Pirate 4x4 banner

Paging Csudman Dual Tranny Setup

612 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  csudman 
#1 · (Edited)
as I said in the other thread I'm hacking the truck together for Moab. I wondered what your set up is all around. what lift, have you moved axles at all? what drive shaft blah blah blah.

Here is my problem. I'm 1 inch forward on the rear axle. 63" chevies, the bottom of the transfer is about an inch below the frame rail.

The front shaft (which is now in the rear) fits but will bind the CV if I drop the axle about an inch or so. That's with a 6* shim. I've just cut the perches off and rotated them about 15* and things are looking better. I'm going to go stick the axle back in real quick to see what happens.

Just curious as to what your set up is. If any of the stuff I have done is on your to do list than I want to share my info w/ you.

Jay

#2 ·
Right now. I did suspension on the simple. I'm gonna do something later but anyway. Stock springs and axle location. Maybe 1" lift from shackles.

Pinion angle is up 21*. The center of the yoke on my t-case is about 3" above the frame rails. Driveshaft is 36" long.

One thing, I think, for some reason, the 84-85 trucks cv's didnt have as much travel. Either way, at this point, I see no issues. I hope this helps you.

One other thing. Non-cv shafts are capable of more angle than cv's.

#5 ·
csudman said:
Damn, thats steep. Good luck.
uh yep......... :shaking:

well here's what I'm going to run. It's fawked as fawked can be........

35* pinion/drive shaft angle...... :shaking:

Center of tcase flange even w/ top of frame rail....

63" chevies w/ front eye exactly 12" in front of old spring hanger. Regreting moving it forward...... :shaking: (these are 3 leaf +overload)

I've clamped off the buggies for now.

6" eye to eye rear shackle

Limiting strap on center of diff.

So now we have some more answers on the dual trans option.

You can't run much lift. or you can't raise the trans through the floor.

This could change. when I get back I'm looking into high angle drive line joints. Maybe I'll get some more room........

late

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.