How do you tell if your rear axle bearings are worn out? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2003, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 481
Wink How do you tell if your rear axle bearings are worn out?

Ok...I have had to replace my axle bearings before... Gennerally when hypoid oil is in the drums well the bearings are shot and cause the axle to move around and wear out the seal. Usually you will hear a whinning like a mud tire or whirling sound if your truck and tires are quiet. But I don't have this sound and my tire/wheel spins quiet. Reason I ask is I went to the auto parts store and they want $80 a piece for Koyo axle bearings--with the retainer and both seals thats well over $100 per axle! Plus they want $75 to install the bearing! The thing is I don't really have much play like I have had before when the bearings were more worn out. I checked the bearing at the store and it actually had some play in it brand new. So I took checked out another axle in my other 4 Runner and it had the same very small amount of play and when I removed the axle from the housing you could rock the drum backing plate a bit more side to side. Since a new bearing has some play in it this is what I am feeling but how do you know if you have to much play? Is in and out side to side play ok? Is up and down play how you determine if the bearing is bad? There are no specs in my FSM that I can see! I have oil leaking out of one drum and a bit of play but my other truck has a bit more play and the seal is not leaking!

Thanks in advance,
Jason
Brutpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
4" penis

Member # 2931
ive got an 85 rear that came out of daily driver here for free

1997 fzj80 with asian won tons

Irok radial/bias 36/37" spares for 17" wheels for sale$50-75/each. Drilled/tapped ifs box, $150. 6" slee (80 front)coils, $200
Booger Weldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2003, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 20965
Some times the seal just wears out. I have an 86 4runner and had the same problem.But to get to the seal you have to take the bearing off and if its been on there very long ,they will have to heat them up and the bearing is gone!I went through two seals [advance auto] before I bought a toyota seal and no more leak.Only the drive wheel leaked though. The good thing is, the bearing where new and pressed right off each time.The locals only change 10 bucks to press the bearing if you take out the axle. My new bearings after only being in the rear for a week had play, but no up and down, I would say if you can move it up and down you may need new bearings.Larry

Last edited by Onevmaster; 09-06-2003 at 01:09 PM.
Onevmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 05:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
KLF

Member # 3910
Re: How do you tell if your rear axle bearings are worn out?

Quote:
Originally posted by Brutpwr
Reason I ask is I went to the auto parts store and they want $80 a piece for Koyo axle bearings--with the retainer and both seals thats well over $100 per axle!
FYI... last time I bought bearings I did a bunch of price shopping, the absolute cheapest place I could find (yeah, I even called a local bearing shop) was the Toyota dealer. I seem to remember they were a little less than $50 each, but that may have been with my discount.

Always buy seals from Toyota. They are the only ones that last. I learned this the hard way.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 481
Wink

Ok so far I have used in other Toyota axle seals from Federal Mogal (sp?) which worked ok, some from Beck Arnley which were repackaged--can't remember the brand and they did not look as nice as the Federals and some off brand from Kragens which I ended up returning as they only had one small lip on the seal which I did not trust. I don't have any up and down play so I guess I'm all right for now. I will check the bearing again after its off the axle and compare it to the one I felt at the auto parts store. I guess I need to renew my TCLA membership ASAP! Paul--I'm still trying to get your axle when I get a chance...I need it for my 84 XCab. Your axle won't work in my V6 Runner which is the one with Hypoid lubricant for anti lock braking in the left rear only...

Thanks,
Jason
Brutpwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 9222
gonna quote myself from another thread,bearing removal is easier than you think. to install use a long piece of pipe and pound em back on.

Quote:
Originally posted by larryboy
remove snap ring,put plywood on floor,hold assembly over head with two hands grasping the backing plate,slam spline end of axle into plywood on ground,pick up the peices.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=backing+plate

and what not to do,and how to deal with it if you do it this way.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...=backing+plate
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote