2nd gen linked runner - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
2nd gen linked runner

So i have had this thorn in my side of a 4runner for a few years that was my younger brothers, almost all of the drive terrain was rebuilt on it with very low miles and he wanted to sell it since he was engaged and moving on.
body and frame were ugly, interior was decent,ran great, but needed allot of love. I decided to buy it and it sat around for about 1.5 years before cutting it up and decided to make it a d.d weekend wheeler for my old lady, so here is a few pics of how it went down.
couple pics i think from end of 07 only wheelin pics i had on laptop of the runner maybe some on old one at house?? think this was 6'under..

this is where it sat for almost a year moved in and out at the old shop slowly rotting away....

bondo falling out and rust holes, we had to build complete new rear quarters all hand formed right into the door openings, was a real pain, also recessed the quarters a bit too..
underside

and as of now sitting gets blowed off and fired up every now and then and moved from place to place but now it needs to get done and used...

If you build it they will come.
the-t-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
and as it sat for quite a while taking up a hoist spot.

dust replaced the fenders in the front..

gonna do the windshield while were at it and better for the paint job it will get..

rear quarters needs a bit of prep still

inner quarters these sucked to build..

doors were replaced with better ones and prep

the old 3link in the rear works good but i want a better ride for some what of a dd mobile...

front sas axle has been moved forward about 3-4" from stock.
i was bad with taking allot of pics in the body repair stage.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
so i got to work on it a little bit on the weekend, made little bit of progress but will really have to get on it soon lots of things planned before i want this thing finished...
so starting to take apart the front end

and its out..

really remember now how much i hate cutting off front spring hangers..so shock hoops off, x-member, rear torsion mounts are off since the upper link mounts need to go right there,,,parts are coming in for it so should get some more done late weekend early next week...

Old 04-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
im going to run 37s forsure on it. few parts came in coilovers for front and rear and i have the front housing a link kit so i tacked in a couple piece's..
some radflo 2" remote res c/o's for the front, and non res for the rear..

starting the mock up on the front links in place need to install the panhard so i had to make up my mind on 6 shooters or not? guys at the shop peer pressured me..

i used a tg front housing (rear also) i had smurfs in it before took those out and put some dirty 30s in it. 6 shooters, cromo hub gears, yukon knuckle rebuild kit, and yukon wheel bearings, marlin hd inner seals, order the front housing 3" wider so custom short side axle.
i didnt take allot of pics assembling the front diff since my hands were covered in packing grease.
cromo hub gears

555 tre's nice product for a d.d

i wanted to keep about 5-6" of uptravel in the front and i went with some 14" c/o's so yes i did have to do a fair bit of inner well cutting. tg doesnt have there front link kit to work with regular steering only full hydro. i know it can be done linking the front since i have done it lots in the past but that was with fabricating my own kit. so main thing is panhard mount is to far forward, if it is notched back further with a bend and move the upper link mount ontop of the housing your all good..

i wanted a little more up travel and not wanting to put this thing at the height it was before i will notch the frame about 1" to allow for .5" and deflection..
front end it mocked up i had built a upper cross bar to pick up the 2 coilover hoop's and will use some inner-locking tube clamps so it can be removeable.
i moved onto the rear which i knew had some rust on the frame but after taking the stock x-members out i really saw how bad it was, so now it time to do a back half on the frame. allot more work than i planned on but to late to stop now, dropped the tank out started mock up of rear lower links and time for more rust repaire! atleast there will not be any left in this thing when im done..

Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
rear diff housing set up going to disc brakes in the rear..

some more rust pics

so built some new body mounts for the new rear back 1/2..

new rear frame section and the start of rear suspension

really didnt want to cut into the body so i built a cross member as high as i could and mounted coilovers to the back side of the axle.

tg rear link kit is more or less set up for airshocks in the rear (3link) i did not want to run them especially as a daily driver so i had to change things arouns a bunch.
cut the upper link mount and pan hard mount in 1/2 and just used the upper front section, i wanted a longer panhard also to help with the rear steer of a 3link so i extended towards the drivers rear tire as much as i could.

and since i made my frame tucked up more than stock i raised the panhard mount about 1.5" so i could still use the tg frame panhard mount.

the frame mount needed to drop down so far i didnt want it to put to much pressure on the new frame with twisting, so i added a formed piece of tube to slide through the mount and fully weld it.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
can also see it as being the upper tube in this pic. served as a x-member agian for the rear of the stock fuel tank.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 184378
awesome work man
88runnasr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 47016
sick taran
Old 04-16-2012, 09:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6363
NICE !!!

why not a triag'd 4 link in the back ?
IRUNROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRUNROCKS View Post
NICE !!!

why not a triag'd 4 link in the back ?
did not want to change up the fuel cell just keep it in same general area, have done them lots in 4runners and with this one i didnt feel the need to recess into the floor at the time.
If the body work for the most part was not finished before having to do a back half on the frame then i would have and most likely turned it into a removable top...

Old 04-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6363
OK, understandable, just thought the tank was easily moveable to put behind the rear axel, even the elect harness is long enough.

keep up the good work.

id really like to see one of these TG kits work in person.

Last edited by IRUNROCKS; 04-16-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
fuel tank mount

upper frame mount

diffs taken out and fully welded and about 4 coats of paint

front frame with some paint still waiting on my mat to fill the hole to come in..

notched the frame for panhard clearance

front stock x-member was beat up really bad with 2 other x-members cut of and welded to it and taken off, stock weld nuts were starting to pull through also so i thought i should fix it since im here..
built a 1/4" thick cover that is fully welded on with new weld nuts on back side , should not have to worry about it now.

front diff put back in and setting up brake lines, used some new stainless ones with banjo bolts directly to caliper to get rid of the p.a hard lines.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
Onto the rear brake lines, fuel tank re-installed and hooked back up, the front tank bolts all broke so i had to fix those.

rear disc kit, mote carlo calipers and pads, flex houses, machined out rotor's to fit over axle hats, and some caliper brackets we had in stock.

built a removable hoop x-member for the front, has some interlocking tube clamps for it.

re mounted the compressor for the airlockers, way easier to take off now and about the only place i could fit it.

air box was always just kinda dangling in there so i built a proper mount for that also and moved and re installed steering res.

one more

So this has turned into way!!!!!!!! more work than i thought, but i can kinda see the light now. coils might be here today for c/o's and then i can properly set up pinion angles, adjust links and tighten everything up. had some new hydro assist line's made for me yesterday so i can re route them with the link set up. and i can probly drive it at shop by weekend...stay tuned..

Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6363
are those the poly perf coil over mounts on rear axel??
Old 04-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
Quote:
OK, understandable, just thought the tank was easily moveable to put behind the rear axel, even the elect harness is long enough.

keep up the good work.

id really like to see one of these TG kits work in person.
kits work great just wanted to change it up a bit to work with my needs, like not wanting to cut into the cab floor of the truck and not running airshocks for a streetable rig, also wanted the rear panhard longer then what the kit offered and to through the coilovers behind the axle to get a littlemore uptravel.
Quote:
are those the poly perf coil over mounts on rear axel?? they might have some but i just built them myself out of 1/4"..

Old 04-16-2012, 01:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 48072
Quote:
are those the poly perf coil over mounts on rear axel??
If they are not, I am a fan of these RuffStuff brackets

I am impressed with the work you have done here. Good job making the Trail-gear kit work for your needs.

Last edited by Mawnov; 04-16-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Mawnov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
thanks and here is a bit more..

made allot of progress, all the brake lines were finished and bleed,new hydro lines routed and steering bleed,new arb lines routed and strapped in, steering all tightened up and set, coilover springs came in so was all installed, front calipers were tagging inner wheels so the had to be ground down a bit. links all tightened and set to correct length's and w.b, exhust built and mounted, new blue top optima battery installed and hold down mount. drive line installed in rear but i think i will need to shorten shaft atleast a inch now, we put a new rear hatch (gate) on the runner with new glass,sliders,wipers and motor on the inside works amazing now!
And over the weekend my buddy came in and did some body work on her getting close!!!! maybe painted in 2 weeks..

was going to install some fiber glass flared fenders but thought it looked a little weird with only the front flared since i can do rear, so we put the steel ones back on wasnt happy with the fit of the fiberglass fenders either so forgot about it..

Old 04-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 6363
WOW NICE
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 132582
glad you got rid of the rust and saved it. looks great now like the use of speed hole for gas tank mount
toyoturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #20 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyoturd View Post
glad you got rid of the rust and saved it. looks great now like the use of speed hole for gas tank mount
yea i dont know why i have such a soft spot for toyota's there all rusty as shit around here

Old 04-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #21 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
finished off the last of the body work and prep work, used a tough gravel gaurd on very bottom of rocker's and rear gate, inner wheel wells.

hood was de-greased and prepped

and bamo splashed some paint on it, pretty hazzy after, used a epoxy sealer,3 coats paint, 2 coats clear should be good enough..now time for all the little things to finish up. should be having the new winshield right quick.

not very good pics but this is the color

Old 04-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
wife actually like's to drive it ! bought a complete ac set up for it maybe install that some time? got the rear rattles out of the passenger door fixed installed new seal, finally put a rear view mirrior on it, through the sliders and rear bumper back on it. bolted down the very rear body mounts. have new headlight's and markers to through on.
also need the fairlead and front license plate mount to go on..drives great want to add a rear sway bar just to get a little bit of the roll out of the corners out of it. here are a couple pics from today...not clean

yes that is right it's a car seat...

Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)
I Lovermont

Member # 181835
Send a message via AIM to Hyde802
Way to bring an old runner back to life! Looks great!

Were all mad here
Hyde802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 184378
great job, lots of work into this thing..
88runnasr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 18997
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88runnasr5 View Post
great job, lots of work into this thing..
yea allot more than i thought i was going to have to new back 1/2 on the frame was not really in the plans but after cutting out the stock old x-members in the back it was waaaaaay gross. i wanted to lower it down a bit more and springs were not going to get it to the height that i wanted so decided to link it and it just snow balled. could have paid off my d-max but that is no fun glad you guys like..