Pirate 4x4 banner

85 4runner 1UZ Swap questions

25K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  3uzfte 
#1 ·
So I have been toying with the idea of buying a performance engine or a 1UZ-FE in my 85 4runner. If I remember right it has a W56 that year?

I am running dual T's and want to ideally keep my tranny and cases, I have 4.88 gears and detroit a front and rear with Longfields 30 splines up front, 5th stud and all upgraded hardware. Should the rear be up to the task of around 250 hp?

And what other drivetrain mods would I have to do to make it work where I'm not tripping on braking my truck and can have fun without worrying?

Thanks

Toby

#3 ·
Depends how much you want to spend, 1uz right will be $$$ adapters I wouldn't keep the w56 I'd upgrade to r150 or keep the auto behind it. I'd just go 2/3rz if you don't want to change the whole drive train and iv seen a Turbo 2rz pushing 800hp forget if it was wheel or crank just Google paradise racing to see what the motors can do.

#4 ·
There's a whole thread on this already.

We've discussed the pitfalls of the swap in terms of W vs R series, and mini stuff.

From everything said, the W56 won't hold up. I'm not sure what the difference is between the W58 and W56, but I know of a few Cressida guys with 1uz's and W58's, and they beat the piss out of them with no dramas.

1uz = $500-1000
Adapter/Clutch Etc = $2000 (ballpark)

Then you've got a radiator, engine mounts, wiring, exhaust... I don't really think you can do one of these swaps for less than $4000.

#9 ·
You could put in a junkyard 1uz and run a hybrid auto with a Dana 300 with 4:1 kit behind it

Sell your great running set up with duals and be very little into the set up I kick myself for not going that route

But shifting through the gears with the 1uz sure makes me feel like I'm going fast :)

#15 · (Edited)
I bet I have under $1500 in my 1uz/dana 300

Motor, trans, computer and wiring. $500
Jeep aw4 tail housing and output shaft $110
Dana 300. $250-300
Dana 300 to Toyota drive shaft flanges $140
Aw4 to clocked dana300 $150?
Misc. $200

Fuck that inchworm adapter. The aw4 tail housing is easy to find for $40 which is much better than $800.

Wanna keep it all toyota? Car-part.com has early T100 transmissions and transfer cases for as little as $250. Pull the tail housing and transfer case off, scrap the trans and still save a ton of cash.

#21 ·
Wtf? no manual tranny on a 1uz in any US(or california) vehicle was ever sold by toyota since 1989. You get an a341e or later, post 1997 a650(?) w vvti engine, Thats it. Why do you think people are shopping in australia for bellhousings and flywheels?

Ur thinking about the 2jz/w58 sc300 variant offered til 97 or so?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.