Pirate 4x4 banner

Thinking LC Street Longblock...what should i expect?

2K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  camo 
#1 ·
I'm probably going to get the LC engineering street longblock (130hp)...what exactly should i expect from it compared to the stock. i called for dyno sheets but they dont have any, all they could tell me was 130hp and 150ft Tq. didnt know what RPM's it was at though :rolleyes: :rolleyes: . Should i expect more pulling power(which is what i want)? more speed? im confused, what does an extra 40 hp do for me?

#3 ·
I think a full engine buildup from them is rather pricy. I instead had my block rebuilt, and got an LC cam with a Tri-Y header from another company. I also ported my head and rebuilt it with new lifters and springs.

Basically, with 35" tires, 5.29s, and being tall with a loaded bed....I can cruise the highway at about 85 no problem. I would think a good motor from LC could do what you need it to....but, if you are willing to spend that much money on a Yota motor, consider doing a 4.3 swap or something else.

#9 ·
thanks for the replys but no one really answered the question...what will an extra 40 horsepower do compared to my stock POS engine...

#10 ·
When you first get it, you'll like it. That new engine feeling will last about a week, depending on what kind of shape the current engine is in. If you're starting with 100 horses, I guess thirty is nothing to sneeze at. If you're starting out with 116, 14 isn't that much more. LCE's specs below

HP and Torque Ratings
Toyota Stock Motors 1985 - 1986 - 1987 - 1988

22R 99 HP @ 4800 RPM TORQUE 129 @ 2900 RPM
22R CALIF. 95 HP @ 4800 RPM TORQUE 129 @ 2900 RPM
22RE 116 HP @ 4800 RPM TORQUE 140 @ 2900 RPM
22RET 135 HP @ 4800 RPM TORQUE 173 @ 2900 RPM

What these guys are trying to tell you is, for that much money you should get 180 or 200 or more.

#11 ·
LC builds high quality stuff. I think it's overpriced, but it is high quailty. They are probably the best 22r engine builder there is...

I have a 1981 CA emissions truck. With 3.90 gears and 31s, it might hold 65mph straight and level on a good day.

A 130hp motor will allow you to do 85 with those gears and tires and pull up a slight incline in 4th.

That being said, is that worth the $2300 or so that LC charges? I don't think so.
Contact Ted (engnbldr) - have him to a longblock for you. With a new head, oversized valves, and an RV cam - you I'll bet you're still $500 cheaper... His motor works just as well, has all the nice features like double row timing chain.. the cam sets the power in a usable range...

#12 · (Edited)
Let me put it this way (can you sense the sarcasm?) -
I've got 1mm oversized pistons (.040") from engnbldr.com, LCE's rods, DOAs 270 cam, engnbldr.com's "high out put" head w/ oversized stainless valves and a Thorley Tri-Y header feeding a complete 2.25" exhaust. I've also removed all the smog equipment off the motor. With 31" MTRs w/ stock 4.10s, @ 1000 mi on the new motor, I measured an earth shattering 89HP at the rear wheels on a chassis dyno....big whoop....
W/ 30% drivetrain loss, I guess you could call that 130HP @ the crank.
However, you can feel it especially in the higher revs, out of 2nd, into 3rd then into 4th. It holds speed much better in 5th. The truck is waaay faster and fun to drive compared to how it used to be but then again the old motor had 320K on it...
If it's not your DD and you've got the time, go w/ a 4.3L. I just can't imagine my 4Runner w/ similar power to a newer S-10 Blazer.

#13 ·
generally the magic is in the heads with these engines, so buying a well built head from them for $1k or so and then assembling the bottom end with engnbldr's parts might be a little easier to swallow.

#14 ·
like i said earlier,without gearing for your tires,your wasting your money.with gears you will notice a big difference.in my 88 4runner i bored mine .030 over,doa head and cam,lc header(not what i recommend),balanced injectors,bored throttlebody,ported intake,2.25 exhaust,4.88 gears and i run 80-90 down the interstate.i get 22 mpg.i also tow cars on a tow dolly with it and people ridding ask if it's a v6.i towed and 84 toyota pick up back from D.C. with it no problem.this is with 33 BFG MTs.spend the money on gears first.no matter what you do to the motor,stock gears and big tires will just wear the motor out quicker.not to mention you won't get the full effect of a built motor.sorry about the double post earlier.i am not sure what happened.

#16 ·
Like everyone else said, have EB build the motor for you, do it yourself, or swap in something else, possible a tacoma 3rzfe(150hp,180 lb-ftt or torque..it puts out about 140lb ft of torque at like 1500rpm....)...LCE has quality stuff,but damn its expensive...Oh yah, and the fawkers dont tell you how much shipping is either! They just charge it to your card when its shipped! A-holes!

#17 ·
i'm not a big fan of LC.engnbldr is better.DOA head is good but engnbldr is just as good and it's a new casting for a little more than half his price.plus the head i got from DOA had the wrong size heli coils in the exhaust side.i had to change all of them.other wise it's fine but overpriced for a rebuilt head.LC header works great but their customer service leaves alot to be desired.and i got the wrong pipe for my collector pipe.if you get it from them make sure you tell them if your O2 sensor is in the manifold or right before the cat.

#18 ·
what to expect from a 30% increase in power ? seat of the pants it will be a huge improvment that will make your rig alot more fun to drive in all conditions fron highway to wheeling. regardless of what motor you building a 30% increase in power is going to make a huge diffrence.

I have a 2.6 stroker motor from LCE in my formula toyota and it flat hauls ass. running stock 4:10 gears and 37" tires it will do 4 wheel burn outs ron cement that are pretty impressive. at about 50mph it still pulls hard and has aweasome torque.

I bought the motor used and have delt with LCE a few times gettin stuff sorted out and adding their SDS engine managment system and from my experiance they have one of the best customer support and service tech deptartments in the entire aftermarket industry. In my opinion you will be happy dealing with LCE and will like thier products. top notch products and great company.

as far as their hp claims....they have a great reputation in the racing world and I would trust their HP claims.

#20 · (Edited)
i went from an 86 22rte with 150k 4.10 and 31s and maybe a bad turbo to a 84 22r with 204k, i used engnbldr kit to rebuild at school .020 over(wish i would of gone bigger) duel timing chain, lc street cam, 3 angle valve job( i didnt do the best on that), i tryed to do a little port and polishing on the head, 30lbs flywheel, header, electric fan, 38 weber and put in the turbo driven line, before rebuild the 84 was a turd(i only drove it a week) after it was very noticible in 1st-4th not as much as i wanted in fifth, offroad it was night and day between the 86 turbo and rebuilt 84 but a solid axle could of had something to do with it, in the long run i wish i would of spent my money on gears and duel tcases first cause now my trucks sittin on 36's with stock gears and i dont see too much seat time, summers almost here though, so the truck will get all my money this summer :)

#21 ·
Lowtorious said:
I've yet to see a Dyno sheet on any of the engine makers, like LC, showing that thier motors actually make advertised power...
Search on the Toyota board; I've seen plenty of good comments made about LCEs motors. I have a set of their street rods in my new 22RE that I built.
>>>*Morning! My experience is that there are lots of good builders out there, and it isn't difficult to hit 130+ Horsepower with a well built 22R/RE.

But the problem with dyno charts, (and I have seen, ran, and sat in on lots of them) is actual power is impossible to predict.

The best streetable engine I saw made an actual 143 flywheel ponies, using a stock workhorse test short block, a pair of sidedrafts, and one of our StreetRV heads with a 270/430 cam. This under perfect conditions with several extremely good techs tuning and fiddling with the powerplant.

That relates to around 100 H/P or so to the wheels, more if the rig has gears, less if it has big tires, etc...*Simple leverage affects ground output.

This is noticeable to the driver, but the engine is still a little engine, no matter what we do.

*Well, there IS the possibility of that big red button on the dash...*LOL**....*EB

#24 ·
HighToy said:
http://www.doaracingengines.com/

Call Tim. He can actually give you the info you need on his engines.
I called and he didn't have any dyno sheets either :(

seems to me that in the custom engine building world that if you want a dyno sheet then you need to buy a motor and then pay to have it dynoed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.