Bypass Idle Air Control? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 140312
Bypass Idle Air Control?

Is there a simple way to bypass the high idle Air Control valve on my 89 22RE? From what I can tell there is a coolant hose that runs in there that switches the valve once it gets warmed up.

I have seen someone put some duct tape over the intake for the valve, but I'm looking for something a little better, that can be switched on and off.

The truck is my DD, but I use it for hauling firewood out back, and the high idle is a real pain. I'm sure you guys do something all the time for crawlers.
sometoyotaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 31353
Send a message via AIM to Kaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by sometoyotaguy View Post
Is there a simple way to bypass the high idle Air Control valve on my 89 22RE? From what I can tell there is a coolant hose that runs in there that switches the valve once it gets warmed up.

I have seen someone put some duct tape over the intake for the valve, but I'm looking for something a little better, that can be switched on and off.

The truck is my DD, but I use it for hauling firewood out back, and the high idle is a real pain. I'm sure you guys do something all the time for crawlers.
The valve is spring operated and slowly opens\closes depending on the coolant temperature. Not sure why you want to eliminate it? It's only running at high idle for a few minutes
Old 04-17-2012, 01:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 140312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptain View Post
The valve is spring operated and slowly opens\closes depending on the coolant temperature. Not sure why you want to eliminate it? It's only running at high idle for a few minutes

I drive in, and load up. 4 Low isn't very low on these things, and tight areas are harder to deal with. If it's warmed up, the regular idle isn't bad. Usually, it's cold enough out, that I'd have to wait 10 min for it to warm up enough to kick down.

Maybe, I'll see if I can find another assembly and see if I can mod it with a screw or something. I don't want to mess up the original.
sometoyotaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 187757
someone on here posted up how to adjust the valve. You had to remove it and then adjust it. As for your problems, do you have a stock 192 thermostat in it? Is it working properly? Make sure you don't have any air pockets in the cooling system, as air pockets trapped in the auxiliary valve will fool the valve into thinking the engine is cold, and will fast idle. If you are waiting for it to warm up before you go, you'll be waiting some time. With efi engines, as soon as you have good oil pressure then start driving. The driving will warm the engine up faster than fast idling it will, and you won't be getting zero miles to the gallon while doing it.
Unclejesse88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.