Pirate 4x4 banner

Project: An Old Friend Lives

15K views 127 replies 23 participants last post by  250f4life 
#1 · (Edited)
Project: An Old Friend gets a 3rz!

I parted out my old rig, Project Sr5. I never really enjoyed the one tons. I miss being linked and coilovers, it's feels weird going back to leave springs.
Rip

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Back in high school my best friend had a 85 regular cab. We tinkered with it but being the broke kids we were it took awhile. We did the usual smitty built bumpers and roll bar. Eventually we put some some 5.29's, lockers, 33" Thornbirds and a 4" lift kit. We were alittle slower than y'all west coast boys, Marlin hadnt long started up I think and the Internet wasn't in every home. Anyways this truck sat at my best friends moms house for years.

Attachments

#4 ·
After Tellico closed that was pretty much the end for him. So the truck sat until about 6 months ago. He would never consider anyone else buying but me. I finally talked him out of it instead of letting it just waist away. He knew it would be in good hands and that I'd never sell it. We took quit a few trips in it when we were kids to Tellico and Chattanooga. Man Thornbirds were loud and we were packed in tight with all our camping gear but we were having fun.

Attachments

#5 ·
I had quite the parts list in the basement because I was gonna build a sammi on toy axles with a 3rz. When he agreed to sell me the truck plans quickly changed. The motor ran like a top even after sitting all those years. We had a trip planned so I tossed my Longfields in, full hydro from Psc and my Beadlocks with red labels. And went wheeling.

Attachments

#6 ·
I didn't do high steer this time around, after talkin with Psc and seeing Brain Ellingers luck with low steer I figured I'd give stock steering with Arp studs a try. Psc said he thinks high steer adds leverage to the set and that's what causes the studs to sheer off or rip out the knuckle. I drilled the stock arms out and used 3/4 Chromolly hiems from Ruff Stuff.

#24 ·
Picked up a 12 gallon cell from summit and some Walbro pickups. I used 2, 3/8ths inverted flared t's. 3/8 brake line with the fitting already on them and submersible fuel line for the couplings. I put 2 pickups in the rear of the tank and 1 front and center in the front.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.