Pirate 4x4 banner

Toyota MR2 Surpercharged to truck tranny

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Lord Orange 
#1 ·
I am currently working on a buggy project and I found a possible engine choice. A Toyota MR2 4agze motor supercharged... DOes any one know if the bolt pattern will bolt up to a truck transmission... The MR2 is mid engine and I cant use the tranny but a truck tranny with 2 transfercases would be real trick..

#2 · (Edited)
Well since that engine is made for a tranny to sit underneath i highly doubt it. I don't know if you can use an engine that is rear engine rear drive in a truck that is front engine rear drive.

*edit* not to mention the torque on those were horrible, You'd be better off with a 7mgte or a 6mge supra engine. And those have already been done to Lol.

#3 ·
what about the 2nd gen 3SGTE? those where turbo, so youd have some lag, but ive heard of people putting those in many different vehicles....some in things like old rear drive Carollas and such...

Doug

#6 ·
MR2 said:
might look into the 18RG engine. DOHC, around 145 hp stock. the later versions were EFI(18RGEU). Toysport.com has lots of info about these engines, as well as the ones you mentioned.
if Im not mistaken that engine is a twin overhead cam setup... the screams over 4000rpms but has no juice at lower rpms. therefore it sucks for what we do.

#10 ·
MR2 said:
another idea.....What about getting a Supercharged MR2 engine, mating it to a Corolla GTS AE86 transmission, and running that to a divorced T-case?
thats what i was thinking, is that you can run any of these engines with a little research into adaptability to trannies and go divorced. could be done pretty easily if you have ever done any other kind of engine swap not ment for the vhicle you are doing it in.... :) a little creativity and will goes a LONG way.

Doug

#11 ·
cdarthvader said:
Well since that engine is made for a tranny to sit underneath i highly doubt it. .....l.
It was also used in std aplacations too.IE: same as our trucks. you can use the std type tranny and a divorced t case, single or dual, just find out what cars had the 4ag, think it was corola

#12 ·
There is only one bellhousing out the from toyota that will work. it is from a 3S engine. The engine is in the IS100 form japan. Only car that i know of that as a 3sg3 or 3sgte that is RWD. the 3SGTE was in celica alltrac in the us but i am pretty sure the alltrac tranny will not work. You can use the AE86(corrolla gt-s twincam) tranny to a divorced t-case. you also will have to use a diferent starter than the factory 4agze engine.

check out www.club4ag.com they have lots of info for doing exactly this only 4agze's into NA corolla's.

p.s. if i could find a way to put a truck tranny onto a 4agze i would probably get rid of my mr2 just to do it in my truck. I love the 4agze great neat engine.

#16 ·
kyle_22r said:
one of those mr2 engines sounds like it would be damn cool in a sand rail or something of that nature :)
Yhea i was just thinking that that would be a sweet sandrail setup :D To bad there's no sands or dunes around here :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.