22RE fuel regulator - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2004, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Does yer dewg bite?

Member # 196
22RE fuel regulator

How do i check to see if it's working on a 22RE?

In loving memory of Madelyn Rose Ekhilevsky
04/17/04 - 12/08/08
vova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 24881
I can e-mail you the pertinent pages from a 1990 FSM if you would like.
notstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2004, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 5731
Send a message via AIM to Blkvoodoo
To the rear of the fuel rail, you will find the regulator, with engine running at idle, pull the vacuum hose , listen for a change in engine rpm. removong the vacuum allows full pressure. If you have any fuel coming out of the nipple where the vacuum line attatches you need to replace the regulator.

I have actually unpluuged mine and leave it unpluuged ( cap over the nipple ) full fuel pressure all the time, runs a tad rich at idle, but other than that I haven't had any problems.

Kevin
Blkvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkvoodoo
To the rear of the fuel rail, you will find the regulator, with engine running at idle, pull the vacuum hose , listen for a change in engine rpm. removong the vacuum allows full pressure. If you have any fuel coming out of the nipple where the vacuum line attatches you need to replace the regulator.

I have actually unpluuged mine and leave it unpluuged ( cap over the nipple ) full fuel pressure all the time, runs a tad rich at idle, but other than that I haven't had any problems.
You can also jumper the fuel pump to be on with the iginiton and listen for the hissing sound of the FPR:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#FuelPump

I found that leaving the vacuum line connected to the FPR works well, I eliminated the VSV that used to control the application of vacuum and just ran the vacuum line fron the intake to the FPR. Starts and idles fine, pressure rises under full throttle application.

And a fuel pressure guage is another way to check that its working. I screwed a 0-100psi sender into the back end of the fuel rail.

Last edited by 4CrawlR; 05-30-2004 at 07:01 AM.
4CrawlR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CrawlR
I eliminated the VSV that used to control the application of vacuum and just ran the vacuum line fron the intake to the FPR. Starts and idles fine, pressure rises under full throttle application.
I believe you'll lose the idle speed "bump" when you turn on your AC if you bypass that VSV?
Old 05-30-2004, 01:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Persson
I believe you'll lose the idle speed "bump" when you turn on your AC if you bypass that VSV?
No, that is a separate VSV, which sits farther forward on the valve cover for the A/C idle up, and yes mine still works (A/C doesn't, but I use that VSV for a fast idle function by hitting the A/C switch on the dash, works well). This is the A/C VSV and the idle up valve:

The one I am talking about sits to the rear of the valve cover, between the intake plenum and the fuel pressure regulator. Supposedly, its there to fix some sort of hot start problem (similar to vapor lock) by boosting fuel pressure for a short time after starting, apparently tied in the the 4WD switch in the t-case (at least according to the diagrams in the FSM). I've had mine bypassed for about a year now and had no hot start problems.
Here's a shot of FPR VSV (light blue color w/ green connector):

Last edited by 4CrawlR; 05-30-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-31-2004, 12:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CrawlR
This is the A/C VSV and the idle up valve:

Huh, I always thought that one had something to do with the amount of power steering assist, that valve has two hoses to the power steering pump on my two 22RECs.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 4716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Persson
Huh, I always thought that one had something to do with the amount of power steering assist, that valve has two hoses to the power steering pump on my two 22RECs.
The power steering idle-boost valve is on top of the p/s pump and does go into the same idle-up valve. It works just the same as the A/C idle up, only difference is the A/V VSV is actuated electrically while the P/S idle up is actuated by hydraulic pressure in the pump.

As you can see in the photo, I have my p/s inputs plugged (red cap) right now since my p/s pump has no port for the VSV.