83 22r running rich real rich - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Brand Specific Tech > Toyota - Truck and 4Runner
Notices

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2004, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 29937
83 22r running rich real rich

whent to get my truck inspected and it failed do to HC's being to high.since their is no mixture adjustment on the 83 carbs(besides drilling out the plug on the base of the carb for the set screw).what else can it be,or can i do?could the cat be bad and causing it to do this?does this never fail fuel additive realy work or is it bs?i rebuilt the carb 2 years ago when i put the new motor in it.could it need another rebuild?
the Co's are fine.its just about 1100 rpms it starts running realy rich.it doesnt run rich at higher rpm's, but it does at lower rpm's.i just changed the oil and done a tune up on it and the plugs looked allright, just a little wore out.they did not look like it was running rich by the way the plugs looked.
hairy bean bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2004, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 37192
Check the A.A.P. diaphragm. These will get a small pinhole in them and cause an over-rich condition at idle and low RPMs.

Tim
88zook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2004, 04:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 2086
and thats where?
Old 10-23-2004, 05:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 16605
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy bean bag
whent to get my truck inspected and it failed do to HC's being to high.since their is no mixture adjustment on the 83 carbs(besides drilling out the plug on the base of the carb for the set screw).what else can it be,or can i do?could the cat be bad and causing it to do this?does this never fail fuel additive realy work or is it bs?i rebuilt the carb 2 years ago when i put the new motor in it.could it need another rebuild?
the Co's are fine.its just about 1100 rpms it starts running realy rich.it doesnt run rich at higher rpm's, but it does at lower rpm's.i just changed the oil and done a tune up on it and the plugs looked allright, just a little wore out.they did not look like it was running rich by the way the plugs looked.
WHen you say that CO is OK does that mean that it just barely passed, or do you mean that CO reads normal.

If you've failed for HC but CO is normal (ie: CO didn't just barely pass) then it's likely that you don't have a rich condition. High HC when CO is normal can be caused by many things such as poor or incomplete ignition (cap, rotor, plugs, wires, coil etc...), overly lean condition.

Generally, a rich condition is accompanied by a high CO reading. So if CO is abnormally high (but it passed) and HC is also high, yes it's probably rich. If HC is high and CO is low, it's probably not rich.

Do you know your O2 and NOx readings? A rich mixture will generally produce low NOx and low O2. A lean mixture will generally produce high NOx and high O2.
Old 10-23-2004, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 7475
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSLBOGGGER
and thats where?
It's the little diaphram on the valve cover side of your carb towards the front. Just go buy one at NAPA and replace it. 10 min. job, if thats not it , at least you eliminated that possibility, but that is most likely the prob..
YJ rears,Ford towers, 9012's, Disconects, Rear disc brakes,/ \, 63" chevy's,33/10.5s, 4.56's and rear elocker.
'84 4R EXO 5.29s front elocker rear welded,38" TSLs
'96 FZJ80 factory lockers F/R, 33's (wifes)
Monte Busselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 29937
thanks guy i will try the A.A.Pdiaphrame and see what happens.and i could be wrong on the read out ill also get the numbers off my tool box at work and see what thye are again.
hairy bean bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2004, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 13966
High HC, passing CO can also be caused by over advanced timing, vacum leaks, retarded cam timing and clogged crank vent systems. Plus what was stated before. I'd replace the AAP, check the timing and condition of the vacum lines, replace and that are bad, check the advance/retard diaphram on the dist. and give the carb a good old fashioned Italian tune up. (rev it up with the air cleaner off and choke the hell out of it until it almost dies, good for clearing semi-clogged air bleeds etc...) Change the oil and get it retested.