Pirate 4x4 banner

Bro-coma.. getting unbro-d

667K views 2K replies 238 participants last post by  downpour11 
#1 · (Edited)
Well after almost 3 years of buying parts/tools/and moving out im finally able to start building my 02 tacoma. i had a built 85 runner before this, but wanted to build something more complex and newer. the silver bullet was part of my inspiration to get a tacoma years ago.

i bought this truck fully bro-d out. wasnt looking for most of the stuff that the original owner did to it, but i got a good deal and it was the model i was looking for.

i already have my 60 and 14b built and ready, dual ultimate's are done, have all my steering/rod ends/and lots of other stuff. its getting a 3 link front, 4 link rear, coilovers front and rear, and air bumps.

i still need to buy coilovers, bumps, and link material. moneys been tight with my new job so im not able to buy parts like i was able to a year ago.

either way i have enough parts and money to get 3/4's the way done, before i need to buy the last expensive items.

heres all the pictures to get caught up, ill be starting my motor mounts this weekend.

when i bought it

after i took most of the b.s, lowered it a bit and put mtrs on it

badass huh??

the axles, but i changed the rear 14b truss since these pics were taken

See less See more
#2 ·
(starting 3 weeks ago) new clutch tranny/duals and cross member are all done. still need to do a few inside cosmetics for the twin sticks, front frame is done, fish plated/body mounts in. i was able to flat belly it no problem. also lifted the motor up over 2 inches since i have the 01-04 hood, a 1" body lift and just other extra room this truck seems to have everywhere.

#8 ·
Great start!!! Truck is going to be sick can't wait to see how it turns out!!!

#9 ·
do you weld for a living? cause your welds are redonkulous!

#10 ·
Thanks guys. Where I work I'm a fabricator probably 70 percent of the time. I took a college program to learn and get cirts. But I don't use my certs and what I took was strictly for everything else but MIG. Iv just MIG welded enough over the years and taught myself.

#15 ·
started on the motor mounts this evening, i have a busy weekend but they will probably be done by sunday. i used half of the original motor mount. the later style 3.4s had the thick stamped steel motor mounts instead of the cast ones some of the earlier styles had. made it really easy because the bolt pattern and depth changed so much on the mounting surface it would be a pain in the ass to completely start from scratch.

#18 ·
you chunder fuck!!!! ill have to come see this before i permanently move away matt. i know its going to be done when im finally gone which sucks :(

brian, cutting the whole frame off is the easiest thing to do and should be the only way to do a SAS. you start over with a new frame thats twice as strong as the old one. also like you said, no god damn torching and grinding. i hate that.

#28 ·
ill be running 5.38s with a 40. i think ill be content, kinda late to go back now since the axles have been done for over a year. i know callen wasnt really happy with that setup on his runner.. but then again he probably will have over 500lbs on mine so we will see.

ya i was interested in that shave kit but i had already finished that axle by the time they came out with it so i didn't really wanna have to redo stuff. there are 2 different styles of 14bolt though, everything's the same but the lip on the bottom is slightly different. the one i happened to get allows you to shave probably an inch off the bottom from factory, but if you do it.. it takes out the very bottom diff cover hole. basically the pumpkin sits like 1/2 higher but theres a bigger lip of a rock anchor hanging down...but the upside is that you can torch it down. it looks like a 70u. i can take a better picture of it but it actually made it a lot better

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.