Pirate 4x4 banner

Horsepower

929 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  boricua 
#1 ·
Originally posted by DRM
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Ok ready, first pull off the efi fuse for a couple of seconds, then reinstall it. Grab some Autolite #65 plugs, and side gap them at .048. Set the valve clearance to .011 cold. Install the factory carbed thermostat {Pappy: it's a 180* vs. 190*). Adjust the AFM 3 teeth rich (under 5000 a.s.l.). Start the motor, let idle till you reach operating temp. Set the timing at 16* "not short circuted," {Pappy: about the same as 8* shorted} then take it for a putt, re check the timing, and enjoy. Leave the airbox alone, for it's not a cause of starvation on a stocker, and don't worry about the muffler for now. If you're going to modify the exhaust, start with a header, and 2.5" headpipe."

A follow-up from later that day:

"... you pull the EFI fuse to start the ECU's regathering of fuel mixture readings, because you are altering them via the AFM. The #65's are a hotter plug, and will in this case create a more efficient burn. You WILL NOT detonate when the timing is set 16* NOT SHORT CIRCUTED, because the end reading when short circuted will be 8* advanced. The afm adjustment enrichens the motor aproximately 3cc. This is necessary due to the timing advance, which requires a proper mixture."

I found the AFM 3 teeth to be too rich for my high desert home (driveway is 5200 ft) and have backed it down to 1 tooth rich.

What do you mean by set AFM 3 teeth rich? How is that done? I would like to try this. thanks in advance...

Harry

See less See more
#2 ·
I found the AFM 3 teeth to be too rich for my high desert home (driveway is 5200 ft) and have backed it down to 1 tooth rich.

What do you mean by set AFM 3 teeth rich? How is that done? I would like to try this. thanks in advance...

Harry[/QUOTE]
Take a razor blade and cut open the black plastic cover on the Afm, you will see a small spring loaded gear. Mark it's current setting with a sharpie then loosen the set screw and reset it 1 to 3 teeth, I don't remember but I think you rotate it counter clockwise. I recommend 2 teeth that's what I'm running. When you find the setting you like silicon the cover back on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.