Pirate 4x4 banner

More Flex scenerio Orbit-Eyes & Johny-Joints

3K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Box Rocket 
#1 · (Edited)
This Thread is about adding AOR's Orbit Eye's and AllPro's Johny Joints together for long life BIG flex lower cost travel for ROCK RIGS.
If you don't know what these are go Search & Read
AOR
AllPro offroad

NO sand box mud puddle new wheelers here!:flipoff2:

Intension is geared to bring opinions and ideas off all the Great thinking engineers out there & how to achieve more flex for a ROCK trail rigs that will need stability on Hwy as well. (Some of us do not have the $$$ for Tow-Rig-N trailer.)
I do not mean to Bash any shop.

This is Not about who's springs to use, that question is impossible to answer and as there is NO answer as it depends on too many factors including: use, lift and the $$$ factor.

:D OK After many months of re-searching, reading, talking to AOR and AllPro, debating who's spring to use and where to put Orbits-eye's & or Johny Joints in front end, back end ,or both ends of springs.

My Idea: To keep cost down of springs with flex joints use for Example :
FRONT: Use Orbit Eye in front spring eye and poly eye in back.

REAR: Use an AOR rear spring with Orbit eye joint in the front of spring and poly eye in rear connected with AllPro's Johny joint in the grease able shackle. This should give a tad more flex because now you have added a 7-8" shackle to the pivot angle.

What are your opinions of this design ??

Here's what I have concluded.

Question to Shops:
" Can I put flex joints->IE (orbits/JJ's joints in front and back of Front springs?
Answer
"AOR" says "Do not put Orbits in both ends of front springs if driving on road" " The front end will wobble or walk side to side"

"AllPro" Advised against putting Johny joints in front shackles if driving on highway. He did agree with me that it may wobble.

BASIS/Answer:
Put Flex joint in the hanger end of front spring not shackle end if using on HWY.
Or if trail Use ONLY use on both ends of front springs.

Although you may only gain another INCH or so of travel with having Flex joints in both ends, your $$$Springs will last much longer.
"AOR" " says Expect 21-22"? inches of travel with 4" lift springs, I think that's what he said.
ALLPro quoted about 20"

Question?:
"What about the rear, joints in both ends?
Answer
"AOR": It's ok to put in both ends. the joints take a significant amount of pressure to move/twist.

"AllPro": They only have Johny Joints for the shackle end.

I would like to hear feedback on these ideas and responses.

Thank you
Ri

See less See more
#5 ·
I have AOR OE's on both ends of my front springs and X over steering, 35 BFG Muds, beadlocks, etc. and had absolutely NO steering issues on-road.

I also have Alcans in the rear with greasable poly's in the front and the AP JJ shackles in the rear (cause I already had the rear springs).

Do I wish I haad more flex? Sometimes. But it works.

#7 ·
Bones said:
:rolleyes: I probably have less flex than most on this board, and I would gladly take even less flex if the leafs would HOOK UP and not hop. Mad flex is good at times, but lots get way to carried away with it IMO
you need to just hook up a traction bar.

even though all these springs are nice, its pretty hard for me to believe that a spring wrap is going to stop axle wrap like a traction bar would.

#8 ·
toy4crawlin said:
Question?:
Are Dual shackle set ups a bad idea?
If so , why?
:rolleyes: if you have read anything here, you know the answer to this:rolleyes: stop being GAY:flipoff2:

#9 ·
Foxfab said:
I have AOR OE's on both ends of my front springs and X over steering, 35 BFG Muds, beadlocks, etc. and had absolutely NO steering issues on-road.

I also have Alcans in the rear with greasable poly's in the front and the AP JJ shackles in the rear (cause I already had the rear springs).

Do I wish I haad more flex? Sometimes. But it works.
Wow :eek:
So you have no problem at hwy speeds (70mph )?
scale 1-10 how much do you like the Orbits at both ends for front springs

#10 ·
the all pro joints are pieces of garbage that are extremely difficult to assemble. get the RE joints....

i used one at the frame end of the rear shackles and the mainleaf doesnt get all twisted up when flexed out, thus extending spring life, i would assume.

if your after more flex, these arent the answer, you need to start looking at coilovers and link suspension design....

i dont know how you could run those joints on the front and not have your steering push the springs back and forth without a panhard rod?

#13 ·
This is what I am going to put in the rear. A-P Johnny Joints ( they are a bitch to put together, I used my 20-ton press, I think the Rubicon Express are easier since they screw together). The shackles are a bit overkill but it is what I had laying, 8" X 2" X 1/2", bolt holes are 6" center to center. I originally was going to use the JJ's in a goofey leaf that I had made, but the people on this board talked me out of it!!!!!:D

Attachments

#14 ·
OOP'S said:
This is what I am going to put in the rear. A-P Johnny Joints ( they are a bitch to put together, I used my 20-ton press, I think the Rubicon Express are easier since they screw together). The shackles are a bit overkill but it is what I had laying, 8" X 2" X 1/2", bolt holes are 6" center to center. I originally was going to use the JJ's in a goofey leaf that I had made, but the people on this board talked me out of it!!!!!:D
ya I got a bar of 1/2" I'm goiing to use just cause:D :D

#19 ·
I have no experience with the Orbit Eye brand or any flex joint inside the spring eye. But, before I ever saw any warnings or got negative replies when I asked, I put the RE joints on the top of my front shackles. BAAAAAAAD idea. Death wobble was absolutely horrible with ballanced 33's. Once I got 37's and still hadn't found the problem, I couldn't even go over 15 mph or it would wobble bad enough that my truck was about to roll. Bumpsteer was also pretty bad. I would not recommend this to anyone, EVER! What really sucked was when the front end was flexed, I could turn the steering wheel all the way one direction and the body would move about 3" to one side. Crank it the wrong way and it was easily enough to make it flop if I was off camber already.

As far as wether or not they help at all, I doubt it. Look at this pic.

All it is doing is allowing the body to move sideways.

#20 ·
I feel that a guy that knows how to drive his rig with decent amount of flex, will go farther than a guy that can't drive thats got MAD flex. Theres alot of hoopla gadgets out there that don't work enough to be worth a squirt of piss,IMHO.

Oh,by the way,how many times do you need to ask this same question?

Thats gay

#21 ·
Yup.... I say it's 90 percent driving and skill. I was all eager beaver to get mass amounts of flex, then I realized it's overrated.
Now I just look for the best line and comprehend my rig's capabilities... I get where I need to go. My buddy who drives the $hit out of his 86 runner astonishes me w/ what he is able to do in his rig, and yes he's flopped it once just for test purposes:flipoff2: But he is a fine example of knowing ones rig and knowing how he can accomplish what he wants to w/ just plain old driving skill!

#26 ·
I'm not going to reply and say which one is better or what to do. But you mentioned that it's a bad idea to put flex joints in both ends of the springs if it's going to be driven on the highway.

This pic is a guy in our local club that's running AOR springs with Orbit-eyes in both ends of all springs. (sorry it's not a flex pic, but this is all I had). This truck gets driven 30 miles on the highway almost everyday and has been driven 4+ hours to Moab and 9+ hours to the Rubicon with this setup with NO adverse affects. This truck rides and tracks as nice as it did from the factory.

As for me, I'll stick with my poly bushings for a while longer.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.