Pirate 4x4 banner

Quick Axle Question

493 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Roc Doc 
#1 ·
I just got all the chromo stuff for the front so Im not worried about that. Its the back that concerns me. I want to run 38 or 39.5 Irocks on a stock 85 rear axle.The axle is trussed to all hell its just the safts Im worried about. It is also locked with an aussie. Right now Im running 37mtrs but I want something bigger. Do you guys think the rear will hold it.
Thanks Alot

#2 ·
shafts should hold. i'd think the weak point would be the ring gear. if it makes you feel any more secure, you could always buy pig's 4340 rear axles, but you need an '86-95 housing.

#4 ·
I broke several 8" 4.10 ring gears, and finally broke the pinion gear. But my use could be considered exsessive. Especially when I swapped in the front 60 and 40's. It was like, It's on now biotch! But I think if your speaking of axles in that class (D44, 8.8, 9 inch, etc. ) the 8 inch toy can take a pretty good beating with tires under 38".
Know Cory (wayoffroad) from NH?

#7 ·
I've personally seen Toy rears live through incredible amounts of abuse. Yes, they will break, but so can anything. IMO, I think youll be O.K. with what you want to run. Toy rears are tough little sumbitches...... :)

#8 ·
With 38/14.50 SX's, 5.29's (4cyl Third), and a lockrite I've broken one shaft and the lockrite.

By this weekend I'll have Pigs 4340's, a 6cyl third with a Detroit, and all new brakes, bearings and seals. It's gonna cost me about $800 by the time the smoke clears, but it will be worth the peace-of-mind.

I ran almost a full year with the stock shafts before I broke one, and that included Claw Hammer, Outer Limits, and the 'Con. So I say save your pennies and run it until it breaks.

Good luck,

Doc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.