Pirate 4x4 banner

camper bed

2K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  INFAMOUSBUTCHER 
#1 ·
i want to go flat bed in the back of my 82 toy long bed but i want to be able to sleep back there with an enclosed roof .

i searched and i dont think anyone would want or has done this but i want to build a flat bed with walls and a roof , basicly a regular bed with a camper shell but all one piece. and make the rear door open like a jeep cherokee. no side windows but i want a window in the back

any ideas questions comments pictures all appreciated

oh and how does tool box storage in front of the rear wheels sound? if anyone knows how a early full size dodge has one knows what im talking about

#5 ·
the weight might not be that big of an issue, but what about how hot it will get in the summer and how cold it will be in the winter.....plus the cost of a tarp, canvas versus the metal to make it.......just trying to make you look at it from all angles is all......cant tell you how many times i dont see the negatives before i start something......it could look really slick if done right, just think about vents and so on

#6 ·
there would be a slider window to access the cab and i was going to either make the roof open up or have a sunroof back there. also thinking of setting up a stereo on one side and a heater/ fan on the other side in front of the fenders then towards the back have storage compartments in the same spots

the main reason i want it to be solid is security reasons and im gonna put a body lift on the cab and keep the bed mounted stock and just build the fenders larger . keep the roof line flat so inside will be lots of head room but first of all be able to barely fit my atv in it

#7 ·
are you keeping the shape of the fenders or are you making the floor flat, if you keep the fenders you have to worry about your atv getting over them.....the security on an open back isnt that big of an issue if you use good solid steel custom storage and a good locking system

if you want to go really trick you could make your roof adjustable with some of the tent trailer posts that crank the height of the roof......put a rubber seal and seperate the roof like 3 inches from the top, use some strong netting that can handle the wind when driving and act as your vent in the summer. (i know thats far fetched but would solve your height issues. or go flat bottom and then shape your front edge that sticks up with a slight tilt to it to lessin the wind resistence

#8 ·
i was thinking the atv would fit between the fenders, i havnt put it back there yet as this is a new truck but i guess ill measure how wide my atv is and how wide the fenders are . i was gonna build the floor just like the regular bed is but have the fenders opend up more and put those storage/stereo/heater in the spots on the sides of the fenders

i also had already thought of the pop top idea but i dont think id be doing that

the main structure of this will act as a roll cage and the cab will have an exo on it

i was thinking of the rubber seal for the whole roof to be be able to open like a dump truck does then close water tight for when it rains

#9 ·
the atv will be an issue im sure, the beds are pretty small, you will probably save yourself some time and make it all flat.....put hatches to access your storage. if you need help with design or anything let me know, being out of work i have to much time on my hands and no money to finish my rig........why not trailer the atv, are you going to bring it when you go to say the con or will they be seperate trips, may be easier. just my .02

#11 ·
Bill Collins said:
most utility atv's will fit between the wheelwells,but it will need to be kinda long to fit or make a bed to sleep.that may get heavy...
thats what i was thinking.....im assuming its also a rock crawler and then again the weight comes into play with being top heavy and being sprawled out sideways on some rocks

#17 ·
I have some sort of idea that might work. Find a old crappy camper shell for sale cheap or free. I'd try a bed bob, bob the shell,and then cut out the outer sheetmetal sides of the bed, leave the top rim of the bed where the shell bolts in, bend some tubes in the fenderwells, build a cage inside the remaining bed/shell. Or exo cage it. You'd have some sort of flatbed/camper. Dunno how good it would look, but it might kick ass if it was done right and had more thought put into it. Heavy tho...

-Ian

#23 ·
How about build the flatbed portion to your liking, then add on the upper rollcage portion. Tack weld on a thin guage layer of sheetmetal as a "skin". Then do one of those rollon bedliner style coatings for insulation/sound deadening, inside and out.

You could even make the "skin" removable for the day trips. Maybe screw it on instead of welding. If done this way, you could coat the top easier too.

My $.02

#26 ·
build a flatbed, drill holes in it for 1.5" steel electrical condit.
bend hoops from conduit using na electrician's bender (it's called a hickie) buy canvas and steal your wife's sewing machine.
the preferred canvas is called "sunbrella" and it's what can-back uses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.