leakage - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 86801
Send a message via AIM to rockhaulin86
leakage

help me figure this out guys! got a 79 toy p/u 20r.. leaks oil on the front of the motor but i cannot for the life of me find out where its leaking. at first the oil pump o-ring was leaking so i replaced that + the front main seal. got a new balancer so the seal would have a new surface to seal. dosent leak from the oil pump anymore, but leaks somewhere else? i cant figure it out. the half moon seal for the valve cover isnt leaking, front of the pan isnt leaking. timing cover sure as heck isnt leaking. its like its a tiny leak that my electric fan is blowing all over the damn place making it look severe. p/s pump isnt leakin also. any ideas where else i can check that might leak? when i degrease the motor and start it up it dosent leak only untill i start driving it. then it just looks like there is oil every f***ing where.
rockhaulin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Trailbusters4x4 club

Member # 117547
Are we sapossed to use our over the internet x-ray glasses to see where its leaking? hmm post some pics up of what it looks like! mayby clean it up. disconnect your electric fan and run it and take a look!
ECV 1004
FuzzyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 209340
Take all the pulleys off clean the motor and run it. My first question is did I use a Toyota o ring. It is almost impossible to install one of those aftermarket piece of shit o rings. I had had the same problem and after doing all that you did I had to go back to the o ring
whitwilliams74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
I See You

Member # 138976
there is oil fucking everywhere, replace the whole damn thing. Waay easier than cleanup and looking

I Like Bright Colors

Romans 1:28-32

Matthews 7:15-20

John 14

Surah 109

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
I had that happen once. It ended up having a small crack right below that dimple in the cover where that one bolt that goes from the head into the cover (one bolt under the dist gear).

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 86801
i talked to jay (yotamasters) he says if there is oil in that bolt hole and you install the bolt without cleaning the hole it will hydrolock and crack your cover.. well... the hole was clean 7,000 miles ago when i installed the bolt so it should be good. its just one of those leaks that are a bitch in a half. i replaced the o-ring the first time with the aftermarket piece of shit that is pretty much junk. then i got the factory one and still the same damn thing. so i figure i'd recheck the torque spec on them 5 bolts and they were all right so beats the hell outta me. i just cleaned the heck outta the motor and its dry... for now... ill start it up ina few hours see if i can check where its leaking. i ordered another o-ring from the dealer so ill go pick that up and fingers crossed
Old 04-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 1588
Send a message via Yahoo to crash
One thing with those motors is the chain slings tons of oil off it. If there is even a pinhole in the area of the chain its going to cause a good leak. The reason you only see it after driving is because of the higher RPM's causing higher oil pressures and volume of oil thru the system.

Next time run it around 2000 rpm and watch for an oil leak.

crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 86801
i thought it could be a pinhole leak somewhere on that cover, but ill check it tomorrow when the motor is cold so i can run it without the elec fan on. dont wanna take this truck to the shop because i know they are just going to want to replace a bunch of crap thats not needed