90 4runner build - Page 7 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 07:15 PM   #151 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
what are you using for the headlight buckets? hood came out nice

up is difficult, down is dangerous
Provience is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #152 (permalink)

Member # 221653
89-91 toyota bezels. With stock h6054 lights. Was going to try and mount a combination of led lights but nothing was going to look right, back to stock. These will work fine until smashed up and have to do it all over again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
thebonds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #153 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
right on, looks like it should do the job. narrowed pretty far, hopefully it won't get smashed up too soon

Old 04-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #154 (permalink)

Member # 221653
Ya. The bezels are fixed into place now. Headlights themselves are just sitting there for pics. Need to weld tabs to the tube to solid mount them yet. Then all thats left is install shorter rear coils and new triple rate kits, paint hood, finish transmission tunnel shifter boots (dropped the ball on any pictures of that), bleed brakes, and transmission fluid. Plan is to see light of day for first time Saturday with a least a shake down trip around the block.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:27 PM   #155 (permalink)

Member # 221653
Has seen the light of day for first time, however I can't get any brakes. I'm using the gm booster and master cylinder from the same donor as the engine. I have good fluid pressure at all 4 wheels. I'm getting maybe 5% of braking that should,be there. Front rotors are the ones that came with the axle. But the calipers i bought remanufactured from Amazon. I'm lost as whether I have a bad master cylinder, I need a bigger master cylinder, or possibly wrong calipers. Brake pedal feels firm but all ways goes to the floor even after lots of pumping. Feell like it is leaking some where but no fluid is leaking.

Old 04-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #156 (permalink)

Member # 25632
You need the 1 ton sized master, those calipers are huge compared to the s10 ones.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #157 (permalink)

Member # 221653

Old 04-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #158 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
https://www.amazon.com/SSBC-A1704-Br.../dp/B003VYVFSS

something like this will help out a bunch, you will be able to see what it is actually making for pressure and if it holds it. very handy when swapping around calipers and masters

Old 04-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #159 (permalink)

Member # 221653
One ton master on the way

Old 04-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #160 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 231443
Turned out awesome!
Old 04-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #161 (permalink)

Member # 750793
sweet!
jpeet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2017, 04:24 AM   #162 (permalink)

Member # 103621
Awesome
Old 04-18-2017, 06:26 PM   #163 (permalink)

Member # 221653
Thanks everyone. Looks like master cylinder will be here Saturday. In the mean time i tracked down a faulty relay that came with my wire haness. For some reason it would only work intermittently. Made it a real pain in the ads to figure out why it wouldn't start sometimes. Luckily I had two spares with the original engine harness.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:31 AM   #164 (permalink)

Member # 221653
Still waiting for new master cylinder to up, so I did,some research on rockauto this morning found brake rotors with about half an inch difference in thickness. Could very well be my problem.

So i went ahead and pulled the pistons out of the original "stuck" calipers that came with my axle. Going to get them all,cleaned up, back togethor, and hopefully bolt those on tonight and see if that makes any difference.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #165 (permalink)

Member # 727817
glad to see it out of the garage
Old 04-21-2017, 09:49 PM   #166 (permalink)

Member # 221653
Well since everyone seems to be complaining about lack of content or pictures on this board lately, while I know there are still a few bad ass builds taking place and finishing up, heres some of the nonsense I'm up too while wating for parts. A couple radiator protection plates from some junk aluminum from work and ths start of some shift knobs from scrap tube and washers.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:20 PM   #167 (permalink)

Member # 221653
Got my original calipers back on and ground down. Installed a 1 ton master, and bled the piss out of it and got brakes finally.

Put the hubs in out on the pavement and almost instantly blew up one of my selectable hub housing.

Finally having brakes decided to 3 wheel it up my wall again.

And then almost instantly the other hub blew as well.

The gears themselves are fine so for the time being I'm going to whip up some drive flanges to get by.

5" hole saw

Harbor freight 2 1/4" saw blade didn't make it through. Will have to get another tomorrow.

Going to slip the gear in the center hole bolt the flange and gear back on the rig, weld them together. Cut the excess gear off, and cap it off.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:02 PM   #168 (permalink)

Member # 221653
Got both flanges cut today. One is made from 1/4" the other from 1/2." Simply because I found it that way already cut in a 5" diameter.

Welded up flanges and shift knobs.

Lower radiator guards on.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:08 PM   #169 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Fuckin love it! Great job man. Please keep the pix coming
Old 04-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #170 (permalink)

Member # 221653
Bolted on. Ready for first run this weekend. I hope...

Last edited by thebonds; 04-27-2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #171 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
gnarly

whaddafuck happened with both hubs

Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 PM   #172 (permalink)

Member # 221653
I don't know. First one blew while backing up turning locked in on pavent. Guessing tires bit enough to pop it. The housing was just cast aluminum. I was getting ready to remove the second one, to use as a template to build mine, couldn't turn the hub, so I hopped in to move forward to relieve tension and something bound it enough to snap the other.
Guessing one of two things happened. Rear drums may be sticking a bit now, and my Rear case might have been in neutral, and that was enough to blow it. Or possibly the front output was not quite out of gear or in neutral and something bound. Either way i was dumbfounded they broke that easy.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 PM   #173 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 138976
yeah, shit. good thing it happened out the house before you loaded up and got somewhere though!

Old 04-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #174 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 52396
Love the homemade drive flanges

Alex123456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #175 (permalink)

Member # 221653
First trip out. Everything worked pretty good. Few Bugs to iron out but wheeled good all day.
No pictures of the fun stuff, but here are the few I did get for proof it left the driveway.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.