1982 Toyota Pickup Rebuild - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 214795
1982 Toyota Pickup Rebuild

Ive got a couple questions regarding yotas.. im not too familiar with them yet. my dad and i have the chance to pick up a 1982 toyota pickup for free. its sitting on a guys farm property and he wants it gone. its a straight axle of course, everything is stock from what i understand. (havent seen pics yet). he says its got a fucked transmission and somethings wrong with the motor. my questions are:

how easily can i pick up a 20R or 22R motor and transmission(idk what its got)? for how much? wheres the best place to look?

this year has a carb setup as opposed to fuel injection iirc, is it best to keep this or drop in a fuel injected motor? would this screw with smog at all?

im looking to make this a weekend wheeler/beater truck. it wont ever be a dd. if i nab this ill replace the motor and tranny, and then start building up the axles and making a nice little toy to mess around in. any help is appreciated, if i have more questions (im sure more will pop in my head..) ill post em here. thanks fellas!

Last edited by 2004xlmiller; 07-03-2012 at 11:05 PM.
2004xlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 52443
Engine: LCEngineering.com

Tranny: marlincrawler.com

Else: Craigslist, ebay, pirate 4sale area, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 214795
thanks, ill look into those sites. and yea i was planning on looking here for alot of the other yota parts lol.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
LRC

Member # 203358
If you want to stay with the 4cyl series and want the most power and easiest way to do so. go with a carbed 22R-e the only E part is the motor itself all the EFI stuff is deleted and you just run a webber. quite simple and you`ll get way more power than just a 20-22R. (if u want it) my buddy runs one. and its not fresh by any means but it pulls 41" iroks w/ 4.56 gears down the pavement like no tomorrow up hill, flat ground it doesnt care. my brand new built 22r on 37's w/ 5.29 gears wont even pull like that...
just a suggestion, do what you want. but if your gona spend a few hundred bucks on a good re-build. might aswell find a 22RE and get the most bang for your buck. just an opinion.

good luck and post up the progress on the rig
LRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 223037
I've got tons of parts if your interested including rebuilt axles, transmission and transfer case. Engine parts and pretty much everything else, including a sandblasted and painted frame.

highvoltage77@hotmail.com

john
jrbenz is offline   Reply With Quote