get custom springs from Alcan or deaver. They can get costly plus the cost of shipping. Good luck with the upgrade!
Jakomatacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 137944
I plan on doing the swap asap!! But I have a 84 4 runner that I'm selling so I'm probably going to wait until I get money on that but if it takes to long I'm going to go ahead and do it. It will all be done and over with before sep 15th for sure.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 137944
Sorry to bring this subject again but I was searching around a little bit ago and Northwest Offroad has springs that start from stock all the way up to 3" of lift. There springs are HD and they are alot more beefy than the stock springs. I was wondering if any one is running the Northwest offroad springs? Do they flex ok? Ride ok? They say they carry 700lbs more than the stock springs, I'm not sure if they flex good tho because usually when you have more strength you have less flex.. If they flex pretty good I'd rather go with this so that way I dont have to buy new shackels for the rear of my truck. Thanks again for the help ya'll..
Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 134246
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85 toyota View Post
Sorry to bring this subject again but I was searching around a little bit ago and Northwest Offroad has springs that start from stock all the way up to 3" of lift. There springs are HD and they are alot more beefy than the stock springs. I was wondering if any one is running the Northwest offroad springs? Do they flex ok? Ride ok? They say they carry 700lbs more than the stock springs, I'm not sure if they flex good tho because usually when you have more strength you have less flex.. If they flex pretty good I'd rather go with this so that way I dont have to buy new shackels for the rear of my truck. Thanks again for the help ya'll..
Ran them in my ext v6 04 with all my tools spares gear and a fiberglass shell.
Wheeled great and didnt sag. Worth every penny!
NorCalToy is offline   Reply With Quote