Pirate 4x4 banner

My modified 1991 4runner on 44" tires

22K views 97 replies 41 participants last post by  hauckster 
#1 · (Edited)
my 1991 44" modified 4runner. And Daily Driver.

Part of its mods are extended wheele base , the rear axle moved,back by 10 inches and up front to it has a SFA swap put as much forward as possible

Longer wheel base = more flotation on snow.

four link in front and rear

and alot of stuff i will write about later

4"lift
5:71 drive ratio
Arb lockers front / rear
44" 18.50x15 Dick Cepek Fun country
15" x 18" wide wheels
Special hydraulic staring jacks to help manage these large tires
AC air pump ,
3 fuel tanks ~ 60 gallaons of gasoline
engine is 3.0 V6
5 speed
Headers / 3" exhaust , K&N filter
Garmin GPS
VHF yaesu radio
CB President radio
And a whole lot of body cutting

Special hydraulic jacks to help manage these large tires
The Special hydraulic jack ( lower ) and the Steering shock ( upper )
The Tires are big 44" Dic k Capek Fun Country on 15" high and 18" wide wheels
air crane on the wheels for quick pumping and discharge of air.
The Cockpit ,Function ower form! The GPS , VHF and the buttons next to the radio are for the fuel tanks and air pumps , the buttonst left by the stearing wheel are for the working lights on top og the truck.
Went on a 24hour

See less See more
#3 ·
new-paint. tear apart for the base

painted!
I had to go over the paint and buff.it here and there.

then i swaped a inline 6cyl nissan patrol 2.8 TDI engine into it
good engineswap to get rid of the thursty v6.

#4 ·
I changed the head and rod bearings in this before it went in and put new glow plugs..

Some measurements i did

Engine
bellhousing -> front of the timebelt cover 70 cm / 27.6 in
bellhousing -> front of the Engine Dampers / Pulleys 75 cm / 29.5 in
bellhousing -> front of the fan 82 cm / 32.3 in

Truck
Firewall -> "Radiator support " 84 cm / 33.1 in

I think i need to delete the stock fan and add one or two electronic fans in front of the radiator to push air throo..

If i do that i get 9.1 cm / 3.6 in to play with..
And some HP as the stock fan steals some..

byebye V6
Then the build begins
Ac Airpump and new alternator.
new pipes for the intercooler and air intake
new

#5 · (Edited)
radiator with slim electric fan.[/B]
Manifold from y61. With inlet on top.
:smokin:
First drive 4runner diesel, Nissan RD28T SWAP

Artic trucks front mount intercooler
rear shaft ready from the composition. Front shaft not ready. Toyota on left, Nissan on right.

I am very satisfied with the resault. The motor is very sharp and has good powerband. And in this light truck , and with such a low drive ratio (5:71) but at 2350rpm at 60mph.
The power is considerably greater than the v6.
The diesel engine holds speed upphill in 5th gear and dooing 50mph where the v6 had to be tortured in 4th eaven 3rd gear.
The best thing is the 22mpg fuel consumption in mixed driving which is three times the reduction From the 3.0 v6

MOV005 - YouTube

#6 ·
Went on a brillient 3days trip with friends.
We drove to the mountains on friday night where we stayed in a cabin for the night. Then drove into the middle of the highland on the saturday untill we got to a cabin called setur where we spent the the saturday night bbq ing and drinking bear and having fun.
On the sunday we had to get back. The return trip took 19hours do to harsh snow condition and trucks breaking down. But my 4runner did well. The fuel consumption was good! Approximatly 25gallons of oil for the weekand. Would have been abour 60 if i was still with the 3.0 v6.

Last fuel stop untill the artic highland at Hrauneyjar highland center

air pressure lowerd down to 5psi

#8 ·
We went on a day trip last saturday.
The trucks were
2x 38" Hilux , 42" Pajero , 44" Patrol , 4runner 44".

Here are some of the pictures
At the intersection Into the valley Dómadalur [ judgments Valley ] Some sledguys in troble.

Crawl through lava

#20 · (Edited)
whats all done to the axles in that contraption? i imagine 44s on yota running gear would be a no bueno.
‎40k miles it got on 44" .. only problem is the rear wheel bearings needs to be replaced every 15k miles
not fond of the radius arm setup... especially the mounts. ugly 3 foot hunk of steel contraption there.
How would you have it ??? Have you build a 44" truck that can be driven like a daily ?

#28 ·
At first, i was thinking- what the hell, 44's on a toyota, and the truck looks a little funny compared to what i'm used to. But the more pics i saw, i see it is a whole other enviroment, thats what trucks have to be, to make it. kind of cool to see what a "built" truck looks like in another part of the world. Thanks for sharing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.