22R 2 row timing chain install - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2017, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 661586
22R 2 row timing chain install

If you want to put a 2 row chain on your 22R heres the deal .....if you have a 83 or older with the taller deck height and a 98 link chain , it will fit but you need to change the oil pump drive spline from the 1.68" length to the earlier shorter spline that is 1.200" since the 2 row crankshaft sprocket is wider , ....if you want to put a 2 row on a 85 or later you need one of the LCE kits since it is a 96 link and these were never made as a stock part in a 2 row for the later engines .....it will most likely fit in the timing cover but you need the sprockets , guides , chain and tensioner and shorter oil pump drive gear .....there is about a 2 mm difference in block height ,...the 22R's up to 83 are the taller blocks , also they have domed pistons and larger chambers on the head so the pistons don't hit ,,,,,the heads from 1st gen to 2nd will not swap , neither will timing covers , everything else should be the same ....you can tell the early heads by the round exhaust ports , the later ones have a pear shaped exhaust port ......hope this helps to answer someone's questions

Last edited by someoldguy; 05-18-2017 at 07:02 AM.
someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 30839
steel guides, single chain on the newer r motors FTW.

Bulletproof propane kits for extreme off road and carbureted engines. Please visit our website for details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TO ORDER ONLINE:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check us out on Facebook
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2017, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoldguy View Post
If you want to put a 2 row chain on your 22R heres the deal .....if you have a 84 or older with the taller deck height and a 98 link chain , it will fit but you need to change the oil pump drive spline from the 1.68" length to the earlier shorter spline that is 1.200" since the 2 row crankshaft sprocket is wider , ....if you want to put a 2 row on a 85 or later you need one of the LCE kits since it is a 96 link and these were never made as a stock part in a 2 row for the later engines .....it will most likely fit in the timing cover you need the sprockets , guides , chain and tensioner and shorter oil pump drive gear .....there is about a 2 mm difference in block height ,...the 22R's up to 84 are the taller blocks , also they have domed pistons and larger chambers on the head so the pistons don't hit ,,,,,the heads from 1st gen to 2nd will not swap , neither will timing covers , everything else should be the same ....you can tell the early heads by the round exhaust ports , the later ones have a pear shaped exhaust port ......hope this helps to answer someone's questions
nope! and you can use the 20R kit for this but you will need to modify a 84 down timing cover to fit the 85 up block.

Quote:
If you want to put a 2 row chain on your 22R heres the deal .....if you have a 84 or older with the taller deck height and a 98 link chain , it will fit but you need to change the oil pump drive spline from the 1.68" length to the earlier shorter spline that is 1.200" since the 2 row crankshaft sprocket is wider , ....if you want to put a 2 row on a 85 or later you need one of the LCE kits since it is a 96 link and these were never made as a stock part in a 2 row for the later engines .....it will most likely fit in the timing cover but you need the sprockets , guides , chain and tensioner and shorter oil pump drive gear .....there is about a 2 mm difference in block height ,...the 22R's up to 84 are the taller blocks , also they have domed pistons and larger chambers on the head so the pistons don't hit ,,,,,the heads from 1st gen to 2nd will not swap , neither will timing covers , everything else should be the same ....you can tell the early heads by the round exhaust ports , the later ones have a pear shaped exhaust port ......hope this helps to answer someone's questions
1st gen is 79-83
2nd gen is 84-88
your statement is incorrect because 83 and 84 22R and RE parts do interchange.

RCV 30 Spline axles FREE shipping.

Yukon parts on SALE
3rd Members priced right. 530-622-2148
for all your electrical needs
TOYOTAPARTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Ok, Dave please elaborate on the head swap info about timing covers and heads.... short length blocks vs long.
I get the spline drive crank collar bit.

Please' for the search idiots like me.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 53528
you will also need to clearance the inside of the valve cover on the short blocks
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb 017 View Post
Ok, Dave please elaborate on the head swap info about timing covers and heads.... short length blocks vs long.
I get the spline drive crank collar bit.

Please' for the search idiots like me.
Well, 84 down all can swap around. 85 up can do the same with each other. There is no reason for an 84 down head onto an 85 and up block (although I have seen it ) it will lower your compression considerably. So Maybe good for a turbo. 85 up head on an 84 down block wont work (without a decent amount of work) the pistons will hit the head (closed chamber head).

Timing covers for 84 down all can handle a dual row chain set up. 85 up the cover is thinner and a dual row chain wont fit. you can take a 84 down cover weld up the two top mounting holes and re-drill and it can fit an 85 up block.

Yukon parts on SALE
Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
you will also need to clearance the inside of the valve cover on the short blocks
True, for a dual row timing chain kit an 85 and newer valve cover, the baffle will need to be modified a bit. Or us an early valve cover.

Yukon parts on SALE
Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 66955
Sounds like a pain in the ass just to have a dual timing chain. What the benefits other than a mod you can list in your signature?
sherm$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 213125
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherm$ View Post
Sounds like a pain in the ass just to have a dual timing chain. What the benefits other than a mod you can list in your signature?
None except bragging rights with the faggots on Toyotaholics.

Last edited by Aisin; 04-26-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Aisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 66955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisin View Post
None except bragging rights with the faggots on Toyotaholics.
That's what I thought...
sherm$ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Ok ,thanx dave

Guess I do not get any new tech On this issue.
Datamining again....

I thought as I read the first post I had missed something.
I just misinterpreted what you wrote.
Long live the 22 series.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 187757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
steel guides, single chain on the newer r motors FTW.
Exactly, the weak link on the single chain setup was the plastic guides. use metal guides, and a quality chain set and you have no need for a dual row chain.
Unclejesse88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2017, 11:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb 017 View Post
Ok ,thanx dave

Guess I do not get any new tech On this issue.
Datamining again....

I thought as I read the first post I had missed something.
I just misinterpreted what you wrote.
Long live the 22 series.
pm me or call. If you have a specific question not covered. there are other avenues but not for the beginner.

Yukon parts on SALE
Old 04-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 166307
Thanks...
No I am covered, I was making sure I did not miss something.
I understand there are routes in a good shop to other options.

G.t.g.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 661586
corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOYOTAPARTS View Post
nope! and you can use the 20R kit for this but you will need to modify a 84 down timing cover to fit the 85 up block.

1st gen is 79-83
2nd gen is 84-88
your statement is incorrect because 83 and 84 22R and RE parts do interchange.
Ok , I stand corrected , wasnt sure if change occurred 83 or 84 , I edited original post to correct years ,,,I did recently put the double row on a 83 motor that had the single on it and it worked great , of course both were 98 link to begin with , just changed sprockets , guides , tensioner and used the shorter oil pump spline , no problems with timing cover, although a tight fit at top of cover
Old 05-18-2017, 07:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 661586
both can only be better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejesse88 View Post
Exactly, the weak link on the single chain setup was the plastic guides. use metal guides, and a quality chain set and you have no need for a dual row chain.
used both double row chain and metal guides , should be bullet proof
Old 05-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 187757
Quote:
used both double row chain and metal guides , should be bullet proof
on an 84 and earlier engine, why not. On an 85-95, as long as you use a metal guide you don't have to go crazy and buy the lce kit.
Unclejesse88 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
ADD

Member # 22080
Did a dual row on my 84 when I first rebuilt the engine cus the rubuild kit I got came with one. Had to get the dual row oil pump gear from dave. Engine shit the bed after 5k miles from a shop that put my crank thrust washers in backwards. Destroyed my engine. Got a new engine from a 94 and just went single row with metal guides. IMO the dual row robs hp (need all you can with a 22r). It's a worthless upgrade
Old 05-19-2017, 05:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Quote:
Ok , I stand corrected , wasnt sure if change occurred 83 or 84 , I edited original post to correct years ,,,I did recently put the double row on a 83 motor that had the single on it and it worked great , of course both were 98 link to begin with , just changed sprockets , guides , tensioner and used the shorter oil pump spline , no problems with timing cover, although a tight fit at top of cover
correct, I always put the 20R (dual row chain) on 84 and older engines because its a bolt on.

Yukon parts on SALE
Old 05-19-2017, 05:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 61493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejesse88 View Post
on an 84 and earlier engine, why not. On an 85-95, as long as you use a metal guide you don't have to go crazy and buy the lce kit.
The 85 to 95 block is shorter (and cam height is different) Thats why there is a different link length chain (shorter) for 85 up engines. Single row timing cover 85 up, is too thin to get a dual row chain in as well. Oil pimp is different for the same reasons and years too. Water pump is also catered to those years, 85 up and 84 down.

Yukon parts on SALE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.