Pirate 4x4 banner

v8 sbc swap with ifs...

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  crash 
#1 ·
ok, long story short. I have been planning to SAS my 90' 4runner, then swap in a v8 sbc. unfortunately, saturday at the mud hole, budweiser and a deep hole provided me with a hydrolocked 3.0, so the motor swap must come first.

now, ive been searching for ideas and parts, but i seem to have hit a snag. i know downey sells an oil pan for swapping sbc's into ifs trucks, but a buddy from work told me that you must also have a suspension lift with a differental drop to clear the oil pan. is this so, because its not gonna happen. if im forced to do the SAS on a truck that dosent run, i will, but i'd rather put that off for a few months if at all possible.

#3 ·
3car said:
ok, long story short. I have been planning to SAS my 90' 4runner, then swap in a v8 sbc. unfortunately, saturday at the mud hole, budweiser and a deep hole provided me with a hydrolocked 3.0, so the motor swap must come first.

now, ive been searching for ideas and parts, but i seem to have hit a snag. i know downey sells an oil pan for swapping sbc's into ifs trucks, but a buddy from work told me that you must also have a suspension lift with a differental drop to clear the oil pan. is this so, because its not gonna happen. if im forced to do the SAS on a truck that dosent run, i will, but i'd rather put that off for a few months if at all possible.

save your self ALOT of headaches and do the SAS first and then drop the motor in..

#6 ·
crash said:
save your self ALOT of headaches and do the SAS first and then drop the motor in..
Ok, I am officially convinced. A buddy of mine has been planning to remove his toy front to install full width fullsize axles, and he said he will speed up the process to allow me to get his front end quicker.

Thanks for the input everyone.

BTW Crash, I have been following your sbc swap thread, and the information has been very valuable. Very good thread.

#7 ·
3car said:
Ok, I am officially convinced. A buddy of mine has been planning to remove his toy front to install full width fullsize axles, and he said he will speed up the process to allow me to get his front end quicker.

Thanks for the input everyone.

BTW Crash, I have been following your sbc swap thread, and the information has been very valuable. Very good thread.
glad to see you have made a wise choice grasshopper :D

glad you are able to get some usable info from the thread....

And there is another good one if you decide to cut your rig in half and run coilovers,lol....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.