Oil in Coolant 22R - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 108558
Oil in Coolant 22R

I acquired this 84 4 runner which apparently had been put through the ringer. After having no heat, I pulled a rats nest out of the blower, replaced the heater core, and the radiator cap as it was not holding pressure. Next I started bursting all rubber heater core lines. Replaced those. Then it was still running hot. So I replaced the radiator. Now, every so often, it runs hot. Checked the radiator and it is low. So I fill it and see what appears to be oil mixed with the coolant. Changed the oil and no signs of water/coolant. Pulled the valve cover and no signs there. WTF? Any help is much appreciated.
willig2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
I See You

Member # 138976
Compression test results?

I Like Bright Colors

Romans 1:28-32

Matthews 7:15-20

John 14

Surah 109

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here--> www.lugnut4x4.com
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 17904
x2 on the compression test. Sounds like you've got early stages of head gasket failure.
HalfFastFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 145793
im guessing blown head gasket! exact same issue i was having when mine went! you need to drain your oil and coolant before the antifreeze eats away at the bearings. since the coolant is corrosive on steel it will affect the bearings. but before you go tearing things apart definitely check compression! i believe around 145 psi is optimal with a 14psi difference between cylinders. and make sure you do all cylinders!
shonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Porch Monkey

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Maybe rear diff fluid is running through the brake lines into the engine. I would start by cleaning the fries from between the seats.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 145793
nice one but i feel like his question should be taken seriously because trying to track down head gasket issues and other coolant issues is a pain. had to deal with plenty of them my self so i feel for him!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Porch Monkey

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonzy View Post
nice one but i feel like his question should be taken seriously because trying to track down head gasket issues and other coolant issues is a pain. had to deal with plenty of them my self so i feel for him!
81-84 22r-re heads usually get water jackets enlarged by electrolysis. Pull head, flip over, and look how close the water jackets are to the sealing rings on the head gasket. Very common problem. Happens to the 85-95 also, but isn't as common. It is a "search newbie" issue.
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 108558
Compression is low. So I guess I need to be shopping for a new motor with all of the other fun I have been having. Correct?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 108558
Yep I'm a newbie alright but did some searching prior to posting. I thought I would post to confirm of deny what I have found. Next time I will make sure I preface that before I post again. My apologies.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
I See You

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by willig2:24007418
Compression is low. So I guess I need to be shopping for a new motor with all of the other fun I have been having. Correct?

Numbers? No, just fix it.

I Like Bright Colors

John 14

Surah 109

Old 02-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 145793
Literally you can rebuild that motor in a day if you wanted. But to do it correctly take your time and you will have a motor that runs well for a long time.

And what are your numbers on compression so we can give are two cents.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:29 AM   #12 (permalink)
I See You

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonzy:24015618
Literally you can rebuild that motor in a day if you wanted. But to do it correctly take your time and you will have a motor that runs well for a long time.

And what are your numbers on compression so we can give are two cents.
There was even a 'basic tech of the week' thread covering this the other day

I Like Bright Colors

John 14

Surah 109

Old 02-13-2014, 10:53 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 4882
Ha, I just had a similar issue last week with my 82. Cold Canada day & heat was weak so I decided to see if I can clean the heater core by flushing it with vinegar.

Not much better, so I decided to put in a new heater core and noticed rad level seemed lower than normal. I thought it was because I forgot to prime the heater core before and the burp did not remove all the air. My old heater core had build up (lint crap and leaves), so I glued in a bug screen at the inlet, tip of the day.

Took the truck with the new heater core for a long drive last sat and decided to check rad level. It dropped a liter. No unusual engine performance or sweet smelling exhaust and hard to tell if coolant in oil and the expansion tank was full (big tip to possible head gasket issue).

I put my rad pressure tester at 15 psi and it dropped 4 psi in 20 hrs. I checked the rad level and down a 1/2 liter with external leaks. I started the engine with cap off and coolant was slowly being pushed out the cap on a cold engine(-4C in garage) at idle. This was enough to convince me of another head gasket issue.

So just under 2hrs work to get head off reveals a2 small nicks (no idea how it got there) at #4 cyl fire ring (always #4 cyl.). Note how the water cleans off carbon and how the synthetic oil started to gel in the valve cover, just getting to pre-milky state.

Only able to get .001 gage under a straight edge but I'm still going to take the head in for a clean up head plain. Just waiting for new head bolts to arrive from Rock Auto (pre 85 bolts seem hard to find).

I built this 20R/22R in 2006 (using an ENGBLDR kit) and blew a head gasket in 2008. Used the newer ENGBLDR "slipper plate" head gasket in 08 and now this so I don't what's going on. I did a port and polish with S.S valve and manganese guides (nice and tight to seal up oil leaks I was having with my previous engine).

In a nut shell, don't be surprised if it's a head gasket.
Attached Images

83 Toy to be restored
82 Toy daily driver

Last edited by jason W; 02-13-2014 at 11:00 PM.
jason W is offline   Reply With Quote