3YLSYKR'S '85 4Runner Toy Build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 219782
3YLSYKR'S '85 4Runner Toy Build

Motor/Exhaust:
Newly rebuilt motor by a Toyota Technician.
LG cam
Header
Magnaflow catalytic converter
Magnaflow muffler 2-1/4" exhaust
Spark plugs
Spark plug 8mm wires red

Drivetrain:
Factory axles with 5:29 gears
Detroit locker (has almost a 1/4" turn of play in driveline. Think I have a bad locker unit. Time for a replacement when I can save up)
Synthetic fluid in trans, t-case, differentials

Chassis:
Trail gear axle truss on front axle

Suspension:
Marlin crossover steering
Marlin longer rear springs and RUF fronts

Wheels/Tires:
35x12.50 bfg mud km/t's
Black steel wheels with 1.5 wheel spacers

Body/Visual:
It has a pre-82 front grill/headlight conversion
Aftermarket bumpers and sliders
Manual temperature gauge
Grant GT wheel with relocated horn button
Removable doors with pins
Seat covers with seat belt shoulder straps
Window visors
New standard light bulbs all around
New front wiper blades
Dash mat cover

Future Modifications:
Window tint
Low profile bug shield
New rear window regulator and motor
Upgrade the intake manifold with a newer year one that doesn't angle down
Upgrade the throttle body with a larger 2.75" diameter Toyota Supra one
Upgrade the head from newer year or new aftermarket one
Upgrade the header to a Doug Thorley Tri-Y header for more low end torque
New door regulators (drivers seems to be sticking and wearing out and the door handles seem to be loose and have play in them even with new handles)
New bucket seats with seat warmers wired in
Add shoulder seat belts to roll bar for back seat passengers
New black vinyl carpet for entire inside area
Custom cubby hole storage areas in side panels in back
Custom center console out of aluminum
Swap out door panels, dash, mirror, seat belts, ect...from brown to grey (if I don't paint some things and replace others making them all black)
New front windshield
New tubular rear bumper with corner guards and receiver for towing the atv's
Upgrade the alternator to larger GM with adapter
Upgrade power steering setup to GM so cheaper to fix, easier to find
Custom short ram intake
Soft/Bikini top
Custom security box for when top is off
Dual t-case setup
Upgrade headlights to projectors and hid's
Add lights to front bumper and back bumper (possible hid's)
New clutch, stage 1 kit with everything I need
Over sized valves
Catch can setup (maybe)
Turbo setup
Meth injection setup (will adapt my manual system from my diesel truck I had)
Hidden antenna
CB radio
CD player with speakers and mp3 plug in adapter
Floor mats
Eagle 589 style wheels in black
Magnet for oil filter
Traction bars for rear
Welded on skid plates for differentials
Disc brake upgrade with 3" wider over all stance
Relocate parking brake to rear axle like it should be (safer for if lose drive line)
Fender flares (undecided)
Repaint with rustoleum paint on body and top.
Injectors with stainless braided lines (not sure if there are better rails)
Fuel pressure regulator
Custom built switch panel for all of switches, lights ect...
Rear defrost switch wired in
Coolant filter
External trans cooler
External trans filter
Steering stabilizer (if there is one single or dual)
Splash shields for front fenders
New rear wiper arm and blade if can find one or update for it
Fix hazzard lights that dont work

I'm looking to get back into wheeling again and learning more about these 4Runners from here.
I'm open to advice, tips ect...on upgrades, should and should not do's, anything...

Last edited by 3YLSYKR; 11-30-2012 at 10:01 AM.
3YLSYKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 219782
I currently don't have a stereo installed in the toy, or any speakers. I am thinking about one of the marine style setups with flip down security cover that's smoked so you cant see it. I was thinking about a single 10" sub and couple 4-6" round door speakers and a couple 6x9s in the back and an amp placed somewhere. What worries me is that when I wanna take the top off in the nicer weather, people will see stuff and steal it easily. I am trying to find a way like jeeps have to keep things anti theft for the most part as far as stereo and maybe a lock box of some sort and maybe a key lock upgrade on the glove box if that's possible? Trying to think ahead so I don't have to go through it all more than once. Anyone have any tips and ideas on what I could do?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 219782
I have a build thread on www.yotatech.com and trying to transfer info from there to here but I'm just going to try to remember everything and sum it up here.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 112905
I can think of two should dos for sure. I'm getting into the toy world myself have learnt a lot here.

1- post pics

2- read the bible. Especially the build ups compilation page.
M&C_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 219782

Last edited by 3YLSYKR; 11-29-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 219782
I have a problem with the rear locker. I have torn the rear apart and looked at everything and it's what I figure is the problem. I can turn the driveshaft almost a 1/4 turn. It has a lot of play in it and the axles seemed fine. I go to take off from a stop and it jerks because of it. I can limit it by going slow or slipping clutch or pre loading it before I take off. I forgot to get the numbers off the locker to see if there is a rebuild kit for it or not. I hope so because new ones are not cheap. Some pics of it while out.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 219782
I like how well the window visors tuck in behind the body to keep from ripping off from wind.

Light tabs

Lights

I ported my stock tb quite a bit and it's helped wake up the motor more and give it better response and power gains throughout the rpm range for better all around driving, pull, acceleration and more.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 219782
New matching electric horns from speedinc

Painted up the center console from brown to black.
I wanna put a light in the back of it to light up the back seat area on the bottom maybe.

I painted the hinge black as well after these pics.
Now I have to touch up the lid as I have scraped it good after my last adventure to 5 mile pass with my dog.

My drivers side leaks on rear axle, need to get all parts needed and replace seals so it will stop, and put new shoes on for now so I have better brakes as well as get rid of the LSPV in the rear and replace with adjustable valve up by the master cylinder. I also put new master cylinder for brakes on and now leaks at booster so need to remove and rtv it up so it will stop doing that.

Last edited by 3YLSYKR; 11-29-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 219782
Only way to get new pulley to work is with some washers. The washers are flat, just weird lighting shadows in this pic make it look funny.

New lenses

Couple pics from 5 Mile pass recently

Last edited by 3YLSYKR; 11-29-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 219782
This thing needs new front driveshaft. It still works good in 4x4 and climbs so easily. Few pics of some about 30 degree inclines I have climbed in 4 low no problem.

I'm sure I have forgotten a few things but plan on keep updating, fixing, and working on this thing to make it look and run better as time goes on. I plan to boost the truck with a small jetta or srt4 neon sized turbo for extra towing power. This thing drives well on freeway and has good power for N/A so far but will need more to keep up to speed with two bike trailer and couple atv's and gear.

It has a whining noise I thought went away do to upgrading tensioner pulley and egr part I found used but still there. Might be another pulley somewhere as I replaced the belts. I need to install my GM alternator with new bracket relocation kit.

I wanna know it it's better to have the rear shocks as I have them now or to put them both on top of rear axle and angle them to center of truck as they extend up.

Also debating on the coil springs on top of leaf springs "zuk" mod if it helps or not for on or off road.

I plan to move the battery to drivers side and intake with short 90 degree intake for better quicker flow. I have 2" body lift added to my 4" or so suspension lift. The body lift kinks the stock intake hose a little bit.

I also ported and matched the AFM and and adapter I have for filter. I want to find and upgrade to the supra AFM and TB and newer year intake manifold.

I need to adjust the valves as they are a little noisy. I would someday like to upgrade to a tri-y header setup for more low end power over the one I have now. I have installed a new tps sensor and adjusted the AFM per how the plugs look. I have the timing set at about 8 degrees.

I will be updating the headlights to open beam ones so I can run HID kit in them as well. I have mismatched side mirrors and wanna upgrade to new ones and possibly bigger ones for more viewing area if I find some.

I want to put in some manual bucket seats in front and new seats in rear with shoulder belts hooked to roll bar. I will eventually paint all the brown interior dash plastic black and replace the brown door panels with sheet metal and add sheet metal panels to interior sides after adding sound and temp insulation and panel to tail gate.

I think I need to put a new tailgate window motor in, cant get the window to come back down now and worked find yesterday. I need some window moldings on doors and tailgate to keep from ratteling sometimes.

I need to adjust the clutch cable and find and install new ebrake cables. It has a tcase mounted ebrake but cable snapped and I took it all off but the rotor on the driveshaft for now. I am thinking about putting it back to stock as it's safer in case ujoint or driveshaft goes.

This should be enough for now lol, enjoy. Please comment with questions, hints, tips whatever. Looking to learn more about these motors, trucks, and upgrade and improve what I can.

Thanks.

Last edited by 3YLSYKR; 11-29-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 109758
Thats a great looking 4runner and honestly it has a nice stance to it. if you ever do some serious crawling i would arm it with rear bumper. to protect it from major Lower body damage. Hopefully it stays nice like that and doesnt end up being chopped and screwed and fucked up looking like quite a few 4runner on here!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52396
I like the round headlights
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 219782
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyD1 View Post
Thats a great looking 4runner and honestly it has a nice stance to it. if you ever do some serious crawling i would arm it with rear bumper. to protect it from major Lower body damage. Hopefully it stays nice like that and doesnt end up being chopped and screwed and fucked up looking like quite a few 4runner on here!
That's one of the next things I am doing is the rear bumper with side guards and receiver built in to tow the quads. I think the stance is a lil low in front maybe but over all pretty good. I don't plan to beat it up much or chop and stuff to it. I wanna keep it as nice as possible. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 219782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex123456 View Post
I do too, stands out and makes it more rare. I get told people think I'm a jeep at night lol.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex123456 View Post
x2. Those look baller in there and fit well.

1982 Toyota 4x4 - [URL="http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774031&highlight="]The Dirt Squirrel[/URL]: Phase II underway: 4.3L CPI, TH350, Toy 2.28/D300 OTT doubler, D60/14B/5.13s, f150 RUFs, artec linked rear, Profender c/o's, 44" Skinny Boggers, fool hydro...

1992 Dodge D350 Cummins tow whore
1979 Toyota Hilux 2wd DD with a 2rz. Turbo coming soon.
the_white_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 50786
I'm also curious to know about the slop in the rear end. My 85 has a Detroit rear as well and does the same thing. My local driveline shop said its normal for the Detroits to do that but I'm hoping that's not the case.
ctcballer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 92964
Nice rig. Don't raise it higher in the front. I'd take the 2" body lift off, but that's just me. You'd have to redo the sliders and front bumper. Some people like body lifts for access to things. You could drop it to a 1" or 1/2" if you need clearance for something.

As for the rear locker problem, Detroits are inherently known for having play in them, and especially evident with an auto trans going into reverse, but I don't know, the early ones didn't have the soft lock block things in there, maybe it's an earlier one. I like mine they are tough and they work.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 219782
I've considered taking the body lift off for better handling and less sway in wind and cornering. Yeah I will have to redo the sliders and bumpers. I was out wheeling and flexed it a lot and stuffed the drivers front in the fender and had room on drivers rear as I was leaning to drivers. I would just be afraid of not having the flex I do now with less clearance and less flex of suspension before tires hit. I haven't rubbed my tires yet which is nice.

I can go down a dirt road and the truck bounces and bumps a lot and get some bump steer. I didn't think I would get much or truck bounce with the longer leafs for better ride and cross over steering. Maybe need to fab a steering stabilizer to the front? Maybe my shocks are getting worn out? I know the truck is kinda light and will bounce.

I really want this rear end problem to be fixed so maybe I can order a newer one and install and wont have the problem anymore if they have improved over the years. If detroit lockers are known for slop then I want to look at something else that wont have slop and be a lot better.

I just saw there are some high angle rear end cases out there. I need to see if mine had one and if not if i would be better off with one. I would like to get one of those flex breathers for the rear instead of the long hose up to the frame. Either that or cheap air breather filter like I have done on my car's 9" but I don't want fluid to leak out so maybe the flex breather is best.

I need to order and paint and install some diff guards front and rear.

I read about bearings in the front going bad and there is a kit to fix this and get rid of them. I wonder if mine are bad and I might be getting play out of them?

I need to figure out if my shocks are bad or still good enough for a while and what proper shock length to get when need some. Speaking of shocks, I wonder if the kit from Davez offroad is better having the rear shocks on top of axle and angled in instead of how mine are now?
Old 05-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 219782
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_white_shadow View Post
x2. Those look baller in there and fit well.
Thanks. Not best form fitting with the old grill as the grill covers a bit of the lights but not much to hurt light output and still looks good despite the gap between corner lenses and lights.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 126578
Maybe it's just me or the picture but it looks like the pinion gear is messed up in that picture?? Look towards the top of it.. Maybe that might have something to do with your slop?

2004 chevrolet 2500HD, 6.0, tow pig!
MTMudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 92964
People have 37" tires and no lift, but they cut the fenders.

Have a shop look at your rear diff, and see what's up.

Bump steer could be front caster angle.

Diff breathers are easy, some rubber trans line up to a plastic carb fuel filter.

A front rebuild or at least an inspection is never a bad idea so you can get familiar with the knuckles. I have never used the trunion eliminators, just Koyo bearings from Marlin's knuckle rebuild kit.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR View Post
I like how well the window visors tuck in behind the body to keep from ripping off from wind.
Nice 4 runner.

Hey, nice coozie! I have to get more of those!

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs http://www.12voltguy.com/
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 219782
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYOTAPARTS View Post
Nice 4 runner.

Hey, nice coozie! I have to get more of those!
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone would notice and comment about it or not.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 219782
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTMudpuppy View Post
Maybe it's just me or the picture but it looks like the pinion gear is messed up in that picture?? Look towards the top of it.. Maybe that might have something to do with your slop?
It must be the picture. Nothing is wrong with it and was fine when I had it apart.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3YLSYKR View Post
Thanks, I was wondering if anyone would notice and comment about it or not.
lol, I just now used your pic to find a new supplier for these. We have been out for a few years now because the company that was making them for us went out of business. If you want one of the new ones pm your address. Thanks for the pic

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs http://www.12voltguy.com/
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote