Pirate 4x4 banner

Help...Clicking/Grinding noise in first and second gear!!!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  blkxj33 
#1 ·
Help...Clicking/Grinding noise in first and second gear!!! I have a 92 Toy pickup EXT. 6cyl 5spd, and its on 37's. I have a grinding noise coming from what sounds like the transmission or maybe even the driveshaft (binding maybe). Whenever I am in 1st or second gear and am running up a hill or putting a good amound of load on it, it feels like a slight slip and grinding/or maybe binding at the same time. I thought it was the tranny at first b/c it has 170k on it, but then I narrowed it down to what looked like the rear driveshaft or even rearend. it is really pissing me off and I want to find out what it is. I just bought a new driveshaft bearing support b/c the old one was worn out. Someone please help me..im going to go crazy if I dont figure out what it is

#4 · (Edited)
blkxj33 said:
I just bought a new driveshaft bearing support b/c the old one was worn out.
When I was IFS with a 4" Pro-Crap II lift and 33" tires I went through three of those in a year and that was with proper D-shaft angle and the bearing lowered. The first one I got from NAPA and it lasted 2-3 weeks. So I did what every wantabe rockcrawler does, SAS, Marlin Duals and a one piece D-shaft. Oh, and by the way, same symptoms, growling, clicking, and some times it would fart, at least when it did that, that is what I told T!!!! :grinpimp:

#5 ·
I took a hard look at my driveshaft today and figured a couple of things. I need to lower the bearing...but how much???? And my pinion angle is off just a bit, i am going to take out the blocks, and add shackles and shims to get the right angle...It should be pointing directly at the bearing, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.